Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone ever seen a ghost??

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ±Lover± wrote: »
    nooooooooo they are real!!! im a beliver :( x

Any evidence for their existence? ;)
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Any evidence for their existence? ;)

no lol but i would like to belive they are, what do you think happens to your soul after you die then??
  • Options
    no lol but i would like to belive they are, what do you think happens to your soul after you die then??

There's no evidence that souls exist either. :p
  • Options
    grrr ok ok, but i think deep down, u KNOW its all true :P
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Some years ago, there was no scientific evidence that you could make machines that fly, we know better now.
    If you ask me, saying "There's no scientific evidence of it, so it can't be true" is like saying "Everything that could be invented, has been invented already" (someone did say that!).
    It's a different thing if you prove something couldn't exist, but as long as there's no proof either way it's all a matter of what each individual believes.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I was convinced I saw a girl in my doorway about 10 years ago when I was in bed who waved at me then walked through the foot of my bed and dissapeared. Dunno if it was me dreaming or not though. I've never actually seen like a human looking ghost, but I've seen black shapes shifting around my room before and one time in the bathroom I was brushing my teeth and thought I saw someone stood near the toilet, so I looked and there wasn't anyone there. Then I felt someone walk behind me and out the door and could smell cigarettes (no one in our house smokes and windows were shut). I told my mum the next day and it turns out that the bathroom used to be a bedroom and someone died who smoked which is why the rest of the family moved out before we went in. Also seen doors swinging by themselves and the front door has been slammed a few times when no ones there. My dog often stares and barks at stuff that isn't there too. My mum claims to have been visited by her auntie too and said the room filled with light and she became all tingly and they kinda spoke without saying anything. She'd come to say hello and said she'd just been to see me and my brother then left. After that she kept finding white feathers everywhere which are supposed to be a sign of your guardian angel. Sounds mad I know!
    Not as much happens as it used to though, not much has happened for years now.

Whilst I'm a complete sceptic and don't believe in ghosts.

When you mentioned everything going light and tingly and such, well that's kind of happened in a weird way to me before.

Still, I don't believe any of it. I always tell my mum when I have dreams about my dad because she believes it religiously, and always tell her he's having a great time, drinking a beer or whatever...
  • Options
    I do think alot of things can be explained, but then you get several people all seeing the same thing at the same time or experiencing things that they didn't know about but other people have already experienced. You can't disprove it either :p
  • Options
    Some years ago, there was no scientific evidence that you could make machines that fly, we know better now.
    If you ask me, saying "There's no scientific evidence of it, so it can't be true" is like saying "Everything that could be invented, has been invented already" (someone did say that!).
    It's a different thing if you prove something couldn't exist, but as long as there's no proof either way it's all a matter of what each individual believes.

Exactly. There's no proof that ghosts don't exist either. Personally I don't believe in ghosts but think the faith that people have in the afterlife is comforting. My problem with it is when mediums and other idiots take advantage and proclaim to speak to your deceased loved one. It's messed up.
  • Options
    There's no proof that ghosts don't exist either.

Surly it is up to the person making the claim to provide the proof. This argument is used for many supernatural claims...

..For example there would be many ways of proving the existence of ghosts, ie:
    *Some way of 'seeing' them.
    *Some method of communicating and getting information which would otherwise be impossible.
    *Verifiable video evidence.
    *Detecting them interact with our world
    ...im sure many more

Now, can you suggest some 'proof' that would 'prove ghosts don't exist'?
    ..the only one I can think of is the total absence of positive proof.

feww, I typed proof alot of times! :)
  • Options

To be fair, whilst there was no evidence that machines could fly - there was plenty of evidence that some things could fly. There was plenty of evidence that within nature or physics that some creatures were able to fly.

There was no proof we could drive machines underwater until working submarines were built but again we could see the evidence of creatures that could survive underwater, and by the same token could survive without air in space.

However I'm unaware of any evidence of anything in nature that suggests that death isn't an absolute rule of exsistence.
  • Options
    Yea isn't there a philosophical rule somewhere that if you have two equally probably scenarios, the more simple one is the best one to believe in / more likely. So after death - there is either a wonderful heaven / afterlife / we walk around as ghosts, or there is nothing.

I think it's a fairly good way of thinking, of course I wouldn't stop anyone from having their own beliefs :) (it's one of my pet hates people [atheists] who use kind of thinking to bash others. I'm not religious but I fully support people's right to believe something and not to be hassled because of it)
  • Options
    Occam's Razor -

William of Ockham was a 14th century logician and Franciscan friar. The principal was -

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", or
    "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity".

Simply put - 'All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best'

Of course you'd still have to decide whether that means ghosts existing or not existing is actually the simpliest thing to believe in ;)
  • Options
    sennheiser wrote: »
    Surly it is up to the person making the claim to provide the proof. This argument is used for many supernatural claims...

..For example there would be many ways of proving the existence of ghosts, ie:
    *Some way of 'seeing' them.
    *Some method of communicating and getting information which would otherwise be impossible.
    *Verifiable video evidence.
    *Detecting them interact with our world
    ...im sure many more

Now, can you suggest some 'proof' that would 'prove ghosts don't exist'?
    ..the only one I can think of is the total absence of positive proof.

feww, I typed proof alot of times! :)

There will never be anything to suggest that ghosts absolutely exist as they only seem to appear to people privately but at the same time there will never be anything to absolutely 100% to suggest that ghosts don't exist. If it were that why now than why would lots of people still claim to have seen them when it had been proved that they don't exist?
  • Options
    If it were that why now than why would lots of people still claim to have seen them when it had been proved that they don't exist?

It's your brain playing tricks on you. And I know this can be proven scientifically, optical illusions are known fact. Fear can be a big contribution in this, hence why people always see ghosts in "haunted" houses or dark countryside lanes and not sitting beside you playing a game of chess while you surf the net. :)
  • Options
    ok then, what about people who get posessed? take the excorist for example, i know its just a film but it was based on a true story and loads of people died when making the film!
  • Options
    There will never be anything to suggest that ghosts absolutely exist as they only seem to appear to people privately but at the same time there will never be anything to absolutely 100% to suggest that ghosts don't exist. If it were that why now than why would lots of people still claim to have seen them when it had been proved that they don't exist?

"When one admits that nothing is certain one must, I think, also admit that some things are much more nearly certain than others." I think that pretty much covers my opinion on that. Aliens are more likely than ghosts, for example, because we know that the universe can support life, or we wouldn't be here. We have no proof for either, but one is certainly more likely than the other.

Similarly, if you were to ask a person several hundred years ago what was the most probable: human flight, or human time travel, then the correct answer would be human flight, because they have the evidence that flight is possible within our currently understood system of physics, even if the technology wasn't advanced enough yet.
  • Options
    ok then, what about people who get posessed? take the excorist for example, i know its just a film but it was based on a true story and loads of people died when making the film!

It's all a load of superstitious bullshit. Read this article to show how it's all in the mind:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=00086A66-F080-1C63-B882809EC588ED9F
  • Options
    It's certainly a load of bollocks but I understand why people claim to have seen ghosts in their bedroom and stuff.

I get sleep paralysis from time to time, and I just wake up in the middle of the night and can't move. I'm fully awake and sometimes I have mild hallucinations of someone being in the room, or I can see a dark figure in the corner of my eyes, but I can't turn my head to look at them. When I first had them it was pretty traumatic, but I've learnt to deal with them now and reading up about it, it seems quite common. Some people have much more severe and vivid hallucinations.

I think this is a very logical reasoning as to why people (who are completely normal and sane) are convinced they've been abducted by aliens as well. Most alien abductees report not being able to move and seeing dark figures moving around beside them. Classic symptoms of sleep paralysis if you ask me.
  • Options
    Yeah - think this one might be p&d now :)
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    It's certainly a load of bollocks but I understand why people claim to have seen ghosts in their bedroom and stuff.

I get sleep paralysis from time to time, and I just wake up in the middle of the night and can't move. I'm fully awake and sometimes I have mild hallucinations of someone being in the room, or I can see a dark figure in the corner of my eyes, but I can't turn my head to look at them. When I first had them it was pretty traumatic, but I've learnt to deal with them now and reading up about it, it seems quite common. Some people have much more severe and vivid hallucinations.

I think this is a very logical reasoning as to why people (who are completely normal and sane) are convinced they've been abducted by aliens as well. Most alien abductees report not being able to move and seeing dark figures moving around beside them. Classic symptoms of sleep paralysis if you ask me.

:yes:

I get it all the time myself.
  • Options
    Apparently the little grey man figure is a basic psychological template that every human has in order to recognise their mother when they're a baby. Neuroscience is a complicated area, and as long as science doesn't know everything (which it never will) nutjobs or people who recognise a good money-making scheme will claim that their theory has some validity with no evidence. Plus ghosts are fun. :thumb:
  • Options
    "When one admits that nothing is certain one must, I think, also admit that some things are much more nearly certain than others." I think that pretty much covers my opinion on that. Aliens are more likely than ghosts, for example, because we know that the universe can support life, or we wouldn't be here. We have no proof for either, but one is certainly more likely than the other.

Similarly, if you were to ask a person several hundred years ago what was the most probable: human flight, or human time travel, then the correct answer would be human flight, because they have the evidence that flight is possible within our currently understood system of physics, even if the technology wasn't advanced enough yet.

But if you'd asked them about a box which sits in the corner with moving pictures and sounds what would they have thought?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    It's your brain playing tricks on you. And I know this can be proven scientifically, optical illusions are known fact. Fear can be a big contribution in this, hence why people always see ghosts in "haunted" houses or dark countryside lanes and not sitting beside you playing a game of chess while you surf the net. :)

Yeah I agree. I don't believe in ghosts personally :) Just that it's so common to have experiences with ghosts apparently.
  • Options

Yea, as I said in my other thread I had some weird experience the other night normally classed as an out of body experience, which people sometimes believe is your soul leaving your body to go on a trip. In reality, it's when your conciousness wakes up, but your senses dont. So you feel perfectly awake except without sensation. And minus the sensation of gravity, you feel like you're floating up (try standing against a wall and push your arm against it for a minute, if you stop, your arm floats naturally). Your mind fills in the rest of the blanks... especially if you were having a dream before you could have some pretty f*cked up 'adventures' :p.
  • Options
    But if you'd asked them about a box which sits in the corner with moving pictures and sounds what would they have thought?

Well you're asking a very specific question about the workings of a very specific invention there. So no, they wouldn't know the exact form of such a device, but if you were to ask them whether it would be possible to record and play back certain things, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility no. The first type of camera was invented in 470BC, for example. It's not much of a stetch to go from that to finding a substance on which the image can be automatically projected and stored (film, then digital). And then from there, it's just a case of putting lots of images together. And if you can do that with light waves, then you can do it with sound waves. Okay, the average person on the street might not know this, but to anyone with a knowledge of physics at the time, why not? Plenty of things are mathematically proven as possible, long before they're invented.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yea, as I said in my other thread I had some weird experience the other night normally classed as an out of body experience, which people sometimes believe is your soul leaving your body to go on a trip. In reality, it's when your conciousness wakes up, but your senses dont. So you feel perfectly awake except without sensation. And minus the sensation of gravity, you feel like you're floating up (try standing against a wall and push your arm against it for a minute, if you stop, your arm floats naturally). Your mind fills in the rest of the blanks... especially if you were having a dream before you could have some pretty f*cked up 'adventures' :p.

I heard about this bloke who injected his eye muscles with anesthetic, so they couldn't move. But when his brain tells them to move, it reacts as if they really have moved, and so assumes that because the eyes have moved, but the image has stayed the same, the room must be the thing that's moving round, and you end up with an earthquake effect. I'd love a go of it.
  • Options
    There will never be anything to suggest that ghosts absolutely exist
    Never say never: Supposing that they do exist, how would you know that a machine that can make them visible or heard will never be made? There's a legend(?) that Edison had tried to make such a device...
  • Options
    what if someone sees a ghost and is able to describe it accurately to another witness without knowing what they have seen, is that proof enough? :)
  • Options
    Wouldn't that be an absolutely huge assumption that what they "saw" was a ghost? What were the properties of this ghost?
  • Options
    Since we're on the subject, perhaps what people call "ghosts" does exist but has nothing to do with the souls of dead people. Other theories (whether they're more or less believable is up to you) are that they're parapsychological phenomena produced by the (living) people present in the area, or "imprints" of people's thoughts.
    On the latter, they mean that perhaps it's not the ghost of a Victorian-age woman you're seeing, but the imprint of her thoughts when she was living there. And I read about a "haunted" house somewhere, where people regularly see a "ghost" that looks like the fictional character from some novels that a writer who lived there wrote.