Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I like him already

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    That's a good point for a discussion actually. They way I see it there is actually a case for having agnostics/atheists only as Heads of State. I bet an awful lot of trouble would be spared around the world.

Apols for the delay but this thought only occured to me last night

Atheist Heads of State:

Mao
    Stalin
    Hitler
    Pol Pot

:chin:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Apols for the delay but this thought only occured to me last night

Atheist Heads of State:

Mao
    Stalin
    Hitler
    Pol Pot

:chin:

Hitler wasn't an atheist.
  • Options
    Hitler wasn't an atheist.

What religion did he follow?
  • Options
    Catholicism I believe.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Catholicism I believe.

He was born a Catholic, but he didn't follow it. His religion was a mish-mash of different elements, and the Christianity was more cultural than spirutal
  • Options
    wiki on Hitler & Christianity 'Rather, Hitler advocated a "Positive Christianity",[87] a belief system purged from what he objected to in traditional Christianity, and which reinvented Jesus as a fighter against the Jews.'

That is not Christianity. Catholic or otherwise, Hitler invented and adhered to his own beliefs.
  • Options
    wiki on Hitler & Christianity 'Rather, Hitler advocated a "Positive Christianity",[87] a belief system purged from what he objected to in traditional Christianity, and which reinvented Jesus as a fighter against the Jews.'

That is not Christianity. Catholic or otherwise, Hitler invented and adhered to his own beliefs.

He made his own religion, but which theist doesn't? Either way: Hitler wasn't an atheist.
  • Options
    Thats a belief not a religion. Atheists have beliefs just as most people do.
  • Options
    Thats a belief not a religion. Atheists have beliefs just as most people do.

He was religious. He just bastardised his Catholicism. As all theists do.

He subscribed to all the Jesus and God mumbo-jumbo, but his Jesus, according to your reference, was a warrior Jesus. The Nazis even had "God Mit Uns" on their belt buckles.
  • Options
    We could argue all day but I'm shooting off soon. My idea of religious belief is someone who adheres to their chosen doctrine in actions not words. I could wear pro-Vegan T-shirts and preach that message but living on meat-heavy diet would negate it.

The Nazis were the opposite of everything Jesus taught, IMO.

tbc
  • Options
    Well the whole popular support of anti-semitism was something that came from the Catholic church, not Nazism originally. Hitler just took existing anti-semitism to new levels.
  • Options
    Well the whole popular support of anti-semitism was something that came from the Catholic church, not Nazism originally. Hitler just took existing anti-semitism to new levels.

But German anti-semitism was based on blood, not religion.

i certainly don't think Nazi Germany was an atheist state, but the persecution of the Jews wasn't a religous one.
  • Options
    i certainly don't think Nazi Germany was an atheist state, but the persecution of the Jews wasn't a religous one.
    It's hard to say. Hitler was never entirely sure how to deal with religion. On the one hand, he saw religious independence as something quite dangerous, given what he wanted to do with Germany. On the other, he thought it an opportunity to spread the Nazi message further. I don't know how many went to church every Sunday in 1930s Germany, but it was almost certainly a hell a lot more than do today. And that's an audience that Hitler had to reach somehow - hence why he didn't attack the churches too much. He kept them on their toes, but if he attempted to destroy religion within Nazi Germany, it could have backfired badly on him.

As for persecution of the Jews, it's clear from Mein Kampf that Hitler viewed Jews as the enemy. He used them as a scapegoat for the massive problems that Germany had suffered since the end of World War One. (for example, the very poor governments of the 1920s, the massive debts Germany had been forced to take on, etc) History shows us that certain groups have been wrongly demonised for political purposes - Hitler chose to target the Jews. However, no one can be sure of whether the Final Solution was a deliberate or accidental policy. Historians aren't even certain whether Hitler personally authorised the policy, such was the extremely confusing way he ran the government. Remember, Hitler had little time for day to day government. Although it's very hard to see how the Final Solution could have been implemented without Hitler's knowledge, we may never know the full story, as all those who could tell us are long dead.
  • Options
    Let's not forget the 'rational' French revolutionaries and the awful lot of trouble they caused.