Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Commons launches ANOTHER bid to hide expenses claims

According to the Daily Stargalaxy (founded just a few minutes ago)
The cockroaches, parasites, vermin and snakes which occupy the House of Commons have launched yet another bid to block publication of detailed expenses of 14 MPs and former MPs. The MPs include Gordon Brown and David Cameron. The Commons authorities had been expected to release details of second home expenses today, following a Freedom of Information tribunal ruling. However, they have launched an appeal against this ruling - which will be funded by the taxpayer - on the grounds that they wish to continue the MPs tradition of lying shamelessly on expenses claims.

One MP told the SG; "Well, this is only the public's money, isn't it? Fuck them - we're not accountable to that lot. They vote me in once every four or five years, and I get to do as I please in the meantime. I don't want them finding out just how much I've effectively embezzled from taxpayer funds over the years, do I?"

If you fancy reading the Beeb's report on this, see it here, but I can't be arsed with such pathetically complacent reporting. Just what have these bastards got against us knowing the truth about how much they're cheating us out of? They forever try to persuade us of the merits of ID cards by saying "if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear". Following that theory, someone in authority has certainly got a lot to conceal!

But the worst bit of Aunty's report was definitely this. Some creep that they refer to as "a Commons spokeswoman" (what a dreadful job it must be having to defend those fuckers) is quoted as saying "The threats that MPs can face are unpredictable and subject to change.". What, such as hostile press coverage when they're found to be cheating taxpayers? (yes, I'm thinking of you, Derek Conway) I'd say that's the least they deserve.

Over to you, everyone...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Seriously, don't get me started.
  • Options
    Stargalaxy, you are worse than the tabloid press.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I don't see what's so bad about that. The tabloids pay pretty well, there's a fair amount of money to be made working for one.
  • Options
    Another SG classic. :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MrG wrote: »

He IS the Daily Mail personified. Well, maybe he's a bit less racist.
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me why buying a second home isn't subject to VAT? Isn't VAT supposed to be charged on luxury items? You don't get much more luxury than that.
  • Options
    Because housing sales are taxed as an asset. Don't worry, they aren't missing out on their £s.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    He IS the Daily Mail personified. Well, maybe he's a bit less racist.
    I'd rather sound like the Daily Mail than The Grauniad anytime. Nonetheless, don't you have any actual comment to make about the story? Or are you just wasting my time, as usual?
  • Options
    To be fair man, I think your presentation here may have defeated any hope of a real discussion of the story - which is a fucking disgrace
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    To be fair man, I think your presentation here may have defeated any hope of a real discussion of the story - which is a fucking disgrace
    It's a completely legitimate way to present the story. Why should MPs be alllowed to spend our money as they please without having to account for it? On the spurious grounds of "security" too, under the laughable impression that MPs are going to get stalked or subjected to terrorist attacks if their claims are made public. The only ones who'll be doing the "stalking" will be political journalists - and that's only if the MPs in question are revealed to be on the fiddle.

Besides, addresses for MPs are widely available - one look at the electoral roll and you can find most of them. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some of the addresses online either. And who'd be sad enough to want to stalk a Member of Parliament?
  • Options
    Mate, just pointing out the difference between your story and the way you've presented it - which rather brings your personality to the front rather than the story itself, hence the 'daily mail' comments rather than a discussion of the actual issues. Just trying to point out why no one else is responding other than around the way you've described.
  • Options
    Mate, just pointing out the difference between your story and the way you've presented it - which rather brings your personality to the front rather than the story itself, hence the 'daily mail' comments rather than a discussion of the actual issues. Just trying to point out why no one else is responding other than around the way you've described.

:yes:
  • Options
    Mate, just pointing out the difference between your story and the way you've presented it - which rather brings your personality to the front rather than the story itself, hence the 'daily mail' comments rather than a discussion of the actual issues.
    It does no such thing. I believe that the reasons for this appeal are disingenious, so attempted to state other possible reasons in my own way. It's called freedom of speech. If anyone disagrees, they should say so.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    It does no such thing. I believe that the reasons for this appeal are disingenious, so attempted to state other possible reasons in my own way. It's called freedom of speech. If anyone disagrees, they should say so.

:rolleyes:
  • Options

Presumably freedom of speech also covers the opinion that you presented the story like an ignorant tabloid writer with a chip on his shoulder?
  • Options
    Presumably freedom of speech also covers the opinion that you presented the story like an ignorant tabloid writer with a chip on his shoulder?

:D
  • Options
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I'd rather sound like the Daily Mail than The Grauniad anytime. Nonetheless, don't you have any actual comment to make about the story? Or are you just wasting my time, as usual?

I would, but I felt like laughing at your posting style, and wasting time.

It is a disgrace our politicans waste our money then don't have the balls to own up about it. But point me to one country in the world where it is different.

Politicians, a corrupt slime that infests our world. Also sadly, a necessary evil. Unless peoplehold them accountable (But the mass media has sucesfully dumbed hte public down to such a degree they don't care about politics) nothing will ever be done.
  • Options
    1) its time they get paid no more than any of us. guess why they all want to be MP's
    2) they should pay their own exspenses, I earn far less than them (when I have work) I have to pay my own exspenses, exscuse me MP's and PM it costs me 30 £ a week to go to work + car maintainence I WANT MY EXSPENSES PAID you get your paid, lets see 50 £ a week should do thats 20p a mile petrol+tax+oil+repairs I beleive they get 40p a mile must have big unecological cars for 40p a mile oh and while we're at it they can refund me my work luches too !
    3) All exspenses should be declared and they can use the bloody argos catalogue not the fucking john lewis catalogue.
    4) they don't need more than 1 person in their employ, my local MP one of the highest paid in the country has 3 members of staff pft time he did some work
    5) they should spend 1 hour per day at least reading forums such as these its time they know how we feel and have no exscuse for acting on what they read/hear and if they don't do what is good for us but still only for them they can fuck off
    6)
  • Options
    1. They don't get paid more than "us". A typical MP earns about £60,000. A lot compared to someone on minimum wage, yes, but in context its quite low. They could earn the same as a deputy head in a large city comprehensive, they could earn about £25,000 more as a headteacher in a similar school, they earn half what a lowly investment banker would earn and about half of what a GP earns. They earn about the same as a CPS lawyer or a corporate barrister who's just passed their pupillage. They barely earn double what I earn and I'm a fairly lowly legal adviser with a charity. And I work a 37 hour week, not a 60 hour week.

2. Why should they pay their own expenses? Because its the public's money? The public pays my wages, partly through tax and partly through donations to my employer. I earn double what someone on minimum wage would earn. Should I pay my expenses too, and be left out of pocket? Or are MPs somehow different?

When I'm on business away from the office I have my hotel, food and travel paid for. Oh, and the statutory business mileage rate is 40p/mile, btw- for everyone.

3. I don't disagree with that, mind. I have to provide receipts to my employer.

4. I can only guess by this comment that you have zero understanding of what an MP does, or what the size of his workload and postbag is. Three members of staff to run an entire constituency is not that excessive. A GP would probably have three secretarial staff to run a surgery, as would most other professionals.

5. A politician who doesn't keep abreast of public opinion will lose their seat quite quickly.

I don't hold much stall with politicians but when you consider the work they do, and the salaries that their academic peers receive, I really wouldn't say they were overpaid.

Of course, if we really want to get angry, why don't we look at other organisations that spend huge sums of public money on their senior staff? I don't know, why don't we get angry about...say...the BBC. Why don't we get to see the expenses claims for the senior journalists? For Graham Norton?
  • Options
    nobody pays me my petrol costs to get to work and I'm on 6 £/h

the man that overpaid is son should have been prosecuted hec he commited fraud it was fraud what else do we call that but he got off scott free, what would happen if I commited fraud, what about the guy (with all his staff at that) "forgot" to declare donations to his campain ? uh he appologised, shit if I forget a half penny on my tax declarations I'd like to see what happens I'm sure they won't pat me on the back and say "of course not to worry we understand you work a 50 hour week - spend 1.5-2 hours getting to and from work, you live alone and hardly get time to cook and clean up at home" NO I would be prosecuted

I thought Italy is not democratic

Engalnd takes the bloody cake, members of the goverment daily commit CRIMES and get off scott free, the only common people that get off almost scott free are underage murderers, everybody else is dealt with acccording to the law
  • Options
    MPs don't get paid petrol costs to get to their constituency base. They do get paid to go to London, but so what? I get paid my travel costs when I go to London on business.

Falsely claiming expenses is fraud. But claiming legally allowable expenses is not.

You really have some serious bitterness issues that you need to resolve. Some people earn more than you. Some people earn less than you. But an MP's job is more important than a lot of jobs- its more important than mine- and they should get paid accordingly.

Compare the £189,000 Gordon Brown earns for running the country to the £14m the CEO of Barclays Capital earned this year and tell me he's overpaid. An experienced GP at a top practice earns more than him, ffs.
  • Options
    yes perhaps I'm fed up of listening to the radio and hearing all the crap they come out with and all the things they pull but don't get prosecuted for. for example they are fighting with our money the fact that we are asking to know what they spend our money on. now if I was fighting a court case and lost I would pay mine and the winners exspenses, if they loose will they ? cmon you could make a bet on that and make yourself a million air but of course no one would back you up we all know who will pay in the end us of course.

if its about us we have to provide all details if we step slightly out of line we are punished but if they commit a crime they get away with it. oooh ahh the guy that commited fraud was banned for 10 days HOW TERRIBLE I bet he got paid those ten days too and had a nice holiday

yes I'm bitter about it aren't you or is that fine that we are laughed at ? I don't mind people getting, paid for their jobs but hec they don't seem to do much, the few times I hear a parliment debate its a stupid sqable not about setting out effective guidelines to help the country but to show one another up then in the end some barely thought out policy is passed and we have to suffer that ill thought out policy.

aren't you angry that if they claim exspenses for household goods they get to choose from the priciest list in the country but if your unemployed and need help you get an allowance according to the lowest rate list, who the hell do they think they are. they are there to serve US - the country. but they live and squander off us, they don't go up to parliment to serve their country but to make their fortunes but we are the ones that should be swearing alligence to the crown wich is indirectly swearing it to them I mean its a mokery we are having the piss taken out of us.

one of the reasons for my bitterness is: I was away from england for 14 years 12 of which my house was rented and wrecked, so for 2 years it stood empty but we still had to pay FULL council tax (yea right I was in italy but was paying for refuse, library, roads, street lighting etc that I wasn't using) my dad went to our local MP (whos motto is "listening to the people of wellingborough and rushden") and explained out plight, the bastard said don't like paying sell your house ! thanks very much Mr peter bone. now that I am back and I live in the house I get a 25 % discount does this make sense to you ?

now I hear on the radio that potentially a council has the right to take control of a house that has been empty for 6 months and rerent it - WHAT ? my house was empty because I was been ripped off with council tax I had no money to repair it and because of this I could have lost my house for up to 7 years does all this sound logical ? NO ? well there you are welcome to royal britagna bla bla bla go swear alligence to that !
  • Options
    Would you like some fish with that chip?
  • Options
    Would you like some fish with that chip?

thats just a simple example of how mps don't really care. oh of course he got local people treatment on the NHS they were intitled to but weren't getting but really that was just a case of making some noise and getting his name on peoples lips it was good for his name. all the same guy has to comment on postoffices closing is he can't understand the goverments logic, ha can't he ? I can, I certainly would not run a business that was loosing millions.

he could of said to my dad "you have a good point there and I'll look into it" but then we are just one voter so why should he bother. and this is one of the most exspensive mps in the country with 3 members of staff, there are other county mps that have 0-1 member of staff and manage.

oh and can anyone explain why he needs to have his material printed 200 miles away ? whats wrong with local printers ? give us the work save the transportation pollution I mean if you look around you can you really say that mps give a rats ass about us ?

you try and tell me something positive an mp has done and I don't mean shouting but actually doing

oh and yes you can toss some fish in with that samon if you please I couldn't afford it when it was 8 £/kg now its 11 £/kg (but I got some on the 31st of december for 1.5 £/kg)
  • Options
    *yawn*

Get a grip man. FYI an empty and unfurnished house is not liable for council tax.
  • Options
    I am so disillusioned and evn worried by the state of politics and all opinion surrounding it ...i'm finding it ever harder to make any kind of judgement call ...any kind of sensible judgement at all.
    I come from an era of political beliefs ...ideas ...ideals ...dreams and hopes.
    I find myself living in the era of the corporation.
    In the era of ideas and such ...they were all just asdumb and corrupt and uncaring. They just didn't do it so brazenly.
    Most in here still believe in democracy ...still believe they aint owned.
  • Options
    Democracy has always been a sham because democracy is unworkable. I have one vote in 56 million votes; what I say is largely meaningless. It only becomes meaningful if I can get 56 million people on side- the only way to do that is through cold hard cash. Corruption sometimes comes into it too but generally people will accept things happening because they've been conditioned into thinking its a good idea.

I don't have the same pessimism as you. I still think most people set out to help most people most of the time. The real problems we have now is the lack of money- the Government is clearly bankrupt. And because of that you get the penny-pinching and the restrictions on what help people can get. That even extends to MPs, who really don't earn that much for the work they do.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    ts

I don't have the same pessimism as you. I still think most people set out to help most people most of the time. The real problems we have now is the lack of money-

I still think most people set out to help most people most of the time.

I believe that too. But i also believe that it is such a pig trough that it is impossible for the good guy to get to the top ...and thateems to be the same problem throughout history ...how the fuck can a good giuy ...and all his merry followers ...ever get to the top?
    I make no apologies for making it seem so simplistic.
    To get the right things done ijn this world ...is not the way it's wired.
  • Options
    It's always been like that and always will be. Plato had it right when he explained that those who get to the top are unsuited to it and those who are suited to it can't get there. You can't climb to the top if you're always stopping to help everyone else up first.

But is it all about getting to the top? I want to do well for myself but I can think of nothing worse than being an MP. The ridiculous hours, the (comparatively) modest pay packet, the pressure and the fact that every time you look at the internet there is someone somewhere calling you a cunt. I'd hate that. It takes a certain type of person to want that life.

I'd much rather spend my time helping other people, which is why I do what I do and act the way I do. I'll never get famous or rich but I have enough and I get to go home at night knowing that I've worked hard and made a difference to someone's life.