Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Senior MP expenses revealed

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If their families live at their constituency homes then why do they need big places in London as apposed to the popular suggestion of provided (even catered) accomodation? This could pass from MPs like downing street passes from PMs, as apposed to buying a house and living free then selling it for a profit.

I'm not in the habit at all of trying to make it difficult for MPs to get on, but at the same time it just feels like they're given too much free reign over their expenses account. It's effectively giving them two salaries.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If their families live at their constituency homes then why do they need big places in London as apposed to the popular suggestion of provided (even catered) accomodation? This could pass from MPs like downing street passes from PMs, as apposed to buying a house and living free then selling it for a profit.

I'm not in the habit at all of trying to make it difficult for MPs to get on, but at the same time it just feels like they're given too much free reign over their expenses account. It's effectively giving them two salaries.

They're not backpackers...

You try working a ten hour day (despite the slurs not an unusual working day for a backbench MP - Ministers may be working even longer) and you may want to come home to something a bit less impersonal than a hotel - especially if you are succesful you may be there twenty years (or more)
  • Options
    but they would not have the coice of going to exspensive restaurants, considering they have a home in london its a nerve that they should claim for food at all

No, they have a residence in London.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp.
  • Options
    They're not backpackers...

You try working a ten hour day (despite the slurs not an unusual working day for a backbench MP - Ministers may be working even longer) and you may want to come home to something a bit less impersonal than a hotel - especially if you are succesful you may be there twenty years (or more)

But isn't that the crux. Wants vs. needs. If they want a house, they get a massive salary, they could afford another mortgage. If they need to stay in london, make some posh residential compound for them. They could be large flats, not just hotel rooms. Kitchen, dining room, two bedroom etc. - it's surely less frivolous than a 5 bedroom townhouse each?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    , they get a massive salary, ?
    :no:
  • Options
    18 months ago we were talking about MPs expenses. I bugger off for 18 months and finally the mainstream media pick up on it eh?

thesite P&D - always ahead of the game...

NB No apologies from dragging up an dead thread, cos I'm a newbie. I was looking at the last few things I'd posted on and could see the humour in this...

*awaits Dude. Thread. Dead. comments*
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    18 months ago we were talking about MPs expenses. I bugger off for 18 months and finally the mainstream media pick up on it eh?

thesite P&D - always ahead of the game...

NB No apologies from dragging up an dead thread, cos I'm a newbie. I was looking at the last few things I'd posted on and could see the humour in this...

*awaits Dude. Thread. Dead. comments*

Dude - thread is deader than bambi's Mum:thumb:
  • Options
    Dude - thread is deader than bambi's Mum:thumb:

Have to say that she was very tasty too. Washed her down with a nice Rioja, if memory serves...