Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

police officer dies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
to any who argue (and there have been a fair few recently) that police work is not dangerous. another pointless death in the line of duty.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7160944.stm

Comments

• Options
    otter wrote: »
    to any who argue (and there have been a fair few recently) that police work is not dangerous.

Like who? Links please. I want to see who could be stupid enough to say that ...
  • Options
    Yes police work is dangerous, that's why they deserve a decent pay.

Just as firemen's work is also dangerous, as we were tragically reminded a few months ago, and why they deserved a better pay.

Many jobs are dangerous, and anyone killed at work, be at a building site or attending a 999 call is a tragedy.
  • Options
    I have no idea where you'd find the statistics but I doubt very much Police work in the UK is that dangerous actually.

I'm sure a lot more workers on building sites are killed each year then Police on the job.

According to this website Police is no where near the top

http://money.uk.msn.com/insurance/life-insurance-guide/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4761054

The highest-risk jobs

Steeplejack/scaffolder

Demolition, bomb disposal or mine clearance expert
    Pilot
    Diver
    Oil or gas rigger
    Deep-sea fisherman/trawlerman
    Soldier/ security guard in a war zone
    Professional racing car/motorbike riders or powerboat racer
  • Options
    I know. It's like posting a story about someone shot in an armed robbery to make the point that working in retail is a dangerous job. It's the exception rather than the norm, and is in no way one of the most dangerous jobs around. Maybe we should go through the names of the soldiers that've died in Iraq on lower wages than a police officer if we want to talk about danger money?
  • Options
    rofl, way to go otter.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I know. It's like posting a story about someone shot in an armed robbery to make the point that working in retail is a dangerous job. It's the exception rather than the norm, and is in no way one of the most dangerous jobs around. Maybe we should go through the names of the soldiers that've died in Iraq on lower wages than a police officer if we want to talk about danger money?

Word.

Occupations more dangerous than being a police officer in the US. Probably even safer to be a poilce officer here.

Number of deaths per 100,000 employed

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics,

Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries, 2000

Timber cutting 122.1

Fishermen 108.3

Airplane pilots 100.8

Farmers 33.0

Miners 30.0

Construction laborers 28.3

Truck drivers 27.6

Groundskeepers 14.9

Laborers (non-construction) 13.2

Ranchers 13.0

Bus drivers 12.9

Police and detectives 12.1

National average: 4.3
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    He actually died from Heart disease.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

Timber cutting 122.1

See.. Didn't I do a thread ages ago about Killer Trees ... loads of people get killed by Trees ... either them falling over, driving into them or things falling from the branches ..

tree-killer.jpg
  • Options
    I did wonder how they could come out with a comment like this...
    Events such as this highlight the dangers that our police officers face every day when protecting the public.

...when according to the article the cause of death hadn't been established yet. But like I said in the other thread, people like to represent the police and fire services as far more dangerous than they actually are. They're dangerous jobs, but not as dangerous as a lot of others.
  • Options
    I did wonder how they could come out with a comment like this...

...when according to the article the cause of death hadn't been established yet. But like I said in the other thread, people like to represent the police and fire services as far more dangerous than they actually are. They're dangerous jobs, but not as dangerous as a lot of others.

Its called not letting the facts get in the way of a good story...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Like who? Links please. I want to see who could be stupid enough to say that ...

:rolleyes: That was me and I'm NOT stupid. Or is being at risk of AIDs, HIV, Hep B & C not 'dangerous'?
    See.. Didn't I do a thread ages ago about Killer Trees ... loads of people get killed by Trees ... either them falling over, driving into them or things falling from the branches ..

There have been various stories where I live (Plymouth) about people being killed by trees.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    :rolleyes: That was me and I'm NOT stupid. Or is being at risk of AIDs, HIV, Hep B & C not 'dangerous'?

What is that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    :rolleyes: That was me

So did you state categorically that police work was not dangerous?
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I have no idea where you'd find the statistics but I doubt very much Police work in the UK is that dangerous actually.

I'm sure a lot more workers on building sites are killed each year then Police on the job.

According to this website Police is no where near the top

http://money.uk.msn.com/insurance/life-insurance-guide/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4761054

The highest-risk jobs

Steeplejack/scaffolder

Demolition, bomb disposal or mine clearance expert
    Pilot
    Diver
    Oil or gas rigger
    Deep-sea fisherman/trawlerman
    Soldier/ security guard in a war zone
    Professional racing car/motorbike riders or powerboat racer

Yeah, but if you actually read some of the comments underneath each heading they pretty much say that it's dependant on lots of factors, and not just based on the numbers of accidents/fatalities. How many British race car drivers have died in the last 50 years? It's not going to be as many as cops or firemen , they have high insurance premiums because if they have an accident it's going to cost a lot more to cover loss of earnings e.t.c.
  • Options
    Okay, at the bottom of this article is a table of the number of fatalities per 100,000 workers, and still no police.
  • Options
    I don't think that fatalities are neccessarily the sole indicator of a job's dangerousness(?). Frequent assaults can place a job under the 'dangerous' category too. Hence, policework is dangerous.

"dangerous
    adj 1: involving or causing danger or risk; liable to hurt or harm;"
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think that fatalities are neccessarily the sole indicator of a job's dangerousness(?).
    Frequent assaults can place a job under the 'dangerous' category too. Hence, policework is dangerous.

"dangerous

Policework has an element of risk, I wouldn't say it's dangerous and certainly not a good enough point to use in an argument for a payrise - which is where this deabte started.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't think that fatalities are neccessarily the sole indicator of a job's dangerousness(?). Frequent assaults can place a job under the 'dangerous' category too. Hence, policework is dangerous.

"dangerous

Fine, rates of injuries and illness per 100 workers in the USA. It's not one of the most dangerous jobs whichever way you cut it. It is more dangerous than most jobs, sure. But in my opinion, the supposed danger isn't enough to justify better pay that teachers or nurses who have trained at their own expense for 3, 4 or 5 years at a time before being entitled to the basic rate of pay, which was one of the points being made in the other thread.

But if fatalities aren't an indicator of the dangerousness of a job, then why not complain at a thread that uses the death of a single officer, doing something that is not proven to have contributed to his death, to make the claim that being a police officer is a dangerous job? Or the met representitive that claimed that it is an indicator of the threats faced by police officers every day? None of them can back those claims up when they're asked to.
  • Options
    The guy died of natural causes anyway.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    He actually died from Heart disease.

What he said.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    The guy died of natural causes anyway.

yeah. but at the time of me making the post that wasn't apparent - least not from the bbc which is where i got the source from. but fair point made.