Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Too much ice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just had a meal at KFC - was given a pepsi with ice without even being asked .. - what's more the entire glass (not paper cup) was totally filled with ice first and then pepsi added - doubt there was even 20% pepsi in that glass .. would have probably said something but I was exhausted by the time I go there and seeing as the staff didn't speak English and I don't speak Thai I was grateful I got the meal I wanted .. LOL

But 'm really noticing a trend with retailers taking the piss literally and loading up drinks with ice - there's laws covering the measure of a pint of beer when we gonna see laws that stop drinks being watered down with masses of ice.

Anyone being short changed in this way ?

Comments

• Options
    its been the same for years, when i used to work in a cinema years and years ago we were trained to fill the cup 3/4 with ice. its been like this as long as i can remember, the trick is to ask for no ice, you'll get more, unless its a fancy place with a auto pourer.
  • Options
    I always ask for no ice. I drink slowly, so otherwise half the drink ends up as water.

It's really bad with cocktails too. I once ordered a cocktail jug from a bar, and as they had run out of ice, the liquid didn't even come to halfway up the jug!
  • Options
    All the time. You usually get an idea of which places use regular amounts of ice and which go OTT, so you know there ask for none.

What's more annoying is the increasing amount of bars adopting a no glass policy. Fair enough at night when you're out clubbing and order a Jack and coke you don't really care you get it in one of those hard plastic cups that resembles a glass, but when you're in somewhere at lunch time and you want a nice pint with your meal, I don't want the entire FUCKING taste of a £3 pint negated by it being served in what at first glance looks like a regular pint glass, but has fucking seams down the side and makes the golden liquidy goodness contained within taste like shit. Honestly, no glass policies need to have a curfew worked into them, like around 7/8pm. I can't really see many people getting violent and glassing the guy sitting next to you while they chow down on a burger.
  • Options
    I ALWAYS say "No ice BITCH" problem solved.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

It's really bad with cocktails too. I once ordered a cocktail jug from a bar, and as they had run out of ice, the liquid didn't even come to halfway up the jug!

I would have made them fill it up lol.
  • Options
    I remember I asked for ice at some place thinking I would get a bit more. I didn't, they just filled it 3/4 the way full !! It's a bit of a joke really.
  • Options
    I would have made them fill it up lol.

And they would have just made you pay extra D:
  • Options
    Next time I'm gonna ask for a Pepsi with Water and see what they say - it's going beyond a joke these days.

I think the best thing to do is NOT ask for no ice but order whatever the drinks is, e.g. a Coke or Pepsi and when they preset it to you with ice refuse to pay for it - that way they'll start seeing some waste or start getting embarrassed to fill the glass with so much ice.

I couldn't even believe it today - they didn't even ask me what drink I wanted

Actually the soft drinks companies are also being short changed here not just the consumer - they sell syrup to these outlets who mix it with water and CO2 to make the drink but if they're loading it with ice then the drinks companies are being short changed as well.

I'm pretty sure the ice was even shaped in a certain way to take up more room them normal ice cubes - the ice was in wafers so when it was put in the glass there was even less gaps for the pepsi to fill.

Few weeks back we ordered about 5 or 6 jugs of cocktails from a Wetherspoons and it was like drinking flavoured water by the time the ice melted.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    All the time. You usually get an idea of which places use regular amounts of ice and which go OTT, so you know there ask for none.

What's more annoying is the increasing amount of bars adopting a no glass policy. Fair enough at night when you're out clubbing and order a Jack and coke you don't really care you get it in one of those hard plastic cups that resembles a glass, but when you're in somewhere at lunch time and you want a nice pint with your meal, I don't want the entire FUCKING taste of a £3 pint negated by it being served in what at first glance looks like a regular pint glass, but has fucking seams down the side and makes the golden liquidy goodness contained within taste like shit. Honestly, no glass policies need to have a curfew worked into them, like around 7/8pm. I can't really see many people getting violent and glassing the guy sitting next to you while they chow down on a burger.

those hard plastic ones that seem to be all the rage dont bother me too much, its when they bring out the flimsy plastic things like you get a BBQ, usually when there's football on etc.. they piss me off, try carrying 4 of those and you'll be covered in beer.

it seems to 3D Entertainment (formally Luminar) that have rolled out the plastic glass policy and i doubt they'd stock enough plastic and glass to have a cut off period
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the ice was even shaped in a certain way to take up more room them normal ice cubes - the ice was in wafers so when it was put in the glass there was even less gaps for the pepsi to fill.

this wont be done on purpose i wouldnt have thought, industrial ice makers make ice in all different shapes from cubes, balls, and these thin slices you speak of.
  • Options
    Glasses and ice are two different topics

Please feel free to setup a seperate thread - not polite to hijack a tread

We're talking about what goes into a glass not what material that glass is made from.
  • Options
    sorry for interupting, i'll leave you to your ice debate
  • Options
    It's a conspiracy!!

I did complain at the bar where they gave me the pathetic cocktail jug, but they said they had put the same amount of measures in as usual.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Glasses and ice are two different topics

Please feel free to setup a seperate thread - not polite to hijack a tread

We're talking about what goes into a glass not what material that glass is made from.
    How bitchy are you today eh?! :rolleyes:

Plastic glasses aren't cool at all.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »

Hey, don't you start, you might get a telling off too :p
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    And they would have just made you pay extra D:

Then I'd have stabbed them up.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Hey, don't you start, you might get a telling off too :p
    Am I supposed to care? :p
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    How bitchy are you today eh?! :rolleyes:

I think they are! I had one the other day and it was difficult to tell if it was glass or plastic. I thought it was fab. Much less breakage :thumb:

Haven't got much to say about ice but I suppose i better add something! I put 3 cubes in a spirit and mixer and 4 in a coke. I think that is good :yes:
  • Options
    I think the best thing to do is NOT ask for no ice but order whatever the drinks is, e.g. a Coke or Pepsi and when they preset it to you with ice refuse to pay for it - that way they'll start seeing some waste or start getting embarrassed to fill the glass with so much ice.

We are trained to put ice in unless the customer specifically asks for no ice. In winter I generally ask if they want ice in it or not, but when it's busy and I'm under pressure to get orders done etc then I won't. If you don't ask for it with no ice then it's not fair to refuse to pay for it just because it has ice in it. That's just rude, and all you have to do it say "oh, sorry, I didn't realise you would put ice in it". It's not the staff's fault if they've been trained.

Oh, and we at my McD's don't put much ice in at all. We have one which is auto-fill so if we put too much ice in it would all overflow.
  • Options
    Just get a refill then, problem solved :p

I don't know of any fast food places that fill your drink up around here. I wouldn't like that. But I always get water anyways so ice or not, it ends up the same.
  • Options

I don't know of any fast food places that fill your drink up around here. I wouldn't like that. But I always get water anyways so ice or not, it ends up the same.
    Apar from Subway they all do it for you here.
  • Options
    That would suck, how do the children make suicides, think of the children! :p
  • Options
    when i worked in universal and went on the food carts i was given a strict amount of ice that i was supposed to put into each cup.

on the cups there i was supposed to go up to a line that was printed inside it (basically on a normal glass it would be up to about half)

however if a customer specified that they wanted less or more than what i put in, i obviously had to change it for them.

i know for customers theyll feel differently (and now that i dont work there i would probably feel the same) but i used to get SOOO annoyed at people who would ask for a drink, not specify to me that they did or did not want ice, and then got reeeally shitty with me when i gave them it and it wasnt what they wanted.
    if you dont want ice, TELL ME BEFORE I PUT IT IN!! :impissed:

.... but yeah, i too hate it when its filled to the top and theres no drink in it :p
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    That's just rude, and all you have to do it say "oh, sorry, I didn't realise you would put ice in it". It's not the staff's fault if they've been trained.

Oh, and we at my McD's don't put much ice in at all. We have one which is auto-fill so if we put too much ice in it would all overflow.

Yes McDonalds isn't too bad - I've asked for no ice at McDonalds and seen how much the machine fills the glass to without ice and then seen them top it up ..

But I'm talking about the times when there's more ice in the glass then the product you're paying for. At KFC last night it was about 80% ice and 20% pepsi -

And no I don't think it's rude to send the drink back - bar staff are trained to screw the customer - it's about time they had a taste of what they've been dishing out all these years. It's rude to stuff an entire glass full of frozen water and expect punters to pay the full price.

Why should the customer by default have to specify they do not want a watered down drink? If the drink has already been chilled in the machine that makes it - then there should be no need at all for ice.

Also when you are abroad and you're told not to drink the local tap water - what do you think they've made the ice from?
  • Options

You're in the USA - where a lot of places just give you an empty cup and let you fill it however you like - in the UK most places don't let you fill your own or go back for a free refill.
  • Options
    soraliah wrote: »
    if you dont want ice, TELL ME BEFORE I PUT IT IN!! :impissed:

.... but yeah, i too hate it when its filled to the top and theres no drink in it :p

I wouldn't take it personally if someone sent a drink back - you were trained to do something which is lets face it is dishonest - adding ice to a drink is there to benefit the company far more then the customer - If your company was being totally honest they would have said to you - ask the customer if they want ice first.

I bet if you did ask first ... the vast majority of people would say no ice or just a little.
  • Options
    bar staff are trained to screw the customer - it's about time they had a taste of what they've been dishing out all these years.

:lol:

Care to explain to me as an ex barman, and the other barstaff still on here where you get that little snippet of information from? Sorry but it seems like something you either assumed or heard off a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend.....
  • Options
    NO ICE ICE BABY :D
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    :lol:

Care to explain to me as an ex barman, and the other barstaff still on here where you get that little snippet of information from? Sorry but it seems like something you either assumed or heard off a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend.....

Care to explain to us what the purpose of ice is in a drink that is already cold?

Does it improve the flavour?

As for sources of information it's common sense ..

More ice = more profits.

but if you really need one I used to work in the head office of one of the biggest drinks companies in the world. :)

But it don't take a genius to work out why companies add so much ice to drinks .. do you really need to have this explained to you - cos you're making out like bar people are too dumb to work it out for themselves? If you need an explaination for yourself then you should ask for yourself not bring in other people who have had the same job and can work out the reasoning behind it all for themselves.
  • Options
    I've worked in quite a few bars, and have never recieved specific training regarding ice. I always asked if a customer wanted ice, and if they did, I would put a few cubes in. Common sense surely?