Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Too much ice

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seriously dude you are getting well wound up about something and nothing, you go on about getting the drink you paid for, maybe they should remove the ice and charge you 80% more for you drink? would you be happy then?

in truth i couldnt give a shit how much drink i got from KFC, if you go to fast food cheapo places what do you expect?

its policy to add ice to drinks, if you dont agree it should be YOUR responsibility to say otherwise, you cant expect them to change their whole system for you and a few others who dont think they are getting value for money.

or even better DONT BUY ONE!

same works in a bar, you do realise when you get a whiskey and coke for example, you dont get any less alcohol?

ice adds to a drink, keeps it chilled for longer.

so to conclude. GET A GRIP!
  • Options
    Water's cheaper than sugar water.

If they can sell it for the same price, they will.
  • Options
    seriously dude you are getting well wound up about something and nothing, you go on about getting the drink you paid for, maybe they should remove the ice and charge you 80% more for you drink? would you be happy then?

in truth i couldnt give a shit how much drink i got from KFC, if you go to fast food cheapo places what do you expect?

its policy to add ice to drinks, if you dont agree it should be YOUR responsibility to say otherwise, you cant expect them to change their whole system for you and a few others who dont think they are getting value for money.

or even better DONT BUY ONE!

same works in a bar, you do realise when you get a whiskey and coke for example, you dont get any less alcohol?

ice adds to a drink, keeps it chilled for longer.

so to conclude. GET A GRIP!
    :yes:

And in most bars I've been to, they ask if you want ice in your drink anyway.

It may not be rude to send the drink back in itself, but refusing to pay for it IS. And it won't get you anywhere. Especially when, as LuckyStrike says, it is policy to put ice in. The staff aren't to blame because YOU decided not to specify either way. We are taught to assume that if you don't say anything, you want ice. You know they're going to do it, so it's only common sense to ask if you don't want ice.
  • Options
    haha good god I've never heard anyone get so het up about ice in my life! i'd hate to hear what you other problems were if this is such a big one for you, its ICE in a drink, bloody hell.

anyway, i like ice in my drinks, it makes them colder :p and they taste nicer. and iv never really experienced getting more ice than water - not even in fast food places like KFC or mcdonalds. just ask for no ice next time, la de daaaa
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I agree about plastic cups - some bars just don't even stock glass ones these days which really puts me off those places.

On the subject of ice - I love the crushed ice you can put in your own drink at Nandos :yum: More fast food places should have free refills like the US.
  • Options
    those hard plastic ones that seem to be all the rage dont bother me too much, its when they bring out the flimsy plastic things like you get a BBQ, usually when there's football on etc.. they piss me off, try carrying 4 of those and you'll be covered in beer.

Yeah. The clubs etc that use those flimsy ones know they're flimsy, as half of them actually use one cup inside the other when pouring. Pain in the arse when you don't look at it before drinking and it catches between the rim of the two and spills everywhere. Or you take the second one off and you need to squeeze it pretty tightly so the weight of the beer doesn't make it fall right through your fingers 'cause the cup bends.

But yeah, beer from plastic = bad, bad taste.
    it seems to 3D Entertainment (formally Luminar) that have rolled out the plastic glass policy and i doubt they'd stock enough plastic and glass to have a cut off period

A little forethought would have been good. There's this place near me (two actually, same chain) that do an offer of a free 12" pizza when you buy a drink. It can be beer, alcopops, soft drink, whatever. Their reasoning was that people would be attracted by the pizza (which is actually pretty decent), and they'd make their money back from people sitting having a few beers during and after. Giving that they use hard plastic cups, everyone goes in, orders a Coke at £1.40, gets their pizza and leaves. Me included. It's not that I'm cheap, I actually would stay for a few pints if they were in glasses and were actually drinkable. They've started to realise this and to make up their losses the new vouchers they're handing out only say a half price pizza, but a bunch of us have a year long student voucher book called Pocket Pages with the original offer in which they have to honour D:
    kangoo wrote: »
    I think they are! I had one the other day and it was difficult to tell if it was glass or plastic. I thought it was fab. Much less breakage :thumb:

As long as you're not a complete backwards moron it's not hard to not smash a glass. I honestly don't think I've ever smashed one in all the years I've been drinking out. The point of the selection of drinks and beers we have is each person likes the taste of at least one more than the others; they order this one (and pay the ridiculous UK prices) for the taste. They don't want it ruined by plastic.
  • Options
    Yeah, the place I work part time only uses plastic glasses. Ugh. They all get thrown away as well, how bad for the environment is that!

Mind you though, I have seen someone get glassed in the face, not nice.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Mind you though, I have seen someone get glassed in the face, not nice.

I think most people with sense avoid the kind of places that happens though :razz: But like I said, I can understand the policy at night. Just not during the day when I want a nice quiet pint with lunch :(
  • Options
    I'm really annoying because when I get asked if I want ice I say yes, but only 2 cubes :razz: So then the drink it cold but not filled with the stuff.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    On the subject of ice - I love the crushed ice you can put in your own drink at Nandos :yum:
    I had a run in with an ice machine in Nandos the other day, it wouldnt stop coming out and my glass got stuck and then ice started escaping onto the floor, arrrgh :blush:
  • Options
    I think cider takes alright with a plastic glass actually, tbh once I've ahd about six then I could be drinking it out of a flower pot for all I know :thumb:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I think cider takes alright with a plastic glass actually, tbh once I've ahd about six then I could be drinking it out of a flower pot for all I know :thumb:

:lol:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Glittery wrote: »
    I had a run in with an ice machine in Nandos the other day, it wouldnt stop coming out and my glass got stuck and then ice started escaping onto the floor, arrrgh :blush:

Oh noes!!!
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    As long as you're not a complete backwards moron it's not hard to not smash a glass. I honestly don't think I've ever smashed one in all the years I've been drinking out. The point of the selection of drinks and beers we have is each person likes the taste of at least one more than the others; they order this one (and pay the ridiculous UK prices) for the taste. They don't want it ruined by plastic.

Well shame you're not the only one who drinks in the pub I work in because we go through a hell of a lot of glasses. And you don't have to be a complete moron to break them, once they come out of the washer and are hot they are quite fragile. Its because they're made to smash easily into tiny pieces, rather than normal glass which breaks in big shards and can do a lot more damage. I'm sure everyone who works in a bar has been victim of spontaneous explosion of pint glasses where they shatter into thousands of pieces in your hand from just a little knock, or lifting them off another glass if they've been stacked warm.

I'm talking about the heavy duty plastic that feels like glass and is only slightly lighter, I think they are a fab idea, and like I said we struggled to work out if they were plastic or glass. Bouncing them on the floor confirmed it :) I don't like the disposable flimsy plastics.
  • Options
    Ahh the amount of times a pint glass (usually carling for some reason :S) has spontaneously exploded in my hand when I've been working behind a bar is rediculous. You'd also be surprised at how many glasses get smashed by customers on a busy Friday or Saturday night. On Mad Friday the floor was completely covered in glass, it was a mess. I'm pretty sure the customers aren't all morons though, they're were just rather drunk.

On the topic of ice, we got trained to fill glasses with a certain amount of ice because the company was making a loss on the postmix. There's no need to be rude to the bar staff for putting loads of ice in you drink if you haven't specified otherwise, chances are they're trained to do that and would get in trouble with their boss if they didn't. I remember one time I'd only put 3 cubes in a glass and the assistant manager saw me, snatched the glass out of my hand and filled it with ice, then handed it back to me while saying "I expect to see that much ice in every glass". You can't really expect much else if the company is making a loss though and regulars know that if they don't want ice they just need to ask when they order.

We do ask when it isn't busy if customers want ice, but when its a busy night you just have to get the drinks done asap and it's just automatic to put ice in.
  • Options
    yea. It pisses me off. never tried to ask for no ice, but when going out and you order a long drink they fill your glass up with those fist size ice cubes. Sometimes the upper ice cube even reaches over the rim of the glass. Then they give you a bit alcohol and a bit juice and charge you like 3,70? on that crap. When it's a really busy night, you sometimes got your glass empty before you return to your place.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    yea. It pisses me off. never tried to ask for no ice, but when going out and you order a long drink they fill your glass up with those fist bis ice cubes. Sometimes the upper ice cube even reaches over the rim of the glass. Then they give you a bit alcohol and a bit juice and charge you like 3,70? on that crap. When it's a really busy night, you sometimes got your glass empty before you return to your place.

New years resolution for You: NO ICE HONKY!!
  • Options
    I don't tend to drink all of the drink anyway so it doesn't bother me but I can see why it annoys others.
    I've had a burger and fries with no drink and it's only about 10p cheaper than a meal which includes the drink so you're not paying that much for the drink on top of that.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Care to explain to us what the purpose of ice is in a drink that is already cold?

Does it improve the flavour?

In some cases, yeah. I agree it's pointless in KFC and the like (although it doesn't really bother me), but pretty much all spirits, mixer or no, taste better with ice.
    Well shame you're not the only one who drinks in the pub I work in because we go through a hell of a lot of glasses.

I think you're missing the point. Sure, a load of the country are the "Give me Fosters/your cheapest beer and I don't care what you serve it in" type, but some actually like the taste of beer and aren't drinking to get drunk every time they go out. For the 92834982348th time, plastic negates the taste; how easily glasses are smashed is irrelevant to this point. I actually don't go into places that serve beer in the plastic, and I know I'm not the only one. So yeah, losing £10 - £15 a head in a party of around 4 - 8 for the sake of a few smashed glasses? That be good economics right thar.
    Kirsty* wrote: »
    You'd also be surprised at how many glasses get smashed by customers on a busy Friday or Saturday night. On Mad Friday the floor was completely covered in glass, it was a mess. I'm pretty sure the customers aren't all morons though, they're were just rather drunk.

No I wouldn't since I made a point of saying lunch time :razz: On Friday/Saturday's the majority are out to get drunk as quickly as possible. They don't really care what they drink, so usually whatever's cheapest. It makes perfect sense to use the hard plastic cups then, but my beef is when they're used during the day when food is being served. Beer tastes shit out of plastic, they still serve the food on regular plateswhich can get smashed anyway, and glassing someone is a moot point since you're sitting there with a steak knife. So yeah, there's no logic behind day time plastic cups unless it's laziness of not wanting to wash two types. What's next, paper plates and plastic knife and fork?
  • Options
    Another related thing that really annoys me is that whenever I go to McDonalds and ask for Coke, it's literally soda water with the smallest amount of syrup in.....it doesn't even taste like Coke!
  • Options
    this might have already been said but it pisses me off when you get a cocktail and they fill the glass with ice before adding anything. normally i do ask for no ice, but forgot last night. it doesn't bother me that much with other drinks but cocktails are expensive things for us students.
  • Options
    its been the same for years, when i used to work in a cinema years and years ago we were trained to fill the cup 3/4 with ice. its been like this as long as i can remember, the trick is to ask for no ice, you'll get more, unless its a fancy place with a auto pourer.
    I've always asked for drinks without ice.
  • Options
    Simmyluvsu wrote: »
    Another related thing that really annoys me is that whenever I go to McDonalds and ask for Coke, it's literally soda water with the smallest amount of syrup in.....it doesn't even taste like Coke!

I send them back.
  • Options
    Simmyluvsu wrote: »

That probably means the post-mix is pretty much empty and the bag needs to be changed. I'd definately take it back if that happened to me. The staff probably wont even notice the stuffs run out unless someone complains :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    Kirsty* wrote: »
    That probably means the post-mix is pretty much empty and the bag needs to be changed. I'd definately take it back if that happened to me. The staff probably wont even notice the stuffs run out unless someone complains :rolleyes:.

especially if its lemonade!
  • Options
    especially if its lemonade!
    Well it's pretty much impossible to tell by looking if the Sprite post-mix has run out. Since it's the same colour anyway. But Coke/Fanta are easy and we *do* tell the kitchen to change it as soon as we notice. It's just more hassle for us if we just give watery Coke to customers.
  • Options
    I think the bar staff type people in here are missing the point. If customers send back and refuse to pay for drinks that are ridiculously over filled with ice, your managers will stop telling you to do it as they'll lose more money in waste than they woulds have lost in extra drink from less ice.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    On the subject of ice - I love the crushed ice you can put in your own drink at Nandos :yum:

That's just what i was about to say :D I think that's a much better deal than what you get in certain places..
  • Options
    I was at a pub for a meal once. Wanted to buy a coke (I dont drink much alcohol) and the ice in the glass went 80% up to the top. I damn well asked the bartender to give me my money's worth. Whenever somebody asks me if I want ice now, I tend to say no, because they rip you off big time with it