Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Parents with children in Wetherspoons only allowed two drinks

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Ah yes, they extend the number of hours that pubs can open, they extend the opening hours of numerous storesn that sell the stuff, and they do nothing about the bizarre practice amongst supermarkets of selling alcohol as a "loss leader".

I thought you were a conservative? You wouldn't be advocating the nanny state interfering with the running of a private business would you? ;)

On the opening hours, I can't say that I've noticed much of a difference in terms of drinking habits (though I've noticed the clubs are less crowded - probably because less people are going rather than people spacing it out more), but I have noticed that you don't end up with hundreds of people on the streets at kicking out time, getting into fights over taxis or girlfriends or whatever. It is much better to just be able to decide when you want to go home.
  • Options
    The main reason why the extended licensing hours were brought in was to help cut violence, which has worked. Every pub closes at a different time now so you don't have the situation of 10,000 people all trying to get into the same taxi at 3am. Things are a lot better now.

I have no problem with extended licensing hours, I think it was ridiculous that you had to go home at 11pm because that's when the Government said so.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    France have a very relaxed drinking culture with regards to kids drinking wine with meals etc.

not in my experience tbh. Kids are expected to drink water with meals. Maybe its different in the south?
  • Options
    I thought you were a conservative? You wouldn't be advocating the nanny state interfering with the running of a private business would you? ;)
    Indeed not. But I suspect that wouldn't stop New Labour doing it anyway.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Indeed not. But I suspect that wouldn't stop New Labour doing it anyway.

Or the tories for that matter to be fair.
  • Options
    I like most of the Wetherspoons I've been to in London.

The newer ones are really nice and there's nothing that comes close in terms of price for food and drink.

When we last went we were ordering cocktails by the jug for about £5 - go into a typical London bar and you could easily pay £17 for a jug.

Because we were ordering jugs and sharing our drinks there was a lot more of a community feel to the night.

My only real complaint would be the price of the healthiest meals like salads are more then the burgers and are not available on the sharing offers.

Right now they have an offer for a meal and a drink for £3.49p - it doesn't get much cheaper then that and I like the fact the drink can be non alcoholic as well.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Or the tories for that matter to be fair.
    True. Currently, the UK's chances of having a government that doesn't interfere in everything is zero.
  • Options
    Thank fuck for that I should think.