Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Return of the Iron Cross?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The fact that you have to ask that question shows what comfort you live in. Get your head out of your books, step off campus and learn a little about life. Failing that, change to history instead of sociology.

Ok, that's another ad hominem, and has been used because you cannot answer the actual point.

How does paying one man to murder another help me or anyone else to be free?
  • Options
    Shimmer wrote: »
    How does paying one man to murder another help me or anyone else to be free?

Seriously kid, I'm not part of your fucking a-level research. If you cannot answer that question yourself then clearly you are nowhere near as intelligent as you think you are.
  • Options
    Seriously kid, I'm not part of your fucking a-level research. If you cannot answer that question yourself then clearly you are nowhere near as intelligent as you think you are.

Ok.

Still no answer. I'll assume you are doing some elaborate bluff or something and don't really know, then.
  • Options
    You really are making yourself look a complete tool. You do realise that, don't you?

Answer me this, do you consider yourself free? Do you live your life in fear of your Govt, or anyone elses, do you fear the knock on the door in the middle of the night because of something which you may have said outloud? Do you worry that your mother/sister is going to be raped in front of you before some low life scumbag slits your throat for shits and giggles? Do you worry that yuo will be tortured just because you look at someone the wrong way, wear the wrong clothes or were born into the wrong ethnic grouping...?
  • Options
    You really are making yourself look a complete tool. You do realise that, don't you?

Answer me this, do you consider yourself free? Do you live your life in fear of your Govt, or anyone elses, do you fear the knock on the door in the middle of the night because of something which you may have said outloud? Do you worry that your mother/sister is going to be raped in front of you before some low life scumbag slits your throat for shits and giggles? Do you worry that yuo will be tortured just because you look at someone the wrong way, wear the wrong clothes or were born into the wrong ethnic grouping...?

I wasn't aware that how I look had any bearing on the problem at hand, to be quite honest. In fact, I am sure it doesn't.

I consider myself fairly free, yes.

I'm not sure what your list has to do with paying a man to kill another man making me more free. Can you explain it a little more please?
  • Options
    In fact, I am sure it doesn't.

No, but it will do you good to learn some humility. To realise that you aren;t impressing anyone here with your efforts to come across as educated. You don't.

You come across as someone who learned about life from a sociology course. We get people like that around here a lot. Eventually they realise that, actually, they don't know half as much as they think that they do.
    I'm not sure what your list has to do with paying a man to kill another man making me more free. Can you explain it a little more please?

Do you think that your sense of well being happens by accident? Do you think that what has come before you even existed might have some bearing on that?

Heaven forbid, do you think that the fact that people are willing to fight and die to prevent someone else taking that freedom away from you might have something to do with it?

Is that simplistic enough for you?
  • Options
    No, but it will do you good to learn some humility. To realise that you aren;t impressing anyone here with your efforts to come across as educated. You don't.

Bald, factual statements coming accross as tactless?
    You come across as someone who learned about life from a sociology course. We get people like that around here a lot. Eventually they realise that, actually, they don't know half as much as they think that they do.

This I don't care about. (Joking, joking!)
    Do you think that your sense of well being happens by accident? Do you think that what has come before you even existed might have some bearing on that?

No.
    Heaven forbid, do you think that the fact that people are willing to fight and die to prevent someone else taking that freedom away from you might have something to do with it?

No. Can you show me the steps please, I do not see them. Who wants to hurt me and how does paying someone to murder them help me?
    Is that simplistic enough for you?

No.
  • Options
    Soldiers murder for pay. This is the fact of the matter.

They are hit men. That's all.

Do they - murder after all is illegal killing. Killing in war is state sanctioned - ergo it cannot be murder.

And as I said I've never killed anyone -for pay or otherwise (and frankly there's lot's of better paid jobs I could have joined which didn't involve me having to shiver in the cold of the night)
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Sigh. Then again, you remind me of another member who enjoyed his circular, illogical, philosophical arguments.:chin:

That's what I was thinking - though they were a bit brighter...
  • Options
    Who wants to hurt me and how does paying someone to murder them help me?

You know, I'm not going to bother. You aren't worth my time or bandwidth.

Open Google and have a look at what is happening in Burma, or look af Spain in the 30s - most notably on the outcome of the civil war there.

Alternatively, now here's a little thought, look at what happened in Europe in the early 40s.

If those don't give you a hint, then I'd suggest that you return to Primary School and start all over again because our education system will clearly have failed.
  • Options
    Do they - murder after all is illegal killing. Killing in war is state sanctioned - ergo it cannot be murder.

And as I said I've never killed anyone -for pay or otherwise (and frankly there's lot's of better paid jobs I could have joined which didn't involve me having to shiver in the cold of the night)

Depends who you ask. You ask a german, britsher is a murderer, ask an eglishman, fritz is the murderer.

However, one man pays another man to kill someone else. Facts don't change in any case.
  • Options
    You know, I'm not going to bother. You aren't worth my time or bandwidth.

Open Google and have a look at what is happening in Burma, or look af Spain in the 30s - most notably on the outcome of the civil war there.

Alternatively, now here's a little thought, look at what happened in Europe in the early 40s.

If those don't give you a hint, then I'd suggest that you return to Primary School and start all over again because our education system will clearly have failed.

Ok, so you were bluffing.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    The horrors of Nazism aside, you're both talking as if the Prussian militarism that preceded it was tea parties and cute pink rabbits.

Well of course, but then the crusades from which we get our St. George's Cross were hardly an international peace-keeping mission either, and yet we still use it.
  • Options

You're asking entirely the wrong question. It should be "How can one man killing another man prevent someone from taking my freedom." Freedom cannot be given by a gun, but it can be taken by a gun. And in that situation, the only thing preventing it is you having a gun yourself (or paying someone to have one on your behalf).
  • Options
    You're asking entirely the wrong question. It should be "How can one man killing another man prevent someone from taking my freedom." Freedom cannot be given by a gun, but it can be taken by a gun. And in that situation, the only thing preventing it is you having a gun yourself (or paying someone to have one on your behalf).

Ok, and if that man has a gun and I do not, how do I prevent him from taking my freedom?
  • Options
    Ok, and if that man has a gun and I do not, how do I prevent him from taking my freedom?

You don't.
  • Options
    You don't.

Right, so how does paying a man to shoot another man make me free?
  • Options

You pay someone else to put their life on the line and hope the chap you pay is better than the other guy...
  • Options
    Jesus Christ, this is like pulling teeth. A bloke comes up to you, points a gun at you and says "don't move." Your freedom is taken (well technically, you have a choice - stay or die). Another bloke who just happens to be your mate shoots him in the head. You are now free to go about your business. Your freedom is reinstated. It really isn't that hard a concept.
  • Options
    If better guys exist, then I do not need to pay him.

If better guys do not exist, I need my own gun.

Either way, paying someone else to have more force than I do is completely illogical.
  • Options
    If better guys exist, then I do not need to pay him.
    That assumes that better guys just happen. They don't. Better guys are trained and equipped with your money, not just hired with your money. Without our money, there would be no soldier to protect you, just a poorly trained man with a stick.
    If better guys do not exist, I need my own gun.
    Fair enough.
    Either way, paying someone else to have more force than I do is completely illogical.
    You're failing to realise that it's your money that gives them the extra force. I'd love to see the RAF attempt an air raid of Afghanistan with just the men.
  • Options
    That assumes that better guys just happen. They don't. Better guys are trained and equipped with your money, not just hired with your money. Without our money, there would be no soldier to protect you, just a poorly trained man with a stick.

Better in this sense would be better morally. i,e, they don't use the superior force to hurt me once they have it. That's got nothing to do with being a more efficient killer.
    You're failing to realise that it's your money that gives them the extra force. I'd love to see the RAF attempt an air raid of Afghanistan with just the men.

But how does me giving them money to be better killers make me free?

Surely I am always everafter at their whim?
  • Options
    Better in this sense would be better morally. i,e, they don't use the superior force to hurt me once they have it. That's got nothing to do with being a more efficient killer.
    If you want someone to dedicate the time to becoming an efficiant killer, then it is obviously logical to allow them to do it professionally (i.e. full time). And that's quite a drain on their time, so it's quite hard for them to get another job to pay for luxuries like food and bringing up their children.
    But how does me giving them money to be better killers make me free?
    We've already mentioned this. It doesn't make you free, it means that if such a situation occurs that someone wants to take away your freedom, they will prevent it.
    Not as long as you hold the purse strings.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware that how I look had any bearing on the problem at hand, to be quite honest. In fact, I am sure it doesn't.

I consider myself fairly free, yes.

You are free because pretty much all the time, big blokes in uniform, with guns or without are preventing the people who want to take your freedom from doing so.
    Where that be freedom from having your uni room broken into, or freedom from being blown up on a bus, or freedom from having to salute the swastika every morning and say Heil Hitler before lessons is irrelevant.

You are free because people with a lot more guts than you protect you.
  • Options
    Well of course, but then the crusades from which we get our St. George's Cross were hardly an international peace-keeping mission either, and yet we still use it.

We didn't get our St. George's Cross from the crusades, we got it from the martyrdom of St. George.
  • Options
    Been said already, but yeah I think Germany should bring the Iron Cross back.
    It's a millitary medal that has been awarded to soldiers of the German and Prussian armies for years before the second world war. Even during the second world war, it wasn't a Nazi medal as such. It was still a medal awarded to the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen SS or any of the German fighting forces as a medal of bravery, and they were just the armed forces of a Nazi occupied nation. Not quite the same as wearing an Allgemeine SS Death's Head badge.
    The Iron Cross is no different from our Victoria Cross. Both Britain and Germany have been through periods of times when we've done horrific things.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Both Britain and Germany have been through periods of times when we've done horrific things.

We never did anything as horrific as giving the world the goose-step.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    You are free because pretty much all the time, big blokes in uniform, with guns or without are preventing the people who want to take your freedom from doing so.
    Where that be freedom from having your uni room broken into, or freedom from being blown up on a bus, or freedom from having to salute the swastika every morning and say Heil Hitler before lessons is irrelevant.

You are free because people with a lot more guts than you protect you.

No, I am free by default, it can only be taken away, not granted.

How does the existence of "big men in uniform" free me?

I have to do what they say, surely. They are what you claim they protect me from. The proposition is laughable.
  • Options

Do you feel you are at the whim of the army currently? Do they often wander into your house and steal your money? When Parliament cuts defence spending do you worry about a coup? When there were the recent regimental cuts was Blair wandering around in fear of the army coming after him?
  • Options
    Do you feel you are at the whim of the army currently? Do they often wander into your house and steal your money? When Parliament cuts defence spending do you worry about a coup? When there were the recent regimental cuts was Blair wandering around in fear of the army coming after him?

If their whim is to leave me alone, how does that prevent me from being at the mercy of their whim?