Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Swear allegiance to the Queen...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7287984.stm

...it gets to work on those hard-to-reach antisocial behaviour problems other social initiatives fail to reach :D

OK i am being a little facetious, but this is just daft.

Comments

• Options
    I was one of the few Scots who didn't have a problem being British.

Until I read that, mind.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well lol.

How daft. Oh god, what is he doing? Trying to make us an Imperial nation again, or more like America, except they do it to a flag.

Daft either way.
  • Options
    It was a suggestion in a paper (one of many).

It's nice how the media tends to pick up on only one aspect of these things.
  • Options
    Daft idea - what if you are a Republican - in which case your making a vow you have no intention of keeping.

I'm happy to have made my oath of loyalty, but then I volunteered to take it...
  • Options
    When I was in the Scouts i always said 'my country' or 'my fellow humans' or something like that when they said 'god and the queen'.
  • Options
    i think we should emulate the old american way of pledging allegiance

1892pledgeofallegiance2hy7.jpg
  • Options
    he was this tall, and lived over there
  • Options
    THE queen or any old queen ? :)
  • Options
    All this is to make us into good citizens, which is of course something we cant be. We are subjects and will continue to be that till we get rid of the queen.
  • Options
    Personally, and I know this view is unpopular, I like the Queen but this whole 'swearing of allegiance' is plain silly - another attempt by this government to 'Americanise' us. The US might do this sort of thing but the bedrock of their history is far different from ours.

I think more time and effort ought to be put into teaching youngsters the consequences of anti-social behaviour and crime, while they are at school.

For instance, just the other day, I saw a couple of boys kicking and smashing a bollard in the street. Don't they realise that it is THEIR parents too, that will have to fork out more council tax next year to get it replaced?

And if they were made more aware of the devastation a crime can inflict on a decent, innocent family, perhaps they will understand the need to temper their actions.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Personally, and I know this view is unpopular, I like the Queen but this whole 'swearing of allegiance' is plain silly - another attempt by this government to 'Americanise' us. The US might do this sort of thing but the bedrock of their history is far different from ours.

It's the default position of this Government to legislate when they see a problem. Patriotism can't be produced by legislation

(PS I don't think support for the Monarchy is unpopular - virtually all Polls would put you in the majority)
  • Options
    Personally, and I know this view is unpopular, I like the Queen .
    You know her!
  • Options
    Patriotism can't be produced by legislation

Being unpatriotic is a problem?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah, actually, we should all swear blind alleigence to one leader. It's always worked in the past.
    orange-NaziPartyDay_1934c.jpg
  • Options
    You know her!

Oh yes! We chat away on MSN like there's no tomorrow.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Being unpatriotic is a problem?
    Thats not what ws said ...the point is it is pointless and dumb.
  • Options
    It is the wrong approach to creating a sense of belonging because it will be a hollow oath. The people who proposed this apparently don't care whether the patriotism is genuine or not, ('just say the bloody oath you spotty little wanker') which is why they're going to bribe them to say it!

A better approach would be to teach kids the history of their country: you can't love something if you don't know it intimately; people might feel more proud of that great British statesman Winston Churchill, if they actually believed that he was a real bloke who really existed.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    people might feel more proud of that great British statesman Winston Churchill, if they actually believed that he was a real bloke who really existed.

THAT FAT BLOKE WHO WANTED TO GAS THE SAME KURDS THAT SADDAM DID?
  • Options
    Oh yes! We chat away on MSN like there's no tomorrow.

About her dogs, and how horrid the Yankee soldier who threw the puppy over the cliff was?
  • Options
    Thats not what ws said ...the point is it is pointless and dumb.

You misunderstand what I was asking. Fishermans Ghost said "It's the default position of this Government to legislate when they see a problem. Patriotism can't be produced by legislation", as if hinting being unpatriotic is a problem, just that this isn't the way to solve it. I was challenging the notion that not being patriotic is a terrible thing.
  • Options
    THAT FAT BLOKE WHO WANTED TO GAS THE SAME KURDS THAT SADDAM DID?

Hey, nobody's perfect. I'm sure you've felt like gassing a few people in your time, I know I have.
  • Options
    Hey, nobody's perfect. I'm sure you've felt like gassing a few people in your time, I know I have.
    Same old tories...:mad:
  • Options
    Same old tories...:mad:

"Thoughts are no subjects, intents but merely thoughts."
  • Options
    "Thoughts are no subjects, intents but merely thoughts."
    But you still think he's a great man ...he didn't do it cos he was stopped. Was sADDAM an even greater tory than the fat guy?
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    You misunderstand what I was asking. Fishermans Ghost said "It's the default position of this Government to legislate when they see a problem. Patriotism can't be produced by legislation", as if hinting being unpatriotic is a problem, just that this isn't the way to solve it. I was challenging the notion that not being patriotic is a terrible thing.

Well it's extremely important for the government. It makes people more likely to support any bullshit they try to push through for the mere reason that it would be "un-British" to oppose it. It doesn't even have to be real patriotism either. Religions have survived on claimed belief and excessive chanting of meaningless mantras that few people really believe for much longer. As Bertrand Russell said, "patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons." A very valuable thing for a government.
  • Options
    Churchill on the use of gas
    I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas. We have definitely adopted the position at the Peace Conference of arguing in favour of the retention of gas as a permanent method of warfare. It is sheer affectation to lacerate a man with the poisonous fragment of a bursting shell and to boggle at making his eyes water by means of lachrymatory gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes. The moral effect should be so good that the loss of life should be reduced to a minimum. It is not necessary to use only the most deadly gasses: gasses can be used which cause great inconvenience and would spread a lively terror and yet would leave no serious permanent effects on most of those affected

In the end squeamishness prevailed and instead of making there eyes water we blew them to pieces with high explosive.
  • Options
    Of course another option could have been not to attack civilians in the first place, regardless of the method chosen.

In any case, even today with our technology we could not guarantee many deaths and/or permanent damage from mass gassing like that. In them days... not a chance. Either Churchill was displaying appalling ignorance of the effects of poison gas or intentionally playing down its effects and likely consequences for those exposed to such campaign.

Churchill might have saved Britain and the world from a monster, but in some other respects he was still a very nasty and unpleasant individual, no doubt about that.
  • Options
    But you still think he's a great man ...he didn't do it cos he was stopped. Was sADDAM an even greater tory than the fat guy?

I don't think he was a great man because he was a Tory, nor do I think he was a great man because he apparently wanted to gas the Kurds. You seem to think because a person has faults (who doesn't?) they can't be admired for their good features or deeds. It's the same thing with some of the anti-patriotism crowd: because Britain has done bad things, it is therefore absurd to still love Britain - as if we never did anything good!
    Well it's extremely important for the government. It makes people more likely to support any bullshit they try to push through for the mere reason that it would be "un-British" to oppose it. It doesn't even have to be real patriotism either. Religions have survived on claimed belief and excessive chanting of meaningless mantras that few people really believe for much longer. As Bertrand Russell said, "patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons." A very valuable thing for a government.

You are wrong to say that patriotism means going along with anything the government says. What stays constant in a patriot, is the love of their country (like the love of a certain rubbish hapless England rugby team) even when it does abominable things. And it is precisely because they love their country that they will seek to stop their country from doing something abominable and criticise the government if they believe it's doing something abominable. I don't regard the slavish patriotism you describe as true patriotism.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Of course another option could have been not to attack civilians in the first place, regardless of the method chosen.

In any case, even today with our technology we could not guarantee many deaths and/or permanent damage from mass gassing like that. In them days... not a chance. Either Churchill was displaying appalling ignorance of the effects of poison gas or intentionally playing down its effects and likely consequences for those exposed to such campaign.

Churchill might have saved Britain and the world from a monster, but in some other respects he was still a very nasty and unpleasant individual, no doubt about that.

The likely consequences of tear gas were well known. As were the likely results of high explosive and high velocity bullets. The British Government was also concentrating on specific towns and villages which were in open revolt, ie military targets. Saddam attacked civilians at random.

But the point is that gas is no worse (and in many ways better) than other methods of waging war. If I can be bothered I'll look up the stats when I get home, but in WW1 about 10% of British soldiers gassed died, with another 10% suffering some sort of permanent injury. This is actually less than high explosive (about 30% dead) and bullet wounds (around 40% dead)
  • Options
    You are wrong to say that patriotism means going along with anything the government says.
    Well I never said that, but that would obviously be the ideal for the government. But it makes the population intrinsically biased towards any act committed by their own country. This has been proven time and time again.
    What stays constant in a patriot, is the love of their country (like the love of a certain rubbish hapless England rugby team) even when it does abominable things. And it is precisely because they love their country that they will seek to stop their country from doing something abominable and criticise the government if they believe it's doing something abominable. I don't regard the slavish patriotism you describe as true patriotism.
    But you don't need patriotism to do any of those things, nor does it improve your ability to oppose atrocities or your own government. It can however, be used as another method of control (not suggesting for one second that this is the case for anyone who describes themselves as a patriot). And an abscence of patriotism can certainly help people to look at a political situation more objectively, so you don't get the, "Who are you going to believe, us or them?" rhetoric. And since it has no discernable benefits, putting any sort of taxpayers money into promoting it is money down the toilet.