Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

An Inconvenient Truth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay I'm not the most green person but I just watched Al's documentary and it freaked me out a bit, i think i knew most of the stuff but the way he pulled it all together it's like teotwawki :shocking: .....anyone else seen it?

Comments

• Options
    I've seen the first half, seemed a bit far fetched. Will watch the rest though.
  • Options
    Yeah... Tbh I think that it's too much... As in too many facts all crammed in.

Also, more solutions to green our lifestyles would be good, as well as encouraging activism (I guess he ain't in the right position to though).
  • Options
    I thought it was pretty simplistic to be honest, though enjoyable. I couldn't help feeling it was restricted into how much detail it could go into by forcing itself into the format of a lecture.
  • Options
    I think its a generally good 'heads up' for people on the effects of global warming etc although some of his points have been discredited. Well worth the watch though.
  • Options
    yeah i hadn't watched it until now because i am wary of politicians in general and wasn't sure what agenda he was trying to push, i read somewhere before that his ideas had been debunked but thought i should watch it for myself.....he could have gone into more detail but tbh there was so much content it would have been 6hrs+ (also could have cut out the autobiography which was only vaguely relevant), it was the bit where he started talking about how fast greenland's melting that scared me, i hope it's not as bad as he made out or we're really fucked lol. interesting point about all the diseases cropping up due to ecosystems being out of whack and warmer climates attracting various bugs etc, i hadn't thought about that before either.....
  • Options
    There's a good video on youtube about why we should do something about global warming using game theory. It doesn't matter whether we know for sure it's going to happen or not, we only have two choices:

make significant action against global warming
    no changes

If we do take significant action, when there is no need, we could face a global recession. If there is need, we save the planet.

If we don't and there is no need, everyone is happy. If we don't and is there is need, we're back in the stone ages.

It makes some basic assumptions but the logic is fairly sound. We don't know for sure what's going to happen in the future, but we can make sure we know whether we're going to be prepared for the worst or not.

Also: there is a good lecture on ted about 10 things that could end the world. Including Aliens :)

But as for An Inconvenient Truth I just had to be skeptical because he had massive predictions i.e. the world is going to end. I mean, he may be right, but I tend to take things doomsayers say with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    worth watching just so you can argue that the entire argument is flawed because it rules out the most fundamental mathematics of the impact of man made global warming.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    worth watching just so you can argue that the entire argument is flawed because it rules out the most fundamental mathematics of the impact of man made global warming.

eh

anyway the film itself it pretty rubbish, that's the problem when you put an entire topic in laymans terms using a powerpoint presentation :lol:
  • Options
    The whole thing would be better if he wasn't a hypopcrite
  • Options
    eh

anyway the film itself it pretty rubbish, that's the problem when you put an entire topic in laymans terms using a powerpoint presentation :lol:
    Maybe it's to do with the people he was trying to reach out to... ;)
  • Options
    eh

It was Ok... To be honest I don't think you can ever really put climate change science in to layman's terms very easily, it's so bloody complicated.

The thing was that it was a bit doom and gloom, I didn't find it empowering (in my view... I haven't seen it in like... six months so I don't remember that much) and people really need to be leaving the cinema thinking they can make a difference rather than seeking a bucket of sand to bury their heads in.

But then what can ya do eh?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Idon't think you can ever really put climate change science in to layman's terms very easily, it's so bloody complicated.
    Al Gore himself being a bit of a layman... he's a politician not a scientist.
    eh
    his whole argument is about man made global warming and steps mankind can take to help prevent a global climate crisis... the effect man kind has on climate change is negligible. for a basic gist watch "the global warming swindle" video as a counter argument - its on you tube, then compare the two :)
  • Options
    Al Gore himself being a bit of a layman... he's a politician not a scientist.
    Yes I know... But he's also had a very good education.

Most people on here have gone to university, so grasping concepts like climate change isn't so hard as say... Somebody who hasn't even gone on to further education. I don't mean that in a condescending way, but more as a criticism to an ethnocentric and primarily middle class movement where the language (I feel) is not accessible to everyone. Saying that, it is middle class white people who tend to do the most damage.

The problem with an Inconvenient Truth was that it was a shitload of information all at once. Saying that, it's a film and there's so much information on climate change.

Though I do have a short attention span, so maybe that's it (I learnt all my environmental stuff through reading and through my job).

I wasn't keen on some of the ways it was presented. I thin that doom mongering is all very well... But what about some concrete solutions? So far as I remember, wasn't it mostly him in front of some graphs?

I wanna see 11th Hour though, to compare it.

his whole argument is about man made global warming and steps mankind can take to help prevent a global climate crisis... the effect man kind has on climate change is negligible. for a basic gist watch "the global warming swindle" video as a counter argument - its on you tube, then compare the two :)
    Yes, but the Global Warming Swindle was very controversial and manipulated the scientists in it and also used dated statistics.

There's an interested film on 'Global Dimming' if anybody would like to watch it (I can find it for ya... PM me or say so on this thread).
  • Options

many of the people who appeared on that show wrote to the makers after it was shown for twisting their words

and ze research on it was old, and disproven on how much solar cycle affect the earth ie yes they affect it too but at the moment the changes are opposite to what this guy predicted ie theres been a lull in solar output yet warming increased still
  • Options
    The whole thing would be better if he wasn't a hypopcrite

:lol: i did think it was quite funny how he points out all the countries he's given seminars in, racked up quite a few airmiles didn't ya mr gore...he has definitely raised awareness though which is the main thing.
  • Options
    :lol: i did think it was quite funny how he points out all the countries he's given seminars in, racked up quite a few airmiles didn't ya mr gore...he has definitely raised awareness though which is the main thing.
    Well it's not like he was flying abroad to sit on a beach and drink beer was it.

Think about it... If for every seminar he does, two less people fly away on holiday then it's less shit going up in the air (let's hope more than that choose not to fly for leisure).

Sometimes people have to make sacrifices like that.

I don't know why people are always missing the point of the information to pick out imperfections of the person delivering it (Ok, there are lines you draw, but this is a different issue). :confused:

I think Bob Geldoff and Bono are quite hypocritical though (but then how much good did Make Poverty History do?).
  • Options
    Zzzzz..... *someone nudges Stargalaxy*

Huh, what? Oh, the film's over? Well, what a load of shit that was. At least what I saw of it was - drifted off somewhere in the middle. An Inconvenient Truth? I'd prefer if it was just called Bollocks. Where's the nearest member of staff? I want my money back. And what does a prat like Al Bore know about climate change? This is a man who owns a huge house with eight bedrooms, whose electricity bill last year was $30,000. He seriously thinks the public's gonna take lessons on "climate change" from him?! Do us a favour, Bore - get out of your limousine and get on your bike!
  • Options
    I don't know why people are always missing the point of the information to pick out imperfections of the person delivering it (Ok, there are lines you draw, but this is a different issue). :confused: .
    I do. They do it because they know the person is right but don't want to acknowledge it. And rather to raise their hand and admit they are wrong and are acting selfishly they try to derail the subject and divert attention from the issue itself.
  • Options
    Regardless of the argument going back on forth:

would you all concede it's entirely possible due to the chaos theory and the hundreds of random variables that we cannot say with 100% or even 95% certainty that global warming will or will not occur. We are worried it may occur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDsIFspVzfI

This is the best video out there really - it doesn't matter whether you believe it exists or not. It is a fair possibility that it could happen - many of the scientific establishments have put forward recommendations to take action - this should not be taken lightly. Some of the evidence strongly supports the idea of human affected global warming. So it could be considered a possible significant outcome.

Therefore: given the inherit uncertainty, should we not take serious efforts to prepare ourselves for the worst or try to prevent it? If it doesn't happen, oh dear, it's like the US Star Wars program. We didn't go to nuclear war but it didn't stop national governments spending billions and trillions on nuclear attack and defence weapons.

This is an equally significant threat but do to short termist politics and the reluctance to invest in insurance should the worst happen, we are facing this 'naked' I feel. And all we can do is hope it doesn't occur. When we have the means and power to at least have a damn good try at protecting our future we're reckless in not doing so.

Since the risk is significant, we don't have to know whether it is going to happen or not. I wouldn't ride my motorcycle without a good helmet, even if it costs £200. I've never had a crash bashing my head but I wouldn't risk my head, even if £200 is a lot of money.

I really like this idea because it makes it so clear and straightforward. There is no longer controversy over whether it will or won't happen, using random sources of evidence that contradicts something that comes out next week - it's about whether we will insure that if is is going to happen we won't be seriously affected.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I do. They do it because they know the person is right but don't want to acknowledge it. And rather to raise their hand and admit they are wrong and are acting selfishly they try to derail the subject and divert attention from the issue itself.
    Oh, here we go again. So, Al Gore makes a film about climate change and how we should all be using the earth's resources more efficiently, (a noble aim that I agree with, I should add) yet his own electricity bill reaches $30k. Are you seriously saying we should ignore this blatant hypocrisy?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Oh, here we go again. So, Al Gore makes a film about climate change and how we should all be using the earth's resources more efficiently, (a noble aim that I agree with, I should add) yet his own electricity bill reaches $30k. Are you seriously saying we should ignore this blatant hypocrisy?

Yes, if he's right in his assertions and no, if he's not.
  • Options
    It's either a film by a failed politician filled with factual innaccaracies or the broad truth presented by a skilled communicator.

You pay your money and you take your choice
  • Options
    Yes, if he's right in his assertions and no, if he's not.
    Perhaps I'm picking on Al Gore unfairly here. He's not the first to say one thing yet do the opposite, after all.
  • Options
    No you shouldn't ignore it, but that he is a hypocrite doesn't have any bearing in the importance or validity of the issue.

Anyone who says 'well he's not leading by example so he must be wrong/there is no point in heeding his warnings' is skirting the issue, and know they are.
  • Options
    No you shouldn't ignore it, but that he is a hypocrite doesn't have any bearing in the importance or validity of the issue.

Anyone who says 'well he's not leading by example so he must be wrong/there is no point in heeding his warnings' is skirting the issue, and know they are.

:yes:

He's bringing the issue of climate change across America too. People are actually LISTENING for once.

I often wonder too... How politically active and green living the people who criticise him are. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    No you shouldn't ignore it, but that he is a hypocrite doesn't have any bearing in the importance or validity of the issue. Anyone who says 'well he's not leading by example so he must be wrong/there is no point in heeding his warnings' is skirting the issue, and know they are.
    Well, it's a bit difficult to take a warning particularly seriously when the person who provides that warning doesn't seem to heed it themselves. I don't expect him to be whiter than white, but questions are going to be asked.
  • Options
    Well, it's a bit difficult to take a warning particularly seriously when the person who provides that warning doesn't seem to heed it themselves. I don't expect him to be whiter than white, but questions are going to be asked.

And if he was whiter than white, would you listen to him? Or do you just disagree anyway and so are looking for any excuse to discredit him? In my experience, it's only ever the people who disagree with what he is saying in the first place that seem to point this out.

Would the Catholic church be hypocritical to speak out against the killing of people for being homosexual, for example? In my view, yes they would. But should everyone support them in any campaign to stop it, if they decided to start one? Yes they should. I question Al Gore as a spokesman for PR reasons, but that doesn't mean that his message isn't a good one. And if you base your ethical decisions on the hypocracy or otherwise of the person delivering the message, then you're a fool who's not capable of thinking for themselves. After all, Osama bin Laden wants Guantanamo Bay closed down. Maybe we should all be against that too?
  • Options
    He's bringing the issue of climate change across America too. People are actually LISTENING for once.

I don't think people actually are listening to him really. Not at any normal level of society anyway.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I don't think people actually are listening to him really. Not at any normal level of society anyway.

What do you mean?
  • Options
    What do you mean?

I could bet my life on it right now this moment that none of my mates back home even know who Al Gore is nevermind what he stands for. The whole green issue and doing something for the environment is still a Middle Class preserve imo.