Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to do about China?

Seeing how grim the situation is in Tibet at the moment on top of China's long history of abuses, oppresion and murder, can/will anyone do anything about it?

Boycotting the Olympics would be a great start. Maximum embarassement for the Chinese government by non violent means, and one that the population would be fully aware of regardless of how much control the government has on the media.

Of course, it is unlikely any country would have the gulls to pull out. Unlike with the Soviet Union, there is money to be made (or lost) with China...

Hats down to Prince Charles and all others who will not be attending the Olympics as a protest.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Operation Shock and Awe Part 2.
  • Options
    Ask Mr bush ...he's declared it to be his job to sort these kind of people out. They've even got Muslims in the north ...surely that would be enough to interest him.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Operation Shock and Awe Part 2.
    I suspect any such operation would have quite a different outcome from the walkout that was the original Shock and Awe. The Chinese ain't the Iraqis. Before the US could say 'WTF' the Chinese could take out any US spy satellite flying over its territory. And given the capabilities of China's anti-shipping missiles I wouldn't want to be on any aircraft carriers within range of China either...

In any case military action is not the answer- it almost never is.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    In any caase America only attack third world armies ...often not even armies.
  • Options
    The protesters aren't exactly innocents in this, so peaceful that they've already killed a number of people and there's been rioting and looting.

Various other countries aren't exactly one to say anything about invading other countries and doing as they please, Afghanistan, Palestine, maoris and american indians, etc. Plus I'm sure the majority of the people in Tibet didn't object to China abolishing the old feudal system they had in Tibet, such as actually letting peasants having right to own property.
  • Options
    The protesters aren't exactly innocents in this, so peaceful that they've already killed a number of people and there's been rioting and looting.

Various other countries aren't exactly one to say anything about invading other countries and doing as they please, Afghanistan, Palestine, maoris and american indians, etc. Plus I'm sure the majority of the people in Tibet didn't object to China abolishing the old feudal system they had in Tibet, such as actually letting peasants having right to own property.
    And you can bet there are Chinese kids on the net right now asking what to do about America. Yes.
  • Options
    Have we lost the moral high ground ...did we only pretend we ever had it ...are people now so informed that none of it makes sense anymore?
  • Options
    I suspect any such operation would have quite a different outcome from the walkout that was the original Shock and Awe. The Chinese ain't the Iraqis. Before the US could say 'WTF' the Chinese could take out any US spy satellite flying over its territory. And given the capabilities of China's anti-shipping missiles I wouldn't want to be on any aircraft carriers within range of China either...

Taking the piss mate. China would annihaliate America if it dared step foot in their country.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Taking the piss mate. China would annihaliate America if it dared step foot in their country.

By burning all those dollars!
  • Options
    By burning all those dollars!

Indeed, China is one of a few if not the only country in the world that isn't in debt.
  • Options
    Sorry exagerated a bit there but America is 747 billion in debt (bottom) whereas China is 363 billion (top) in surplus.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2187rank.html
  • Options
    Of course, it is unlikely any country would have the gulls to pull out. Unlike with the Soviet Union, there is money to be made (or lost) with China...

Oh I don't know - we used to make a fortune selling them wheat to feed their people.
  • Options
    Oh I don't know - we used to make a fortune selling them wheat to feed their people.
    Haven't got enough to feed your own now mate ... we need the land to feed our machines ...
  • Options
    Well really there isnt all that much you can do. China is pretty powerful, no one wants to be the first to instigate any form of sanction cause they know it will really cheese them off. Not to mention massive mutual business, chinese toy/clothes import. Western companies employing chinese people on the cheap.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    Well really there isnt all that much you can do. China is pretty powerful, no one wants to be the first to instigate any form of sanction cause they know it will really cheese them off. Not to mention massive mutual business, chinese toy/clothes import. Western companies employing chinese people on the cheap.
    China finding it difficult to get the massive ammount of oil it needs ...
  • Options
    china and russia ganging up to kick some ass
  • Options
    Nah ...that'll be eurussia.
  • Options

Two countries who hate each other...
  • Options
    Also remember last time China was enstranged from the West Mao killed 15-70m people
  • Options
    Also remember last time China was enstranged from the West Mao killed 15-70m people

Different interests at that stage.
  • Options
    Glaze it.
  • Options
    we have all the power over china we want, money ? did someone mention money ? the olympics=money ? what about all that CRAP we import from china and all the european prime ministers that go to china to strike deals with them. we don't need the olympics to try and control them all we need to do is stop importing, give our own economies back the production and tell the chinese export to bugga off. we want to boycot a money making thing like the olympics what about all that trading I mean its no wonder they are becoming a super power we will be the third world in 50 years and they will be rich and then we'll wonder why ? we have all the power over china we want but oh yes money.... that counts for a lot
  • Options
    we have all the power over china we want, money ? did someone mention money ? the olympics=money ? what about all that CRAP we import from china and all the european prime ministers that go to china to strike deals with them. we don't need the olympics to try and control them all we need to do is stop importing, give our own economies back the production and tell the chinese export to bugga off. we want to boycot a money making thing like the olympics what about all that trading I mean its no wonder they are becoming a super power we will be the third world in 50 years and they will be rich and then we'll wonder why ? we have all the power over china we want but oh yes money.... that counts for a lot

China's economy is growing on the back of cheap labour, Europe doesn't have such a huge working population like China or a working population that is willing to do all the work for fuck all money. That's why China's economy is growing at the rate it is. Unfortunately it's producing too much, there are warehouses full of Chinese goods all over Europe with Chinese goods that can't be released into the market. China can only supply Europe with a quota of goods so European companies can have a share of the market too, I have no problem with China's economy growing.
  • Options
    Exactly, there are A LOT of poor people in china and as more factories are made they will work in them. With such a large country and population china will probably become the biggest industrial country in the world and whats to say all those factories cant start making planes or bombs or guns.
  • Options
    yerascrote like you said the goverments do pose limits on the imports (I did work briefly in italy in thrying to import stuff) and if we want to make them feel our anger over tibet then we can do it economically,

we did it to germany and italy BEFORE the second world war but of course thats too old fashioned now.

even our damn food starts to come from china, I realy wish I could buy a single electronic product NOT made in china, go on everyoe go out and find a 1 electronic item or toy that is not made in china - I bet you won't, ah but the olympics are the only way to make them feel it, I don't trhink so
  • Options
    and whats to say all those factories cant start making planes or bombs or guns.

So it's ok for us to make bombs and guns but not China?

China and the United States spend roughly the same as a percentage of their GDP on military (4.3% vs 4.06% respectably).
  • Options
    if we want to make them feel our anger over tibet then we can do it economically,

we did it to germany and italy BEFORE the second world war but of course thats too old fashioned now.

even our damn food starts to come from china, I realy wish I could buy a single electronic product NOT made in china, go on everyoe go out and find a 1 electronic item or toy that is not made in china - I bet you won't, ah but the olympics are the only way to make them feel it, I don't trhink so
    This is not really a viable solution though is it. Its all very well and good suggesting other countries stop international trade with China but when the prices of goods rocket i would imagine a lot of peoples stance on ethics would go out the window
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    This is not really a viable solution though is it. Its all very well and good suggesting other countries stop international trade with China but when the prices of goods rocket i would imagine a lot of peoples stance on ethics would go out the window

well I make my stance I do not poses a CD player its part my choice part direct consequence of the crap that comes out of china i cannot buy a CD player not made in china and I can't buy a CD player that will last more than 3-6 months, the problem is we got rid of our industry and don't seem to mind buying over and over again the same junk from china, atthe end of the day its costs more to keep replacing that stuff I have electronic equipment that is decades old and still works one of the first transistor radios made in the 50's but anything I buy today I use for a bit and then chuck it cause it breaks down, I certainly won't cry over lack of imports from china
  • Options
    well I make my stance I do not poses a CD player its part my choice part direct consequence of the crap that comes out of china i cannot buy a CD player not made in china and I can't buy a CD player that will last more than 3-6 months, the problem is we got rid of our industry and don't seem to mind buying over and over again the same junk from china, atthe end of the day its costs more to keep replacing that stuff I have electronic equipment that is decades old and still works one of the first transistor radios made in the 50's but anything I buy today I use for a bit and then chuck it cause it breaks down, I certainly won't cry over lack of imports from china
    The whole of YOUR future depends on the landfill site. The foundations of all modern civilisations is now the lanfil ...the dump. If we aren't sitting on shit ...nobodys flogging anything.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    J wrote: »
    We always dreaded coming accross a Chinese Akula submarine when we were out on patrol. Bit different to meeting the Russians!

Didn't they buy them off the Ruskies? They are still buying loads of subs of them today... recently a couple of Patrol subs (smasll ones, dunno what class) were spied being sent over.

They must had loads now. The Akula looks awesome though... fearsome piece of kit.

At least AFAIK China has no Typhoons.