Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Senior MP expenses revealed

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I say we cook John Prescott and feed him to the poor.
    The poor have already suffered enough. :p
  • Options
    what damn right have they got to help with a mortage, what happens to the house when they leave office ? they either keep it for their personal use or sell it on meaning they get the house or its value for free. like I said in the other thread they should live in state supplied accomodation if they don't like it tuff or they can pay for their own most people exspenses paid or not have to take whats given them not pick and choose and then claim exspenses
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    John Prescott spent £4,000 on food in one year and sent the bill to the taxpayer, I notice. Well, that certainly gives a new meaning to the phrase "living off the fat of the land", doesn't it?

considering that food is food if he's at home he eats if he's in london he eats why does food need paying for ? ok send him back home and give him no food it seems at home he don't eat as in london he see's it as an extra thing :yuck:
  • Options
    Could someone translate that into English please?

MPs are allowed expenses for food and such like because a) they are away from home (debates in the Chamber quite often do not finish until 2am, no time to pop home for a toastie), b) their home is not in London and c) part of their role is to forge links with other agencies and this often involves business entertaining.

£4000 a year is not a lot of money; if I were to work away from my main home for every business week for six months my charity's expenses would leave me with £3500 expenses and I get a measly £25 a night expenses. My last job could have given me nearly £5000 expenses as they had a less restrictive expenses policy.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Could someone translate that into English please?

I think that simons means that you have to eat everyday anyway, so the expenses should only be the for the amount over and above what you would already spend.

I could use the same argument about people in hospital and why we should charge them for the cost of heating/food etc which they are saving by not being at home ;)
  • Options
    He still hasn't answered whether that should just be for MPs, or whether everyone who's paid by the public purse (like you and I, for instance) should be subject to the same restrictions.

I don't expect he will.
  • Options
    if the guy wants to go to a restaurant thats his problem, why do MP's need their food paying for kermit ? don't we all eat ? if these are restaurant bills I'd sure like to see where they went and what they ordered
  • Options
    if the guy wants to go to a restaurant thats his problem, why do MP's need their food paying for kermit ? don't we all eat ? if these are restaurant bills I'd sure like to see where they went and what they ordered
    You have a very strange view ...maybe a very limited view ...of the world. Most people working away from home get paid expenses.
    Is this limited view of life and very limited ability to express yourself ...the reason your still packing boxes i wonder.
  • Options
    if the guy wants to go to a restaurant thats his problem, why do MP's need their food paying for kermit ? don't we all eat ?

You, as a taxpayer, pay for my restaurant bills when I'm on business.

Does that make you angry too?
  • Options
    ok send him back home

But that would mean travelling and possibly losing time when they could be doing other MP related stuff. Would you like to do that? I know I wouldn't.
    what damn right have they got to help with a mortage,

This has already been explained, has it not?:confused: The way I see it is that, they need 2 houses so they wouldn't need to keep travelling between their house and the place where they may sometimes work. It makes more sense to give them a mortgage for a house than paying for a hotel. (which would probably work out more expensive over 20 years or so)
  • Options

I am a public official. When I am away on business you pay for my accomodation, food and travel. The only think which I cannot claim is alcohol.

You also pay for my mobile phone bill, plus I get about £400 per month in travel expenses every single month.

Why should MPs be any different?
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I wonder how MP's expenses compare to corporate leader expenses. I personaly don't see that the goverment is any different to any of these big companies other than that they are at the top of the pecking order and the companies have to heed what they say when it comes to corporate legislation etc. That kind of means that they are at the top of all the companies in the country and if the people below them in these companies get such huge bonuses why shouldn't members of the ruling government?
    It's UK corp.
    I think you'll find that it's the other way round J.
    Who has more power ...a lowly mp in Sheffield or ...a guy who employs a 100,000 people in Sheffield?
  • Options
    The beauty of the system is that if you are in employment as a public servant you can debate expenses during work time and we are paying you to do it. :p
  • Options
    I'd like to point out nobody is considering that we paid for the legal battle to try and protet this info. now as far as I remember loser pays all costs, did the individual MPs pay the court costs of the legal battle THEY fought? I DON'T THINK SO.
  • Options
    Simon, are you going to answer the question posed to you by MoK and me or not?

Been waiting a while now. It's not a hard question to answer.
  • Options
    You have a very strange view ...maybe a very limited view ...of the world. Most people working away from home get paid expenses.
    Is this limited view of life and very limited ability to express yourself ...the reason your still packing boxes i wonder.

well I've moved up a bit mate theere's no point in being a snob and judging my intelligence by my job sorry if I take whats going. now I'm suddenly precious to a certain agency because "I'm not scared of computers" :confused: lets hope people don't stop finding faulty stuff to send back or my job as a restocker will end pretty fast like the lack of boxes.....meanwhile the saga of trying to get my current qualifications converted goes on after 3 goes the college are at a bigger loss than me having told me they could infact look at my italian diploma and issue an english equivalent they now seem to think another office ahould be doing it I wonder who runs the college and ex paker maybe ?....
  • Options
    lets hope people don't stop finding faulty stuff to send back or my job as a restocker will end pretty fast ?....

See ...there is a point people buying all that Chinese crap ...it provides you with a job!:thumb:
  • Options
    See ...there is a point people buying all that Chinese crap ...it provides you with a job!:thumb:

it don't neccesarily have to be from china actually that stuff isn't even really worth sending back, I don't know where air conditioners are made (I beleive thats what I'm dealing with) but I do know hotpoint appliances are made in europe and they have returns and damaged goods, mostly in transport its not always a case of bad manufacturing especially when you pile as much as possible in a lorry and don't even use pallets because space costs so much to transport
  • Options
    Still waiting Simon.

*holds breath*
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Still waiting Simon.

*holds breath*

what was the question, you seem all steemed up :)
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »

thanks lea, so what exactly do the two gentlemen in question do ? you say food allowance I take it you are travelling away from home where you do not have a second home so you can't go cook yourself something. as previously mentioned it would be a lot cheaper if MPs were given state provided and serviced accomodation, we all know damn well they would thinking twice about what the moeny is spent on if it were their own.

pft 4000 £ taxi bills cause her ladyship could not be bothered to drive to the shops herself oh and whats that ? the house keeper went with her ? I wonder who pays the house keeper... let me guess.
  • Options
    as previously mentioned it would be a lot cheaper if MPs were given state provided and serviced accomodation.

You mean hotels or something else?:confused: Either way, tax payers would still pay for it.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    You mean hotels or something else?:confused: Either way, tax payers would still pay for it.

no gov run homes all in the same building (bit like a hotel) if they are cooked for all at once no need for pricy "chic" restarant bills, in room service would be cheap to make available
  • Options
    Either way the food would be paid for by the taxpayers - which is the actual point.
  • Options
    but they would not have the coice of going to exspensive restaurants, considering they have a home in london its a nerve that they should claim for food at all
  • Options
    :confused:

You can't eat a house...
  • Options
    Where will the money come from for that?
  • Options
    If you live at house A for 2 days and house B for 5 days you still need to buy food for 7 days. I don't see why you should buy food for 2 days and then put the other 5 down as a business expense.

I think if you're doing something in your role then fair enough (i.e. go for lunch with a diplomat / minister / constituent etc.) but if it's just groceries for the stir fry you're having that night... it just doesn't add up in my mind.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If you live at house A for 2 days and house B for 5 days you still need to buy food for 7 days. I don't see why you should buy food for 2 days and then put the other 5 down as a business expense.

I think if you're doing something in your role then fair enough (i.e. go for lunch with a diplomat / minister / constituent etc.) but if it's just groceries for the stir fry you're having that night... it just doesn't add up in my mind.

Except many MPs will have families living at their constituency home. It doesn't cost much more to cook for 4 people rather than 3, but it costs more to cook for 3 in 1 place and then someone eating on their own.