Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vista?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it worth bothering?
i'm quite happy with XP but i was quite happy with 98 at the time.
XP came along and made 98 seriously primitive ...will upgrading to Vista be so great?
(not that i have a pirate copy yet ...

Comments

• Options
    From what I've heard, NO
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    They call it "Svista" over here (which means "erase them" :p).
  • Options
    i've got vista on my laptop and i've honestly never had a problem with it

in all honesty its not that much different from XP, slower transferring files and good graphics but thats about it
  • Options
    As someone who uses both systems, I wouldn't say it's worth upgrading to Vista. It's a perfectly good operating system, but it's nothing outstanding. I had Vista installed when I bought my laptop last year and can't really notice much that's different to Windows XP about it. What you can do in Vista, you can usually do in XP.
  • Options
    it's not much different imo.

the new word on office 2007 though is HORRIBLE and I HATE IT (apart from the bit where it shows your word count in the left corner) but apart from that it's HORRIBLE and I HATE IT and I also HATE TABS while we're at it.
  • Options
    it's not much different imo.

the new word on office 2007 though is HORRIBLE and I HATE IT (apart from the bit where it shows your word count in the left corner) but apart from that it's HORRIBLE and I HATE IT and I also HATE TABS while we're at it.

I have the new office at work and I hated it at first, but it does grow on you after a while.

I have Vista because it came with my laptop, but its not worth upgrading I'd say.
  • Options
    That may be true but it's still HORRIBLE and I HATE IT right now :D
  • Options
    Is it worth bothering?
    i'm quite happy with XP but i was quite happy with 98 at the time.
    XP came along and made 98 seriously primitive ...will upgrading to Vista be so great?
    (not that i have a pirate copy yet ...

Vista isn't the great leap that 98 > XP was. It's certainly not worth going out of your way to install imho.
  • Options
    It all depends on what you use it for, if your a power user then you may notice some differences.

But if your someone who does not like change, stick with XP until the Service pack is released in Mid-March :)

Then it might be worth upgrading - But do a fresh installstion.
  • Options
    I tend to over-spec for my OS:

Windows 95 - PII 350Mhz, 128 MB RAM
    Windows 98 - Thunderbird 1400 MHz, 512 MB RAM
    Windows 2000 - PIV 2800 MHz hyperthreading, 1 GB RAM
    Windows XP - PIV 3400 MHz dual-core, 2 GB RAM
    Windows Vista - PIV 3000 MHz core-2-duo, 4 GB RAM

I missed out Win NT and ME for obvious reasons :-)
  • Options
    I have really never had any severe problems with Vista. A few programs didn't work well out of the box, but one should be able to get fixes for most programs from the software vendor. Copying stuff goes quite slow compared to XP, but afaik that is one of the things that will be sorted out with SP1.

As long as you have a computer with a modern processor, spacious hard drive and 2gb ram or more, most people should be ok with Vista, but I reckon it won't matter to most desktop users.
  • Options
    I don't like Vista and would like to go back to XP. :(
  • Options
    vista is definately win. just make sure yer computer has a bit of power
  • Options
    So, it's not much different, just a bit slower, eh? Sounds great!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    katralla wrote: »
    Yeah. Its called 'progress'!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Thats what i'm wary of ...and people are already talking about a bleedin service/put it right pack!
    service pack one and two for xp were basicaly an entirely new operating sytem but they didn't like to admit that.
  • Options
    I'm the only one speaking about the service pack :)

Its just a collection off big updates all at once. Does other programs/software/devices not update?
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Windows 2000 - PIV 2800 MHz hyperthreading, 1 GB RAM
    Windows XP - PIV 3400 MHz dual-core, 2 GB RAM
    Windows Vista - PIV 3000 MHz core-2-duo, 4 GB RAM
    I'm a pedant I know, but there's no Pentium IV -they stopped using roman after III. It's P4 :p
  • Options
    Indrid are you sure? Just that on the box of this game specs it says
    "Intel Pentium(R) IV 1.5GHz or AMD XP 1500+".

Regardless :p, if you're happy with XP no need to upgrade - it'll be a hassle formatting and everything. When you get your next PC it will come preloaded. Yes, it has more features and runs faster than XP but the next version of windows is due for a 2009 release which is supposed to be an optimised and fleshed out version of Vista. Although peculiar, look backwards to see what it will look like:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y

From the unofficial review that emerged on the web, Windows 7 that is coming after Vista looks almost exactly like the above. Windows Vista is good, but Microsoft was developing 'longhorn' and needed to release a new product so put vista out, which is longhorn halfway done.

I'm a tech whore so of course I got Vista not long after it came out. Despite everyone moaning about it, it works better than XP, even without any service packs. SP1 has been released (ish) now - it's due in March but it's in Windows Update, so who knows.

There are more leniant piracy things. If you have a pirate copy in SP1, it will just say 'your copy is not legal, please purchase a key' rather than shutting you out or anything. A lot of the bad press around Vista is that of either luddites (who still prefer the Windows 95 interface) or misinformed anti-microsofts (sorry, should that be micro$oft?).

Having said all that, it's still probably not worth upgrading if XP is working fine :). But if you were getting a new system go with Vista rather than XP.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Indrid are you sure? Just that on the box of this game specs it says
    "Intel Pentium(R) IV 1.5GHz or AMD XP 1500+".
    Other can make mistakes. But Intel itself calls it 4. :p
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

But if you were getting a new system .
    I have stopped consuming ...i refuse to keep buying what i don't realy need. my needs are few and my wants are coming closer and closer to that point as well.