Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tesco cleaner suspended over 20p

Story.

A cleaner at a Tesco store in Manchester has been suspended without pay over Christmas because he picked a 20p coin up off a till when he was cleaning it. The evil mastermind thief then went and put it in a charity box.

Disgraceful. I think he should be jailed :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, the manager who decided to do that should be instantly dismissed for gross stupidity. It's not as if Tesco (annual profit £9bn) are going to miss it.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :rolleyes:
    WTF???

maybe the manager had gone mad with power!
  • Options
    He was probably a twat who they just wanted an excuse to sack.
  • Options
    And I thought CCTV was for 'customer safety' - not spying on staff.

Always trying to outdo Tesco... Asda sacked somebody over 2p.

Meanwhile Waitrose sacked someone over six grapes... (The bitch responsible is now a manager at the store I used to work at and worked at over Xmas).

Whilst the major supermarkets are making billions their staff are suffering. And it's no surprise that supermarkets which will happily sack somebody over a few pence generally treat their staff like shit.

And given the uselessness of USDAW, the main union supermarket workers belong to it's hardly surprising that the big supermarkets get away with what they do... Tesco scrapped sick pay for the first three days - with USDAW's support!! Incredible.
  • Options
    And yet, why do I suspect that if the workers of one of those supermarkets went on strike some people here would be queuing up to demand they get sacked immediately?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Of course if all Supermarkets were nationalised and rationing introduced this just wouldn't happen!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And yet, why do I suspect that if the workers of one of those supermarkets went on strike some people here would be queuing up to demand they get sacked immediately?

Well I know I wouldn't. But I'm not sure if it will happen anyway, USDAW don't have any teeth - although I think the GMB represent some supermarket workers too.

And a lot of supermarket workers are on low incomes and can't really afford to strike... I'd guess Eastern European workers and student part timers are less likely to strike too...

But yeah, people would complain at not being able to get their orange juice, bacon and eggs... but tough luck. Supermarkets are open ridiculous hours almost every day of the year; all in all tbh retail is shit, it's hard work and poor pay... Maybe if shop workers (who hardly ever strike) did follow the example of pilots, train drivers, cabin crew, etc in occasionally standing up for themselves they wouldn't get such a raw deal.
  • Options
    The monetary value of the examples cited makes the punishment seem punitive but part of me thinks 'break the rules, lose your job.'
  • Options
    Reminds of a guy I know, who ate a doughnut whilst on shift in Morrisons cafe, picked it up off the shelf and wandered around the cafe cleaning tables, but eating the cake at the same time. Was pretty funny, but needless to say, he was sacked. His excuse was that he was hungry and there was a potential risk of fainting!

But yeah, that does seem mad.
  • Options
    If this cleaner put the 20p in the charity box, why didn't the manager just take it back out and put it in the till if he was that worried about it?

Honestly, some people....
  • Options
    You can't take money out of a charity box, especially not some random charity box completely unconnected with the store. Who knows whether that's what the bloke really did? The theft was caught on camera, the charity box outside the store presumably not.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    You can't take money out of a charity box, especially not some random charity box completely unconnected with the store. Who knows whether that's what the bloke really did? The theft was caught on camera, the charity box outside the store presumably not.

Oh, I thought he was seen on camera putting the money in the box. Still, he could have just put 20p of his own back into the till, (the cleaner I mean). Sacking somebody over something so trivial is just stupid.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know if the 20p even belonged to the supermarket, I mean it was on top of the til not in it.
  • Options

That would be my guess as well...
  • Options

Well it's not an acceptable excuse, no reasonable person can surely think this is grounds for dismissal. And equally the manager could be just being a twat - it seems pretty unfair to make assumptions about this man's character when the facts aren't known.
  • Options
    I'm just saying that people don't tend to just sack perfectly good workers because they make one mistake (if you could call this a mistake). When someone gets sacked for something that is technically against their contract, it's usually because someone's been looking for any excuse they can find to sack them and get away with it.
  • Options
    that is pathetic :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Whatever - no reasonable person can say with a straight face that this is grounds for dismissal.

And anyway what an absurd logic; if the bloke deserves to lose his job this stunt is hardly a sensible move - it's going to inspire sympathy for him and disgust for management...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Story.

A cleaner at a Tesco store in Manchester has been suspended without pay over Christmas because he picked a 20p coin up off a till when he was cleaning it. The evil mastermind thief then went and put it in a charity box.

Disgraceful. I think he should be jailed :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, the manager who decided to do that should be instantly dismissed for gross stupidity. It's not as if Tesco (annual profit £9bn) are going to miss it.

It's Tesco's job, so they have every right to hire and fire whomever they want.
  • Options
    Tesco are a bunch of robbing twats anyway.
  • Options
    Welcome to Great Britain.
  • Options
    kiddranc wrote: »

Haven't you ever heard of worker's rights?

Would you not be pissed off if this happened to you?

Provided you're old enough to work/have worked.
  • Options
    kiddranc wrote: »

No, they don't. There is such a thing as Employment Law. Employers don't have an absolute right to hire and fire on a whim.
  • Options
    There is no such thing as workers' rights in monocrat's book, right? :D
  • Options
    a few summers ago, the one that was ridiculously hot, we were at Sainsburys in Selly Oak in Birmingham. Got talking to a girl behind the counter who said that they weren't allowed to have water bottles on the tills, and had to ask for cover to go and take a drink break (which was of course largely impossible during peek times on minimal staffing). She said that one of the staff had actually feinted at work.

So me and the missus put this to a manager, who just nodded and said; 'I'm not prepared to comment on store policy'. So we said we weren't prepared to shop there and fucked off. Told a couple of others who did the same thing.

Two weeks later, we heard that the policy had been changed. Dunno if it was us that did it, but I'd encourage anyone to support staff in this way if they feel able.
  • Options
    Like tell the managers we won't shop in their store until it's ok for their staff to nick money?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Like tell the managers we won't shop in their store until it's ok for their staff to nick money?

That's not really fair. He picked up 20p that didn't seem to belong to anybody and put it in the charity box. Its not like he robbed the till takings.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    JsT wrote: »
    Of course if all Supermarkets were nationalised and rationing introduced this just wouldn't happen!!! :rolleyes:

Good plan that man.

Altough we don't need rationing, as the freemarket lets us import cheap foreign meat.

Mmm, meat.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Russian dogmeat sandwiches anyone? :p
  • Options
    20p on top of a till - not cashed and put inside the till, could very likely not even belong to Tesco anyway. It could easily have been money dropped by a customer... (In which case it shouldn't go in the till and should be put in a charity box).
  • Options
    More than anything it confirms my opinion of managers in retail. They all seem to be petty arseholes.