Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

staying over but no sex.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok so you may have seen my post before christmas about the guy i'd met online and couldnt wait to meet but had to wait till after chistmas?

well i have finally met him, and things are going great! i met him on thursday for the first time and then went over to his on saturday night.

we watched films and cuddled up on the sofa, chatted about anything and everything and had a great time. it got to 4am before we knew it and he said if i wanted to stay i could.
i didnt want to leave him so i stayed :) he gave me shorts and t-shirt to sleep in and we cuddled up and talked some more. we kissed a little bit but he was a perfect gent and didnt try anything on.

to me it was so lovely and romantic and just perfect. but i've talked to a few people about it and they were all like 'you didnt sleep with him?!?!?!?' like i should have!

what do you guys think about it?

i think it was so nice that nothing happened and he didnt try it on...but maybe im being a bit naive?

Comments

• Options
    I think thats really lovely and respectful of him.
  • Options
    If he "tried it on" it shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

Well to be fair, thats not what she was saying, but sometimes it IS a bad thing if someone tries it on. Sometimes its fine though.
  • Options
    If he "tried it on" it shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.
    I actually agree with this. Would it have been the end of the world if he had been sexually attracted to you and actually acted on it? What would you have done if he did? Would your opinion of him have diminished because of that?
  • Options
    I actually agree with this. Would it have been the end of the world if he had been sexually attracted to you and actually acted on it? What would you have done if he did? Would your opinion of him have diminished because of that?

Just cos he didnt try it on, doesnt mean hes not sexually attracted to her :confused:
  • Options
    Just cos he didnt try it on, doesnt mean hes not sexually attracted to her :confused:
    Come on, you know what I mean.... I'm not doubting that he was sexually attracted to her.

Why is it on this place everything has to be spelt out?
  • Options
    If I was him I wouldn't have tried anything on, not after meeting twice. I think it's a good thing.

I really need to know someone before I get intimate like that.

Like some others have said though, I wouldn't see it as a particularly bad thing if he had tried it on, as long as he didn't push it if you had said no.

Anyway, to answer your original question. No I don't think you are being naive. I think it's a positive thing.
  • Options
    I don't think you're being naive at all, no. Sounds like you had a lovely evening though :)
  • Options
    but sometimes it IS a bad thing if someone tries it on. Sometimes its fine though.

Never in a situation like that though.
  • Options
    I think the part that annoyed me was 'he was a perfect gent and didn't try anything on', as if to say that if he did try anything on, he wouldn't be a 'perfect gent'.

I had sex on the first date with my girlfriend, and we're still together, and it was fine. I believe that my 'gentleman-ness' hasn't been compromised by it.
  • Options
    that sounds lovely! im pleased for you.

i dont think you've got anything to worry about, maybe he was just having a good time as it was and didnt want to risk ruining it.

sex isnt everything! not at this early stage!

congrats
  • Options
    I think the part that annoyed me was 'he was a perfect gent and didn't try anything on', as if to say that if he did try anything on, he wouldn't be a 'perfect gent'.

I had sex on the first date with my girlfriend, and we're still together, and it was fine. I believe that my 'gentleman-ness' hasn't been compromised by it.

it doesnt mean anything of the sort as far as i can see.
    I had sex on the first date with my boyfriend too, but i wouldnt have described him as the perfect gent about it :lol:

They had a romantic evening and he didnt try it on. Thats what they both wanted from the evening and he obviously was sensitive to what she was or wasnt up for, whether he wanted it or not. Thats what makes a perfect gent.
  • Options
    it doesnt mean anything of the sort as far as i can see.
    How can it possibly mean anything else?! He didn't try it on, ergo (in her words), he was a perfect gent. Unless you're trying to say that her opinion of him as a perfect gent wasn't based on him trying it on.... I get the niggling feeling that I don't think she would have said that if he had tried it on, do you?
    They had a romantic evening and he didnt try it on. Thats what they both wanted from the evening, and he obviously was sensitive to what she was or wasnt up for, [bold]whether he wanted it or not[bold]
    You're mixing yourself up, and saying two different things about the guy here.
    1) That he wanted a romantic evening and didn't want sex.
    2) That he wanted sex, but didn't because he was sensitive to the fact that she didn't.

Which one is it?
    Thats what makes a perfect gent.
    Not trying to have sex when you're in bed with a woman you've obviously connected with, you've had a great night chatting and kissing, and you've invited her to stay the night when she doesn't want to leave makes him a gentleman? You have a vestige of a point (I get what you're saying), but I would like to think that her viewing him as a gentleman wasn't just based on whether he wanted to get in her knickers or not. You're basically reiterating the OPs point, that because he didn't try to have sex with her, he's a gentleman, and he wouldn't have been if he had tried, even though (IMO) all the signs are there that it wouldn't be negatively received.
  • Options
    better to have not got sexual and have that to come if you want it than to have done something and regretted it, or even just had the mood soured. Sounds like it was perfect for what you wanted at that time, and therefore, just right.
  • Options
    How can it possibly mean anything else?! He didn't try it on, ergo (in her words), he was a perfect gent. Unless you're trying to say that her opinion of him as a perfect gent wasn't based on him trying it on.... I get the niggling feeling that I don't think she would have said that if he had tried it on, do you?

You're mixing yourself up, and saying two different things about the guy here.
    1) That he wanted a romantic evening and didn't want sex.
    2) That he wanted sex, but didn't because he was sensitive to the fact that she didn't.

Which one is it?

Not trying to have sex when you're in bed with a woman you've obviously connected with, you've had a great night chatting and kissing, and you've invited her to stay the night when she doesn't want to leave makes him a gentleman? You have a vestige of a point (I get what you're saying), but I would like to think that her viewing him as a gentleman wasn't just based on whether he wanted to get in her knickers or not. You're basically reiterating the OPs point, that because he didn't try to have sex with her, he's a gentleman, and he wouldn't have been if he had tried, even though (IMO) all the signs are there that it wouldn't be negatively received.

Im saying that nobody knows what he wanted. I have no idea if he wanted nothing more than to jump her, but didnt get the signs, so held back - now that is gentlemanly.
    He may have wanted to take it slow and not rush into sex for his own reasons, but still build up an intimate relationship.

Whatever way, he didnt try anything on, and she was glad he didnt, so thats perfect isnt it?
    It ISNT gentalmanly to try it on with someone who doesnt want you to.
    Its not a crime, but as Katralla says, better to have that yet to come than for him to sour the mood if he was rejected and possibly blow his chance.
  • Options
    Tbh, if it's what she wanted, then of course it's great that he didn't try anything. And of course it's not gentlemanly to attempt sex with someone who doesn't want it (I'm not disputing that). But we're not sure of the exact situation, or of the signs that the OP is putting out. Staying the night would say something different to me, especially if we had already hung out and things were going well, but that's just me.

All I'm saying is that if he had tried it and she had said 'no', the act of trying doesn't make him any less of a gentleman, especially given the context.
  • Options
    would mean he was less able to 'read' her though.
  • Options
    And?
  • Options
    and more concerned with getting his end away than working out what she may or may not want.

Staying over at a guys house, even if youre kissing and watching movies doesnt necessarily mean you want sex.

I think if youre not sure, and you actually care about seeing the person again, then best bet is to not try it on
  • Options
    Forget it. I mean, guys who want sex are just after one thing, aren't they?
  • Options
    Forget it. I mean, guys who want sex are just after one thing, aren't they?

no but being pressured about it too soon is usually not a good sign.

congrats, it sounds like a sweet evening
  • Options
    Who said anything about being pressured? Of course that's not a good thing.

Fuck it, I'll toe the party line...

Great job Blonde Batman, it's great that he respected you so much that he didn't try to have sex with you, and I'm glad you had such a sweet evening. Maybe there's hope for the male race yet. And no, I don't think you're being naive at all. I mean, you're only 21, so we can't expect you to have figured this stuff all out.

Man, either I'm getting too old for this place, or everyone else is getting too young. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy bastard :grump:
  • Options
    Ignoring most of the above other than the OP.

I don't think it's a bad thing that he didn't try anything on, it sounds like you had a good evening together and he invited you to stay but continued with how things were rather than taking the agreement to stay as a sign you wanted to take things further.

There's nothing wrong with a guy who does, but equally there's nothing wrong with a guy who doesn't, and to me it wouldn't mean one was more interested than the other.l
  • Options
    It's no dirty dirty thing, if you had sex, but you are not the holy virgin mary for not doing it. Either way: who cares? If it feels fine, it's fine.
  • Options
    I think if youre not sure, and you actually care about seeing the person again, then best bet is to not try it on

Hold on a second.

He watches a movie with her, kisses and cuddles, offers her a place to stay and she accepts. Now that doesn't necessarily mean she wants sex but it does let him get away with at least trying it on, he only blows his chance if he keeps tryng after she says "no" and lets face it, we're all adults and we all know what the craic is. This isn't schoolboy schoolgirl sweetheart craic at all. Yeh, fair play to him for not trying but all this "he's a gentleman" shite is balls.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Hold on a second.

He watches a movie with her, kisses and cuddles, offers her a place to stay and she accepts. Now that doesn't necessarily mean she wants sex but it does let him get away with at least trying it on, he only blows his chance if he keeps tryng after she says "no" and lets face it, we're all adults and we all know what the craic is. This isn't schoolboy schoolgirl sweetheart craic at all. Yeh, fair play to him for not trying but all this "he's a gentleman" shite is balls.
    Is it gay if I say I think I love you?
  • Options
    god i wish i'd never bothered now. and particularly wish i'd chosen my words better. i would not have thought less off him if he had tried it on. and i dont think he was a gent just cos he didnt.

god some people take things so wrong on here.

all i wanted to know was....oh you know what? forget it. no point getting into an arguement over a simple question :(
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't think you should worry that you didn't take it further. It sounds like you both had a lovely evening.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katchika wrote: »
    It sounds like a really nice night, ignore what other people say, if YOU are happy, then relax.

:yes:
  • Options
    god i wish i'd never bothered now. and particularly wish i'd chosen my words better. i would not have thought less off him if he had tried it on. and i dont think he was a gent just cos he didnt.

god some people take things so wrong on here.

all i wanted to know was....oh you know what? forget it. no point getting into an arguement over a simple question :(

actually, the 3 posters above your post I am quoting here are understanding you and the situation pretty well...