Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tesco cleaner suspended over 20p

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    20p on top of a till - not cashed and put inside the till, could very likely not even belong to Tesco anyway. It could easily have been money dropped by a customer... (In which case it shouldn't go in the till and should be put in a charity box).

Should then the member of staff responsible for cashing up that till not then be disciplined for not doing their job properly?
  • Options
    If Tesco are that desperate for 20p, then I'll give it to them. Lord only knows I've got enough 1p and 2p coins in my wallet at the moment. As for this story, I simply think that the manager in question is taking the slogan "every little helps" a bit too literally.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And yet, why do I suspect that if the workers of one of those supermarkets went on strike some people here would be queuing up to demand they get sacked immediately?
    A reference to me, I take it? Erm... I think that anyone who went on strike over this would have to be barmy. I ask you this. If supermarkets are as appalling to work for as some of you make out why do so many people work for them? Tesco is the largest private sector employer in the UK, after all. Why would all these people want to work for a company that's apparently so rubbish?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Tesco is the largest private sector employer in the UK, after all. Why would all these people want to work for a company that's apparently so rubbish?

Because people have bills to pay.

Supermarkets are normally the most flexible of employers in regard to hours so its why you get Teenagers, Mums, Single parents and Old people were there.

I'm sure nobody would work there if they didnt have bills to pay.
  • Options
    A reference to me, I take it? Erm... I think that anyone who went on strike over this would have to be barmy. I ask you this. If supermarkets are as appalling to work for as some of you make out why do so many people work for them? Tesco is the largest private sector employer in the UK, after all. Why would all these people want to work for a company that's apparently so rubbish?
    What JsT said.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Because people have bills to pay.

Supermarkets are normally the most flexible of employers in regard to hours so its why you get Teenagers, Mums, Single parents and Old people were there.

I'm sure nobody would work there if they didnt have bills to pay.

Exactly, i work in one of them because they were flexible and could give me the hours i wanted to suit around childcare. I wouldnt work for them out of choice as such, my choices are very limited at this time in my life.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Working in a supermarket wouldn't be my first choice of job (the job I have now probably wouldn't be my first choice either), but its a damn sight better than NO job

(Depending on individual circumstances) but if someone wouldn't be much worse off on benefits than they would be working at a supermarket I wouldn't blame them for staying at home...

Shit pay, crap inflexible holiday. Impossibility of two consecutive days off a week, the norm now seems to be one day off in the week + one day at the weekend for full timers. And Asda/Tesco don't even have sick pay until after the first 3 days... Bank holidays/Sundays don't always offer time and a half/double to new staff now... Anybody who 'chooses' and 'enjoys' supermarket work is a pretty rare individual and probably quite a sad person.
  • Options
    And Asda/Tesco don't even have sick pay until after the first 3 days...
    Thats employment/sickness law. They dont legally dont have to pay you for the first three days off, but many employers do.

The vast majority of people work in supermarkets for the reasons JST said. My brother worked at Tescos in his gap year and during his uni holidays, purely because it was local and paid him enough.
  • Options
    Erm... I think that anyone who went on strike over this would have to be barmy. I ask you this. If supermarkets are as appalling to work for as some of you make out why do so many people work for them?

To be fair i wouldnt think of people striking over this as barmy, because someone losing their job over a very dubious amount of money ie 20p, instant dismisall, has been treated poorly

are you trying to say that people should have striked only if the cleaner had taken £200?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Funny that, it sounds alot like working for an airline. In fact the same could be said for anyone choosing and enjoying working for one - but then there's people who queue to get an interview with one. It's horses for courses and I find it hard to believe that the majority of people who do work in a supermarket loathe and detest it to the extent that you suggest

Almost similar for the railways I suppose. Early and late starts, long shifts, unsociable hours, management interference, inflexible holidays, no extra for Sundays and most bank holidays. Still you get 500 applications for each single driver application.

Still the wages make up for it, £18k for a starter guard and £35k for a driver.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    More than anything it confirms my opinion of managers in retail. They all seem to be petty arseholes.

:yes: agree with you there.