Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tesco wants cheap alcohol banned

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not the price, it's the retailers.

Last night, I tell no lie we had a phone call from a shop. "We've just had an 18 year old in, he's shown us ID who was with a group of kids. He's come in and bought 2 bottles of vodka and gone with a smirk on his face. We think he's given it to the youngsters".

I mean, what a bunch of fucking muppets. If retailers like the above switched their brains on for a second we wouldn't have the problems we do. They daren't refuse a sale in case, god forbid they lose some money or get sworn at, they don't give a rat's ass about what those 2 bottles of vodka could do to the community at large.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No no no, that would enfringe on our civil liberties. What we need is a change of living standards, lower rent/mortage and lower working hours plus provision for poor families and those who live in working class areas.
    So if everyone worked fewer hours, there'd be less of a problem? Initially, that sounds absolutely daft. However, when one considers that Brits work the most hours in Europe, there may be something in it.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I mean, what a bunch of fucking muppets. If retailers like the above switched their brains on for a second we wouldn't have the problems we do. They daren't refuse a sale in case, god forbid they lose some money or get sworn at, they don't give a rat's ass about what those 2 bottles of vodka could do to the community at large.
    Agreed. However, can you honestly be surprised? When I refused to sell alcohol to customers when I worked in a shop, some of them got very abusive indeed. One of the customers even threatened to knock me senseless if he ever saw me again, which was jolly nice of him, wasn't it? Thankfully, I never backed down and the managers would always support me. (mainly because I'd give them a bollocking if they didn't!)

Overall, retailers do give a damn about the damage that alcohol can do, but they also give a damn about the damage that angry customers can do to shop staff.