Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Colour boredom.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
K, so, my hair is currently red (see attached). I'm getting annoyingly bored with it because my hair doesn't seem to like having bright colours, so it fades to a kind of dark-ish red (rather than all bright and vibrant and lovely like it is when I first dye it) after about 2 washes. I know it looks bright in the second picture but that's because of the flash (I also know it looks greasy, but that's just the flash too).

I wanna change my colour. this is my natural colour, and I don't want to go too dark/bright because I know the roots will look awful (they're bad enough with the red), but I want a changgggggggge. I was thinking blonde, but I don't know if it would suit me?

Helpplease.

Comments

• Options
    I actually rather like your hair. Um... I would probably die it something crazy like blue, or purple. But yeah, blonde might be quite nice, if it were really bright.
  • Options
    Far too fast, hence annoying rootage :grump:.

I do like the colour, it's just getting on my nerrrrrrrrrves.

Conference? I think so. Bit busy atm though. Laterrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?
  • Options
    I think you should try blonde..just not crazy peroxide blonde!!
  • Options
    I think you should try blonde..just not crazy peroxide blonde!!
    My sister did crazy peroxide blonde and she looked really good with it.

Gonna try and get my colour stripped over the weekend (my mummy seems to be buying me tickets to go home to stop me being lonely :heart: ) then go blonde and maybe try that highlighty one?
  • Options
    She probably does. I just hate the harsh look it creates on some people. If blonde is your natural colour then I'm sure whatever shade you pick will look great :thumb: be brave!!
  • Options
    Yeh, I know. I wasn't gonna go with peroxide because of the risk of it going REALLY very wrong. Lizzy is very pale and skinny anyway so it didn't look so harsh against her skin. Hmmm....
  • Options
    I think it'd look ace blonde. In that kind of 'I obviously know this isn't natural' kind of blonde, with the eyeliner, and OH YES.

What's the worst that could happen? You don't like it and dye it back. Oh well!
  • Options
    Gonna have a go at it this weekend then :). Turns out my mum can't afford to bring me home :(. So what's the best way of getting rid of the red by myself? Should I buy a little bottle of head and shoulders then like a cheapy blonde dye to lighten it more and a good one for the proper colour or what?
  • Options
    Getting rid of red by yourself is tricky, but entirely possible. You may knacker your hair a little, but it should recover - especially as it is quite short. You also will need to accept that there is always the possibility of fuckup, and there will be no one to shove the blame onto. Personally I'm ok with the fuckup factor. If you aren't, either go for something a little less drastic, or seek a hairdresser.

What you will need is BLEACH and lots of it. Blonde dye will have no effect on your dyed hair, but will turn your roots a fetching shade of ginge. Believe me, I have tried this and looked totally stupid. Red dye is very stubborn, and you will probably need to bleach at least twice to get rid (I wouldn't do this on the same day - you may need to invest in a large hat), and then use toner in ash or beige blonde (you've seen them - the Born Blonde things in Boots etc) to get rid of the gross yellow tones.

Between now and then get head&shouldersing your locks like it's going out of fashion :)

P.S. This is a really good bleach: http://www.allhealth-info.com/shared/product.asp?id=27757 ignore the bit about 'superb condition'. It will knacker your hair a little, but if you condition it really well, it will recover.
  • Options
    Awesome :). Will go shopping tomorrow :D. Can you get that bleach at Superdrug and places?

Thank yooooooooooooou Kaff :heart:.
  • Options
    Superdrug, Boots and I think Wilkinsons do it.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Awesome :). Will go shopping tomorrow :D. Can you get that bleach at Superdrug and places?

Thank yooooooooooooou Kaff :heart:.

You can! It comes in three strengths too, I think. I used to use the middle one when I had le pink hair and it worked really well, but you could try the strong one if you are brave enough!
  • Options
    Ooohh yeah go blonde! I think it will really suit you! Go really blonde...not nasty looking like but blonder the better :thumb:
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Ooohh yeah go blonde! I think it will really suit you! Go really blonde...not nasty looking like but blonder the better :thumb:

Yeah i think that will look hot :thumb:
  • Options
    Although ash blonde does sometimes go grey - just something to think about when you are picking your toners, as your hair will be really porus from all the dying and will grab on to the colour - i had to get the hair dressers to un-grey mine, after an 'experimet' (never again!) and found out they have also sorts of these lovely tints/wash through toners so that might be something to think about, strip it back your self and get the hairdresser to finish off the colour - it cost me £20 which i thought was pretty good. And it had the desired effect - which for me was turning my hair back to my normal shade of blonde :p
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I wouldn't use the bleach from Boots. I used it and it didn't really work on my hair so I doubt it will on yours.

I think you will really suit blonde. Post pics when you do it :D
    Naturally ;).
  • Options
    Maybe you could go to a college and they can do it for you. I wouldn't bleach it yourself, I bleached my hair when I was 13 and completely ruined it.

I recently got my hair done at a college in Birmingham, it only cost £6 and it was fantastic.
  • Options
    Tbh I'd rather do it myself because if it goes wrong I have nobody to blame but myself, and I don't have to be all refusing-to-pay.
  • Options
    The bleach is on......:D.
  • Options
    I want to go back to being blonde. I think on my next four days off I'm going to bleach my hair and get rid of this red mop. It's been almost a year since I dyed it...

Would I need to get a bleach then a blonde hair colour, too or what would I need to do?

Let's see how yours turns out, Franki! :)
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    I want to go back to being blonde. I think on my next four days off I'm going to bleach my hair and get rid of this red mop. It's been almost a year since I dyed it...

Would I need to get a bleach then a blonde hair colour, too or what would I need to do?

Let's see how yours turns out, Franki! :)
    My hair was the same colour as yours (well, more or less, I did use that Herbal Essences but it's had plenty of other brands on it as well), so I'd say you would need to do the same :).
  • Options
    Ok don't panic if it goes ginger! just bleach it again, or just the especially 'warm bits' Did you buy the colour/toner for the finished look aswell?
  • Options
    Awww 1983 i think you're hair looks fabby red! Have you gone off it now then?
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    Ok don't panic if it goes ginger! just bleach it again, or just the especially 'warm bits' Did you buy the colour/toner for the finished look aswell?
    I did, then just in case that goes a bit yellow I bought another one too.

It is going VERY ginger, but I bought two packs of lightener, and I don't have any lectures tomorrow, so it's fine :D.
  • Options
    I did, then just in case that goes a bit yellow I bought another one too.

It is going VERY ginger, but I bought two packs of lightener, and I don't have any lectures tomorrow, so it's fine :D.

Mine went very ginger when I bleached it, ended up with Barbie colour though!
  • Options
    I think you should be documenting the process with some photo's!

I think because it was so red it will deff need two lots of lightening.
    My roots always look ginger half way through (and i panic everytime:p) and thats just from going mousy blonde/brown to blonde, but leave it on long enough and it all goes lovely!
  • Options
    I am documenting, don't worry :p.
  • Options
    This is exciting! I can get my hair back to blonde in the space of a few days! Well, as good as!

Ruby I do like my red hair, too. But I miss being blonde. It sucks cause I had the blonde hair lots of people try and replicate too. :crying:

Plus, it's a good 12quid every month at least to get my hair red!
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Plus, it's a good 12quid every month at least to get my hair red!

How often do you do it?

Mine faded well quick and even though it says every 6 weeks, I would end up doing it about every 3-4 weeks :(.
  • Options
    My hair was the same colour as yours (well, more or less, I did use that Herbal Essences but it's had plenty of other brands on it as well), so I'd say you would need to do the same :).

I used Herbal Essences, too! 'Citing!

I read somewhere that using Head And Shoulders strips the colour, too? Would it be best to use this in the days leading up? I just want my blonde back. :crying: