Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Am I depressed or am I just being stupid?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya

This is something i have been thinking about for a little while now so thought i would post it on here to see if anyone can offer me any advice or is going throught the same thing... its quite hard to explain so sorry if it don't all make sence. just so you know i'm a 21 year old female.

i have only been feeling like this the past 3 or 4 months, my emontions r all over the place, i cry all the time, im even crying now, i feel so stupid, i have to go 2 the toilet at work to hide my tears sometimes and i wish i could just be normal again.

i have become so sad and needy recently, also stressy and moody, i don't know why but i do know that my boyfriend has alot to do with it, we are in a long distance realationship and i am finding things hard, if he don't txt or call me when i think he should then i get really upset and just lock myself in my bedroom and cry and bury my head in the pillow. sometimes i just feel like my whole world is crashing down around me and i don't have a clue what to do how to stop it.... i hate my job, my boyfriend treats me like shit and i'm getting fed up with my mates.

at the weekend i go out and i make sure i get as smashed out of my face as i can, iv got in 2 trouble like getting arrested and getting into fights but that does not happen often, i still have to get smashed though, i dont know why.

i wind myself up over little things and get stressy with the people around me when it is not their fault, i don't know why i am acting like this and i don't know what to do. i wish i could just remain calm and cool when things do go my way (ie my boyfriend has not txt me back or we have had an arguement) but all i end up doing is sobbing on my bed.

i have thought about going to the doctors about this but i think i would sound totaly stupid and would get all embarssed and he might think i'm doing it for attention.

am i just being a bit of an idiot who needs to get a grip (i wish i could i dont know how) or do u think i actually have something wrong with me??

thanks xxx

Comments

• Options
    If your boyfriend treats you like shit then why are you still with him?

I think it's a viscious circle, the more he annoys you the more you need comfort from those you love. But him being so far away then the more you feel rejected and lonely, which can result in you getting too pissed, getting into trouble and being an emotional wreck. I'd consider looking very closely at the validity and future of this relationship if I was you.
  • Options
    Most long exposure to stressfull situations can make you feel really ruff, both physically and mentally.

If you think it is a result of your relationship, perhaps its time to end it before you start feeling worse.
  • Options
    I would definitely go to the doctor.

Perhaps there's an imbalance of chemicals in your brain causing these emotional issues. Modern drugs can help correct this balance.
  • Options
    i have thought about splitting up with him but the simple answer is i love him and i would not be able to cope if we split, espically if this problem can be sorted out some other way as i never used to be like this.

i'm waaaaay to embarassed to go to the doctor, i wouldnt have a clue what to say and it would be embarasing :(
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey there,
    It sounds like your situation is really getting you down and the symptoms you describe - crying often, feeling low about different areas of your life, and drinking a lot do sound like they could be related to depression.

You could take a look at our factsheet on understanding depression to see whether or not you recognise the signs and feelings.

If you do decide that it's likely you are depressed, then I would agree with others that your best bet would be to go and visit your GP as they should be able to refer you to other more appropriate services and talk to you about different treatments. I absolutely understand that this can be embarrassing, but there's no need for you to tell them everything you have said in this thread - you can just tell them about your feelings and some of the things that have been getting you down. Remember that GPs talk about these kinds of issues all the time and they should be sympathetic.

If you really don't feel ready to visit a GP - you could get in touch with Samaritans to go through your feelings with a trained listener. You can contact them via phone or email jo@samaritans.org or write a letter.

As to your boyfriend - well maybe you could tell us a bit more about that side of things? It sounds horrible that he treats you 'like shit' but then the fact that you don't feel you could be without him suggests it's not all bad. However, there is a danger sometimes that people are so afraid of being single that they can't imagine a life outside of a relationship whether it is a happy one or not.

Take Care x
  • Options
    ±Lover± wrote: »

i have thought about going to the doctors about this but i think i would sound totaly stupid and would get all embarssed and he might think i'm doing it for attention.

No, they won't.

you made a very vital step already: You admitted to yourself and others that you've got a problem.

second: I am not very experienced with that thing, but it is really advisable to go see a shrink, just to get to know more about that sort of stuff.

My friend was having a lot of therapy sessions and it seriously helped him.

He described it to me as that (somehow.. paraphrased): both headache and depression are issues with something not alright inside your body. While a headache occurs for example when your veins are too narrow in your head, a depression is a lack or a surplus of for example neurotransmitter in your nervous system.

a doctor doesn't describe you what a headache is, because even if you do know about it's origin, it won't go away. he will give you a pill.
    Same with depression. You will start to take medicine to bring your body back to normal conditions and THEN you will sort your problems out, because you won't start sobbing, being aggressive or provocative etc while thinking or talking about it.

some people will probably call me stupid for that, but yea, in quintessence: go see professional help.
  • Options
    hiya

thankyou for all your comments. i have split up with my boyfriend now as i have found out he has been lying to me and cheating on me. just what i need!!!

anyway, i know the next few weeks are going to be very tough for me and i still love him 2 bits but can't be with someone who lies and cheats. but things r gunna be worse before they get better... i'm just gunna have to ride this out and be strong.

i'm hoping that once iv got through tis break up i wont have the stress of having a boyfriend and things will hopefully get better for me, thanks again 4 all your comments xxx
  • Options
    hiya

thankyou for all your comments. i have split up with my boyfriend now as i have found out he has been lying to me and cheating on me. just what i need!!!

a step in the right direction... Keep being busy busy busy, it helps getting over it faaaar easier.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    hiya

Really sorry to hear that as being cheated on is truly horrible :( But it sounds like you have a really positive attitude and it's great to hear you can just focus on yourself now :)