Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Budget

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Budget.

Good for booze/cig smugglers - not sure about the rest of us. Drinking out will get more expensive - so more people will stock up in ASDA or go to Calais and drink more at home. The big increase in duty on alcohol really highlights how short-sighted Labour is.

Life is becoming more and more expensive for a lot of ordinary hard-working people and Labour is doing nothing to help.

The way things are going flying, owning a car and being able to enjoy a few drinks out will become the preserve of the rich. (Investment bankers getting record bonuses can continue to fly first class to the Caribbean, drive a Range Rover around London and enjoy £500 bottles of champagne in a Mayfair club every Friday).

Labour really has to go.

Comments

• Options
    Might have to start buying cheap Palace ciggies now, even though they're rank.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Might have to start buying cheap Palace ciggies now, even though they're rank.

Most people I know smoke rollies. I've pretty much quit, only smoke occasionally every now and then so it doesn't really affect me. But, I really can't see the logic in continually upping duty on cigs - I'm guessing it's esp true in the South of England but so, so many people smoke cigs from Europe...
  • Options
    14p on a bottle of wine!!!
  • Options
    Most people I know smoke rollies. I've pretty much quit, only smoke occasionally every now and then so it doesn't really affect me. But, I really can't see the logic in continually upping duty on cigs - I'm guessing it's esp true in the South of England but so, so many people smoke cigs from Europe...

When I used to smoke, I preferred to smoke rollies....mainly because of the cost factor but I also started just preferring the taste.

In Thailand I took up smoking again because they were just so cheap and tempting when I was drunk...I didn't bother with rollies, just bought straights cos they were so cheap.... In Laos I found a brand of fags that cost 5,000 lao kip for a pack of 20....that is about 1p! So I smoked them all the time, didn't taste bad either!

Given up again now I'm home though. :D
  • Options
    The Budget.

Labour really has to go.

With the current world economic climate this budget was never going to bring anything particularly surprising, but the govt' has to make money from somewhere. I doubt very much you'd find any other party does anything better. Except maybe in the way of false promises made to get into power.
  • Options
    For possibly the first time in many years, I've no real complaints about this budget. The price of alcohol is up - and I couldn't care less. Gordon Brown froze duties on most alcoholic drinks for several years, so an increase like this was inevitable somewhere down the line. Owning a gas-guzzling car is going to be more expensive - and so it should be. The 2p increase in fuel duty has been delayed for six months - that's alright by me. It all sounds fine to me.

I can't believe I've just written something in support of a New Labour budget...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I can't believe I've just written something in support of a New Labour budget...

Especially as it was a bit shit.

Why no abolition of Road Tax and levy on fuel instead
    Why no closing of tax loopholes for the rich, yet the abolition of 10p rate stays... for example.

When things are tight and you cannot offer much in the way of tax dodges to confuse the poor then at least do something radical FFS
  • Options
    When things are tight and you cannot offer much in the way of tax dodges to confuse the poor then at least do something radical FFS
    But he couldn't do that, could he? Macavity's last set of reforms to the tax system don't come in force until next month, so the civil service are busy enough as it is, never mind adding yet more reforms.
  • Options
    Things is SG, many of the civil servants are tied up collecting taxes which would be easier to collect in other ways... it's basically waste.
  • Options
    Things is SG, many of the civil servants are tied up collecting taxes which would be easier to collect in other ways... it's basically waste.
    Again, blame Macavity. He is the one who introduced a benefits system that is so complicated, even civil servants have complained they don't understand it! If those administering the system don't understand it, what chance have those who need to claim got?

Someone at the Treasury would do well to take a look at the back of the new £20 notes. It features Adam Smith, a brilliant economist. His two main principles were that tax should be easy to collect, and easy to understand for those expected to pay. If our treasury followed these principles, life would become a lot easier for all of us.
  • Options
    Again, blame Macavity.

Actually no, I won't. I'll blame every single CotE for decades because they are the ones which have perpetuated the system for so long.

Simplified tax system is not in their interests because it's transparaent and then it would become clear who we should really target. Trust me it isn't the poor "dole cheats".
  • Options
    Simplified tax system is not in their interests because it's transparaent and then it would become clear who we should really target. Trust me it isn't the poor "dole cheats".
    I've always believed that the levels of benefit fraud are exaggerated by the government. For example, I don't seriously believe that most of those on incapacity benefit could easily get off their arses and work tomorrow. But of course, no one ever sees adverts on the telly warning multi-millionaires in the City to pay their taxes. However, rich bastards like that can always call on the CBI, can't they?
  • Options
    Most of the budget didn't surprise me. 11p on the tabs, 55p on spirits, that will stop the binge drinkers :rolleyes:

I was surprised with the announcement the government would fine supermarkets who didn't charge customers for plastic bags though. Didn't think the government had the balls to deify the powerful supermarket lobby.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I was surprised with the announcement the government would fine supermarkets who didn't charge customers for plastic bags though. Didn't think the government had the balls to deify the powerful supermarket lobby.
    The Government has a choice - defy the supermarkets or defy the Daily Mail, which is currently running its "Banish The Bags" campaign. They probably see it as choosing the lesser of two evils, though I can think of some board members who'd disagree over which is the bigger evil! :p
  • Options
    Even that is bollocks though. The bags aren't the real problem but the amount of packaging is.
  • Options
    The bags things was a token green gesture. Won't achieve anything. Nice to see the Scotch Whisky manufacturers on the news complaining because they've been given their first tax increase in 10 years though. I agree with the first year tax idea for vehicles though. Unless you address the cars that new car buyers are choosing, then it's not fair to charge extra road tax to people who have to buy second hand and are stuck with what the last generation of new car buyers bought.

Oh, and let's all not forget that the increase in income tax for poor people from the last budget comes in this April. :thumb: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Second hand car buyers should be rejoicing. You can buy a 57 plate Saab for £10,500, down from £30,000 when it was new.
    The green taxes are meaning secondhand cars with large engines are plummeting in value.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The way things are going flying, owning a car and being able to enjoy a few drinks out will become the preserve of the rich. (Investment bankers getting record bonuses can continue to fly first class to the Caribbean, drive a Range Rover around London and enjoy £500 bottles of champagne in a Mayfair club every Friday).

Labour really has to go.

Who do you think will make a change, Dis? Do you seriously propose I vote for Cameron, or the bloody Liberals? This is the stagnation Democracy provides us with... and why I oppose it. Neither of the two options would make the slightest bit of difference. They wouldn't change a thing. And you know it. I know it too.

Also, yeah. It'll be like 1950 again. But without war. WE WON'T AFFORD ANYTHING! YES!

All we need now, is Revlution. The effects of this budget might just provide that spark...:chin: Excuse me. I must don my Uniform and start a march.
  • Options
    Given the experience of my gran I can only assume they have made the pension top ups so complicated on purpose to stop people getting them. My dads an accountant and he struggles to get her all she is entitled to, how 80 year olds manage it is beyond me.

As for the budget - alcohol has been getting gradually cheaper for years, this is a good move which wont really effect anyone in any harsh way - except if you are drinking way too much.

But as Man of Kent rightly points out, this is a nothing to the move which will see poor people pay more taxation because of the removal of the 10% rate.
  • Options
    I've always believed that the levels of benefit fraud are exaggerated by the government. For example, I don't seriously believe that most of those on incapacity benefit could easily get off their arses and work tomorrow.

A lot of them could. Everyone I know who gets it could be working, if they wanted to. Doesn't help that they publish the criteria for receiving incapacity benefit on the internet either.
  • Options
    Just to add a smidge of something positive, I was overjoyed to hear of the stamp duty reforms for shared ownership properties. It's not perfect, but is a step in the right direction and should save me and my boyfriend about a grand when we come to buy our new flat :D
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    A lot of them could. Everyone I know who gets it could be working, if they wanted to. Doesn't help that they publish the criteria for receiving incapacity benefit on the internet either.
    If the DWP or any of its departments didn't publish it, the criteria would simply end up being published on other websites instead, or reported in the media. You couldn't stop such information from getting out no matter how much you wanted to.
  • Options
    Car ownership is actually becoming cheaper for many... it all depends on what car you want.

Apparently from 2009 they'll be bringing up the road tax for 'middle of the road' cars as well, though not as much as the top band.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Car ownership is actually becoming cheaper for many... it all depends on what car you want.
    How on earth did you come to that conclusion? Fuel is my biggest expense, and it's been up a lot recently. Some of that is because I've started a new job this week, but the cost is still higher than it was a couple of months. Also, car insurance premiums are on the up, and this is coming from a person who owns a car that's small and cheap to run.
  • Options
    How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

Because the rising cost of public transport is greater than the rising cost of cars
  • Options
    Because the rising cost of public transport is greater than the rising cost of cars
    Price of public transport goes up = price of driving car goes down.

Huh? :confused:
  • Options
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    But as Man of Kent rightly points out, this is a nothing to the move which will see poor people pay more taxation because of the removal of the 10% rate.

That is going to really hit low paid workers. They should have put the starting rate before you start paying tax up to compensate but they extended it by £210 from £5225 to £5435. With the amount the minimum wage has gone up over the last few years (which is one of the few Labour policies I like) even more people are going to be paying tax.

Its been widly said that if you earn less then £15K a year gross you are going to be worse off from the 5th April.
  • Options
    Price of public transport goes up = price of driving car goes down.

Huh? :confused:

No it equals a cheaper option.
  • Options
    No it equals a cheaper option.

But much as I hate to agree with SG that's not what Aladdin sais

which is different from that the cost of car travel is becomign cheaper relative to the cost of using public transport