Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm craving the countryside..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
But being at uni in Manchester, I've come to terms that it's not a very country-fied place.

So this is where you guys come in. I'd like to be pointed in the direction of somewhere in the country. Must be Stagecoach bussable as I have a pass, and I can't afford trains.

Would really appreciate your help. I'm just after a half day trip where I can walk and admire some scenery?

Ta :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Anyone?!
  • Options
    My geography is appalling and I've no idea about stagecoaches, but the Lake District is near-ish (I think) and walking there is gorgeous
  • Options
    maps.google.co.uk

www.stagecoachbus.com/manchester

Search Manchester on google maps, there are several nice big green chunks not too far from Manchester and it appears the bus goes to some of them.

Glossop is on the edge of the Peaks and is served by buses from Manc, it also looks like you can get buses to Buxton and those will go through the countryside, get off somewhere like Fernilee if they go through there.

Not a perfect answer I know, but might be off some use, I've walked in the Peaks a few times, there's plenty there for afternoon strolls, not just serious walking.

Or, try having a look for some Peaks tourist info, that may give you bus access from Manc.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

Buxton was a recommendation my mentor gave me, so I might have to do that one then ;)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    To be honest, there is some bloody nice countryside around Burnley, which is only a bus ride away.

I mean how you would get to the countryside from here on a bus - if needs be - you are best off asking Lucky Strike.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    To be honest, there is some bloody nice countryside around Burnley, which is only a bus ride away.

I mean how you would get to the countryside from here on a bus - if needs be - you are best off asking Lucky Strike.

:yes: or just head anywhere in the region of the Ribble Valley - about an hour from manchester and only a few quid on a direct train and your in a *lovely* town with lots of *lovely* surrounding countryside. Am I sounding convincing?

Just don't think you would need to travel all the way to Lakes for an afternoons of strolling - look more local!
  • Options
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah Glossop is only a couple of quid. the walk back to Hadfield or Dinting is meant to be good but never done it.