Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I like him already

New Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg has answered "no" when asked on BBC radio if he believed in God.

The rapid-fire question and answer format on 5 Live meant the 40-year-old did not have the chance to elaborate.

[...] Asked whether he had ever taken illegal drugs, he replied: "I'm going to cast a veil over that. It's the one thing I agree with David Cameron on. I think politicians are entitled to a private life before they go into politics."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7151346.stm

So a drug-taking atheist. A man after my own heart :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He will never be Prime Minister.

You will never see an atheist as PM.
  • Options
    If he was American his chances of being elected would be in tatters if he said that. Thankfully this society is less God fearing.
  • Options

That's a good point for a discussion actually. They way I see it there is actually a case for having agnostics/atheists only as Heads of State. I bet an awful lot of trouble would be spared around the world.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I bet an awful lot of trouble would be spared around the world.

In Liberal Democracies, it's not an issue. Religion doesn't shape policy decisions or enact laws.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yet it is sad that the chances of somebody who does not happen to believe in mystical deities becoming PM are probably nil. It shouldn't be like that.

For what is worth, it is also sad that a Catholic, or I suspect anyone not member of the CoE wouldn't have a chance in hell of being PM either.
  • Options
    Atheism is still a form of religion IMHO :p

:lol:

We atheists are a multi-theistic lot. Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris are our Gods; Darwin's Origin of the Species our bible.
  • Options
    Yet it is sad that the chances of somebody who does not happen to believe in mystical deities becoming PM are probably nil. It shouldn't be like that.

For what is worth, it is also sad that a Catholic, or I suspect anyone not member of the CoE wouldn't have a chance in hell of being PM either.

You really think so, less than 5% of the Brititish population go to mass each week. You really think the other 95% actually give a fuck who their leaders believe in?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    You really think so, less than 5% of the Brititish population go to mass each week. You really think the other 95% actually give a fuck who their leaders believe in?

I give a fuck what my leaders believe in and i don't go to mass each week.

You're telling me if Gordon Brown outed himself as a Scientologist next week you wouldn't be even a little bit concerned?

The idea that a leader thinks they're ultimately culpable to a celestial dictator, and not the public, does also concern me.
  • Options
    I think Nick Clegg will do quite well. Keep answering question openly and honestly (even if you do piss off some people) and you have my vote.

:thumb:
  • Options

Benjamin Disraeli has been there, done that. England's first and only Jewish prime minister. :p
  • Options

I dunno though ... traditional Labour supporters are probably eyeing up the Lib Dems as a real alternative to the current lot.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Benjamin Disraeli has been there, done that. England's first and only Jewish prime minister. :p

he was ethnically Jewish, religously his father had converted to Anglicanism

Michael Howard was religously and ethnically Jewish
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7151346.stm

So a drug-taking atheist. A man after my own heart :D

I love the way that he's being pretty honest, but he's still acutely aware of the acceptable views you need to purport to hold.

Do you believe in God: "N.. eerrr No"

Have you taken drugs: "I'm going to cast a veil over that"

I'd have ten time the respect for someone who came straight out and said "I don't believe in fairy tales and i owned a bong while at uni". :D
  • Options
    I give a fuck what my leaders believe in and i don't go to mass each week.

You're telling me if Gordon Brown outed himself as a Scientologist next week you wouldn't be even a little bit concerned?

The idea that a leader thinks they're ultimately culpable to a celestial dictator, and not the public, does also concern me.

I'm sure they would, but religion has never been at the forefront of British politics whereas it would be in America. British politicians tend to keep their religion personal and don't let it inflience their decision making. Of course there are exceptions.
  • Options
    Abe Lincoln was an athiest wasn't he? Certainly wasn't a christian.

I don't think religion has played a big part at all in politics until the Billy Graham / Reagan situation which has continued to distort the political climate since then.

it's really a pretty new element to politics isn't it?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

He wasn't an atheist.
    I don't think religion has played a big part at all in politics until the Billy Graham / Reagan situation which has continued to distort the political climate since then.

Not really new per se, it's always been around. They've just used it as a mantle to garner support for their social conservative ideals.
  • Options
    Gladstone will be turning in his grave.
  • Options

I would certainly be very worried if the leader of my country claimed, as the chimp did in the US, that God talks to him and tells him to attack other countries :D
  • Options
    Well he did say he prayed to god about the decision to go to war, didn't old Tony? I seem to remember a lot of shock and outrage when he said it...
  • Options
    But that wasn't the policy shaper.

"Removing the tyrant" was. Or to get the oil if you have any common sense.
  • Options
    Well he did say he prayed to god about the decision to go to war, didn't old Tony? I seem to remember a lot of shock and outrage when he said it...

Dubya stated that God told him to do it. Blair said he was ultimately answerable to God.

These were at one point the two main leaders of the free world. Scary really.
  • Options

Probably not an atheist, but certainly not a conventional Christian. He certainly quoted and read the Bible, and attended Prestbyterian services (albeit he didn't belong to the Church). I think he is best described as a non-denominational Christian

www.adherents.com/people/pl/Abraham_Lincoln.html
  • Options
    ha! Just read the same link earlier - I do indeed stand corrected :)
  • Options
    Hmm, don't get too excited Aladdin, he also said this:
    I have enormous respect for people who have religious faith, I'm married to a Catholic and am committed to bringing my children up as Catholics.

I couldn't care less about his views on god tbh. I would sooner support a Christian secularist, than an atheist who supports state-funded religious endevours. Though the above is probably just an example of trying to kiss the arse of every potential voter tbh.
  • Options
    Dubya stated that God told him to do it. Blair said he was ultimately answerable to God.

These were at one point the two main leaders of the free world. Scary really.
    Precisely. Which makes all the warnings about 'mad mullahs' in charge of Iran even the more risible. There is only one set of leaders here who have atacked other nations at least partially on the basis that they think their God wanted them to.
  • Options
    Nick Clegg... the less said, the better. Bring back Charles Kennedy. At least people didn't mistake him for Call Me Dave.
  • Options
    We should just bring back Tony Blair, and have three identical candidates.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I dunno though ... traditional Labour supporters are probably eyeing up the Lib Dems as a real alternative to the current lot.

Probably!!! A lot of us have been doing so for a while now and more so since the Iraq war started.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but this weeks Doonesbury strip is so apt for this thread :lol:http://www.doonesbury.com/