Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Swear allegiance to the Queen...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Churchill on the use of gas

In the end squeamishness prevailed and instead of making there eyes water we blew them to pieces with high explosive.

That sounds really interesting.

I just popped in. Are we gassing the queen then? :confused:
  • Options
    Well I never said that, but that would obviously be the ideal for the government. But it makes the population intrinsically biased towards any act committed by their own country. This has been proven time and time again.

But you don't need patriotism to do any of those things, nor does it improve your ability to oppose atrocities or your own government. It can however, be used as another method of control (not suggesting for one second that this is the case for anyone who describes themselves as a patriot). And an abscence of patriotism can certainly help people to look at a political situation more objectively, so you don't get the, "Who are you going to believe, us or them?" rhetoric. And since it has no discernable benefits, putting any sort of taxpayers money into promoting it is money down the toilet.

If it stops you from seeing that your country is doing something wrong, then it's not real patriotism. Love is not blind. I think it improves your ability to oppose the atrocities of your own government for that reason. A true patriot can see through the 'us or them' shtick if it is vacuous.

I'm as opposed to a slavish kind of patriotism as you are. But a person at the other extreme is likely to be just as lacking in objectivity. I'm thinking of the British fellow travellers during the Soviet years. It took a lot of them an unduly long time to realise that, on the whole, the Western liberal democracies were the good guys.

I don't think a situation where the majority of the citizens of a country do not love the country they're in, is a healthy situation for that country to be in. The benefit of it is that it gives people a sense of duty and responsibility to their country: the desire to give something back: 'not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country' and all that. It improves social cohesion: it removes the feeling of 'them' and 'us' (we're all British), and it increases the sense of belonging and felicity. All good things in my book, and i'm sure there are other benefits I can't think of.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Churchill might have saved Britain and the world from a monster, but in some other respects he was still a very nasty and unpleasant individual, no doubt about that.

He might have but he didn't. The ordinary men and women of this country did that ...on the front down the mines in the fields and factories but history always portrays the men with the cigars the gin the roast pheasant ...as being the ones who built this nation ...saved this nation and on it goes. The ordinary people got a small metal gong if they were lucky.
  • Options
    what a load of crap and a waste of time.
  • Options
    Swear allegiance to the Queen? Absolutely. I would do that no problem.
    Swear allegiance to this country? No fucking way. Who'd want to swear an allegiance to this dump?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Swear allegiance to this country? No fucking way. Who'd want to swear an allegiance to this dump?

i DON'T THINK YOU'VE TRAVELLED MUCH .....i'm going to remove the bleedin caps lock key ...
  • Options
    Lets hope they dont' try and introduce this to Northern Ireland, could start a new war all over again!
  • Options

What country do you like?
  • Options

I fail to see the difference... The whole point of loyalty to the Queen is that she's the personification of the country - not that's she a nice old lady who keeps corgis...
  • Options
    I fail to see the difference... The whole point of loyalty to the Queen is that she's the personification of the country - not that's she a nice old lady who keeps corgis...
    No, she's the personification of the entire Commonwealth.
  • Options
    No, she's the personification of the entire Commonwealth.

I swore allegiance to her as the head of state of the UK.

Canadians will swear allegiance to her as the head of State of Canada, Australians as the head of State of Australia and other Commonwealth Countries such as India and South Africa won't swear allegiance to her at all.

Theoretically at least the Queen can declare war on herself if the UK and Australia went to war
  • Options
    What a stupid idea.

I'm not 'loyal' or 'devoted' to the Queen. I don't even know her. I'd rather be devoted to my friends and family and those that I care about.
  • Options
    What a stupid idea.

I'm not 'loyal' or 'devoted' to the Queen. I don't even know her. I'd rather be devoted to my friends and family and those that I care about.

The queen is supposed to represent something, but I'm not sure what that is...
    I think even people who are in favour of the monarchy would dislike this idea, we shouldn't have to prove anything to people we don't know, especially over something so trivial.
    I don't see how it would help with things like anti-social behaviour. If people aren't suddenly filled with patriotism and the desire to become perfect British citizens when they look a coin or stamp, being forced to swear allegiance to someone they haven't met and has done nothing for them is just going to make them apathetic at best, or resentful. If this was happening when I was at school I never would have turned up, it sounds more boring than double R.E.
  • Options
    The queen is supposed to represent something, but I'm not sure what that is...

She is supposed to be the living, breathing, walking, talking, hand-shaking embodiment of the nation. The UK in a single person. So you'd be pledging alleigance to the UK really...
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    She is supposed to be the living, breathing, walking, talking, hand-shaking embodiment of the nation. The UK in a single person. So you'd be pledging alleigance to the UK really...

But she's a frankfurter eating nazi. Doesn't make sense. :confused:
  • Options
    its pathetic and of course going to cost us money (not the queen) the idea is supposed to make people proud of england, thats a good one proud of this fucked mess we are getting ourselves into no I'm not proud of this country anymore
  • Options
    It's unbritish.
    We have been Americanised enough.
    The british have always had the willingness to fight for king and country ...but not the swearing of alleigances to individuals.
  • Options
    i'd also like to know what EIRE would think since when it got independence, prliament basically passed a law saying that it was part of britain yet independent (which is why you can go into ireland without a passport) from northern ireland, and irish citizen can vote in gneral elections in UK and UK citizens can vote in Eire elections, apart from presidential and referendum since we don't have them really
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    But she's a frankfurter eating nazi. Doesn't make sense. :confused:

:lol:

Nah, asll the Queen represents in ceremonial shit, the tranditionalism of the UK in not getting rid of pointless, outdated stuff. The fact we cling onto things as "it's been like that for ages" so let's not get rid of it.

Philip is always providing a laugh, though.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with it. I did it in the Cubs and Scouts and I did it in the Sea Cadets. I think it makes you think about things, makes you a part of something bigger than yourself. That can be a very good thing. Common objective, a sense of belonging etc. People seem concerned about themselves more and more these days - They don't seem to work for the good of the community as much as they could - I suppose though thats a result of globalisation?

yes the problem is we know very well what we are swearing alligenge to a bunch of money grabbing bastards that can't run the country proporley, ok we swear alligeance to the quenn but she has no real power (and if she has should bloody well use it ) so really we are swearing to those that act in her stead. Can you honestly say that you are proud of what this country has become. I went to Italy to live 15 years ago I never swore shit to no one but I was proud to be british just the same, now I have come back and my pride has melted. there needs to be something to be proud of no this flipping mess.

people murdering one another because they have nothing better to do and getting off with it scott free. taxes rising with ridicolous exscuses. the very people we swear alligence to ripping us off of our money and putting it in their pockets or badly spending it. We ever more HAVE to make laws to protect a so called minority that hardly exist and it doesn't matter that we all suffer the law in the name of a so called minority. Its just a shambles I cringe every time I hear the news and what new ideas those bright sparks in the goverment have gotten themselves why don't they just come back to earth and look at what this country rallly needs.

and of course tell america to PISS OFF because at this point swearing aligence to the uk is going to be as good as swearing it to Mr Bush. its just one big farce and we know it is so it will be meaningless anyhow. AND COST US OUR MONEY !