Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pill for under-16s

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well I'd say a 15 year old having sex with a 10 year old would probably be worse than a 25 year old having sex with a 15 year old tbh.
    That's illegal for different reasons though, isn't it?
    And by the way, when someone comes up with the 15-16 idea (which would technically be illegal), remember that it could also be ignored like the under-16 is now.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's illegal for different reasons though, isn't it?

Not really. The sentencing differs, but the charge is still statutory rape. Currently, we have a two-tier system, where anyone having sex with someone under 16 has broken the law, because consent cannot officially be given. But under 13, it has to be treated as out-and-out rape, which generally comes with an automatic prison term. In practical terms, they still use their discretion, like in the case of the man who recently had sex with a 10 year old, but didn't go to prison, because the court agreed she looked unusually old. But yeah, generally speaking, a girl under 13 is automatically prison, and a girl between 13 and 15 is based more on the circumstances (who initiated it, whether the situation was planned by the adult, whether they were in a position of responsibility etc). I'm not sure about someone 13-15 having sex with someone under 13 though. Presumably not an automatic prison term in that case.
  • Options
    Would one be able to choose what pill? Such as ones for shorter/less/no periods, or lower dose hormones? Or would it be just a handfull of generalized pills they could prescribe?

Generally in this country you don't get to chose your pill as such. Pretty much everyone is started on Microgynon, and then changed if there are any problems with it to something else. I would assume that the choice would be very restricted.
  • Options
    Generally in this country you don't get to chose your pill as such. Pretty much everyone is started on Microgynon, and then changed if there are any problems with it to something else. I would assume that the choice would be very restricted.

One of my friends got put straight on the mini pill. But i think she had slightly high bood pressure. Another got put on dianette for acne but I heard you're only on it for 2 years because it's strong? She's been on it over 2 years now and her nurse doesn't seem to think she needs to change it. I was started on microgynon though - they told me because it was the cheapest and good for controlling periods.
  • Options
    Generally...

If you have initial contra indications then you won't get put on it. Women who are on the pill to control acne are often put straight onto dianette, those with high blood pressure usually can't be prescribed the combined pill.

Prescribing guidelines changed for dianette a couple of years ago as it was shown to have higher risks of things like DVT than most other pills, and this risk increases with time, hence the reduced length of treatment. However, some people stay on it, generally if they come under low risk categories for other causes (weight, blood pressure, exercise etc).
  • Options
    I was in a rush yesterday afternoon when I was typing that message - I had to go somewhere quite suddenly, so in my haste, I didn't explain particularly clearly what I meant.
    katchika wrote: »
    "deserve everything you get" what is that supposed to mean?
    What I was attempting to say was if a girl chooses to have sex, knowing full well what all the risks are, and then falls pregnant, I would have little sympathy. I'd also have little sympathy for the bloke in question.

Given how much sex education kids receive at school, (forced upon by the state, incidentally, without parental right of veto) they should know what the risks are, shouldn't they? But I somehow doubt it. As the number of hours of state sex education goes up, the number of people with STDs goes up. I wonder why... and the answer of liberals everywhere is "oh, we can't be bothered educating kids properly, so we'll just give them the morning-after pill". What a pathetic and defeatist attitude.
    Ah but that's different. Stargalaxy only wants people to have the choice to do things that he agrees with.
    I'm taking no lectures from you about choices and freedom of speech. This is the man who works himself into a rage about religion on an almost daily basis, mouthing off how much he hates it, yet when I dare to have a go back, (calling you the love child of Richard Dawkins) you throw all your toys out of the pram.

And Aladdin can't lecture me either here. He'd be the man who opposes giving free speech to Nick Griffin and Holocaust deniers. (that'd be the Oxford Union protests I'm talking about) He doesn't trust people to listen to their squalid views of the world before criticising and laughing at their ideas.

And for those who think that parents shouldn't be involved - do you seriously think the state knows what's best for kids?
  • Options
    SG, there is such thing as contraception failing you know. Do women 'deserve' it then? Pregnancy shouldn't be used as a punishment no matter what the situation is.
  • Options
    Given how much sex education kids receive at school, (forced upon by the state, incidentally, without parental right of veto) they should know what the risks are, shouldn't they? But I somehow doubt it. As the number of hours of state sex education goes up, the number of people with STDs goes up. I wonder why... and the answer of liberals everywhere is "oh, we can't be bothered educating kids properly, so we'll just give them the morning-after pill". What a pathetic and defeatist attitude.

I think you underestimate how lacking the sex education in some schools is at the moment. When I did some teaching, we had planned the lessons to be a 'top-up' to what they had already had. Instead we found that some girls thought you only had to take the pill on the night you had sex, rather than continuously. Their parents didn't educate them, their teachers didn't have the time or resources, so we had 3 weeks to start from the drawing board.

I think a more pathetic attitude to have is to keep young people ignorant for the sake of their 'innocence' not arming them with the facts, and not telling them where they can get help, then when something does go wrong, they're the ones to blame as they apparently had a brilliant education, and in the case of an unplanned pregnancy, if they abort, they're a selfish bitch who should have kept her legs shut, and if they don't, they're a plague on society and should be looked down upon.
    And for those who think that parents shouldn't be involved - do you seriously think the state knows what's best for kids?

If they are competent, young people have as much a right to confidentiality as adults. Laws like Gillick are often there to protect children from their parents, sad but true.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    And Aladdin can't lecture me either here. He'd be the man who opposes giving free speech to Nick Griffin and Holocaust deniers. (that'd be the Oxford Union protests I'm talking about) He doesn't trust people to listen to their squalid views of the world before criticising and laughing at their ideas.
    What's got freedom of speech got to do with it? Care to address your (frankly) rather repugnant views on whether underage girls "deserve" to suffer and to give birth if they have the temerity of having sex? Fuck them, fuck their families and fuck the unwanted children eh? A beacon of compassion you are...
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I think a more pathetic attitude to have is to keep young people ignorant for the sake of their 'innocence' not arming them with the facts, and not telling them where they can get help, then when something does go wrong, they're the ones to blame as they apparently had a brilliant education, and in the case of an unplanned pregnancy, if they abort, they're a selfish bitch who should have kept her legs shut, and if they don't, they're a plague on society and should be looked down upon.
    Oh, pull the other one. I'm not seriously saying that kids shouldn't be taught anything about sex, as some of you morons are implying. If sex education is as crap as you're making it out to be, why the hell is everyone advocating there should be MORE of it? Why not focus on making it better - it should not only teach about contraception, STDs, putting on condoms etc. Kids should also be taught there are different contexts regarding sex - one-night stands, sex in a relationship and so forth. But that would be being judgemental, according to some liberals. Who'll be the first to shed crocodile tears?

And shouldn't parents have a right to exclude their kids from sex education at schools, if they so wish? If a parent wishes to teach kids about sex in their own way, I say let them. I got a fair amount of my sex education from my grandma, of all people. Nothing makes her blush, and her knowledge is simply astonishing! I realise it's not for everyone, far from it, but shouldn't it be an option at the very least?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    What's got freedom of speech got to do with it? Care to address your (frankly) rather repugnant views on whether underage girls "deserve" to suffer and to give birth if they have the temerity of having sex? Fuck them, fuck their families and fuck the unwanted children eh? A beacon of compassion you are...
    Only when you respond to my points as well. (and I mean seriously, instead of distorting my words) Kids get more sex education than ever, and younger than ever. Yet teenage pregnancy rates remain stubbornly the highest in Western Europe, and more and more people are getting STDs. (not just teens here, I must add) More sex education, more STDs, more pregnancies? Something doesn't add up here!
  • Options
    Haven't teen pregnancies started to decline recently though? SG, no one is saying we need more crap sex ed, everyones saying it needs to be more and better. Atm, schools only need to legally give 1 lesson on anatomy I believe?
  • Options
    It works for the rest of Europe so sex education and availability of contraception are clearly not the problem.

And the solution to it can and will never be 'punishment' or restriction of contraception on the basis that 'they shouldn't be doing it anyway'. That is never going to stop anyone, and will only create far more trouble than there already was.
  • Options
    sex education is as crap as you're making it out to be, why the hell is everyone advocating there should be MORE of it?

At the moment, most sex education teaches biology, and not much else. Nothing on self-esteem, critiquing mass media messages, relationships etc. My sex ed pretty much consisted of, "Now you know how to do it, don't." Biology is simply not enough, and I think it's a very unfair burden on teachers. Learning about sex and relationships is just as vital as learning how to use the toilet, or use a knife and fork - it's for life.
    Kids should also be taught there are different contexts regarding sex - one-night stands, sex in a relationship and so forth

Well, duh. Unforch, teachers have more pressing matters to deal with, ideally sex education starts at home, but some parents just can't/won't do it. My mum was a staunch Catholic and the way she was raised, sex was taboo in the household.
    And shouldn't parents have a right to exclude their kids from sex education at schools, if they so wish?

Basing it on the assumption that these parents will do it? Some will, some won't.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It works for the rest of Europe so sex education and availability of contraception are clearly not the problem.
    So, if contraception and education aren't the problem, what is?
    Well, duh. Unforch, teachers have more pressing matters to deal with, ideally sex education starts at home, but some parents just can't/won't do it. My mum was a staunch Catholic and the way she was raised, sex was taboo in the household.
    So, you seriously prefer to see the state shoving its nose in instead? I'm gobsmacked by how much faith some of you have in politicians and government.
  • Options
    So, you seriously prefer to see the state shoving its nose in instead? I'm gobsmacked by how much faith some of you have in politicians and government.

What's the alternative? I've posted about the ideal situation, however it's just not going to happen for some. Who else will then teach children and teenagers about sex if their parents won't?
  • Options
    What's the alternative? I've posted about the ideal situation, however it's just not going to happen for some. Who else will then teach children and teenagers about sex if their parents won't?
    It's not as if the only sources of information about sex are parents and schools, is it? What about this thing called the Internet? I suspect a lot of kids get their info about sex from this now. Whilst there are plenty of useless sources on the net, (much like there being plenty of useless sex education teachers in schools) there's also quite a few REPUTABLE (I emphasise that word) sources out there to teach you about sex - I'd suggest a certain website called TheSite.org.
  • Options
    So, if contraception and education aren't the problem, what is?
    I'd say not enough sex education (literarily too little, too late) and the prudish approach to all things related to sex this country has always experienced.
  • Options
    A lot of kids don't HAVE internet access at home. And they are unlikely to sit at school in an open computer room, looking up CONDOMS or ABORTION (if the school even lets them access sites with information about sex in the first place).

The internet is a good source of information, but it isn't accessible to every young person (although it should be!)
  • Options
    I suspect a lot of kids get their info about sex from this now.

Is that necessarily a good thing?
    there's also quite a few REPUTABLE (I emphasise that word) sources out there to teach you about sex - I'd suggest a certain website called TheSite.org.

The internet is an alternative, but it's never going to be the same as discussing things with people face to face. TheSite doesn't cater for young children, for instance, and young children start with basics like where do babies come from.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    A lot of kids don't HAVE internet access at home. And they are unlikely to sit at school in an open computer room, looking up CONDOMS or ABORTION (if the school even lets them access sites with information about sex in the first place).

The internet is a good source of information, but it isn't accessible to every young person (although it should be!)

:yes:

When I was at college, access to this site was banned for a while, and our searches were monitored.
  • Options
    More education is definitely needed, or at least the minimum standard and content needs to be increased.

I don't think parents should have a right to veto it. Adequate sex education is essential, not only for each child, but for society as a whole.

SG, it sounds like you are implying that teenage pregnancy is increasing because of the increasing levels of sex education, and the increased avaliablilty of contraception.

I'm personally pretty sure that's not the case, many other factors contribute, kids seems to grow up faster, look at what 11/12 yr old wear now compared to what they wore when you were that age. Kids dresss like mini teens, more and more pop music is about sex and drugs and lots of celebrities have transient relationships which are all over the paper. These are the factors contributing to teenagers having sex younger, education and contraception /std protection needs to take this into account and make sure a reasonable level is getting to kids at the right age.

I was having sex at 15, I didn't give a damn about the law, and I was doing so because I was in a long term mature relationship that had progressed to that level. I was on the pill, as a hormonal regulator, rather than originally as contraception, and always doubled up with condoms. He bought the condoms, he was a few years older and it was far easier and far more acceptable for him to get them than it was for me. I personally don't think that that's the right way to have things.

I didn't talk to my parents about it, we're a Catholic family, and I know now that my parents are very tolerant and moderate thinking but I didn't have the confidence to have that discussion with my parents at the time. Not sure how well 'Mum, I'm going on the pill' would have gone down.

Someone is going to leap on that, saying if I wasn't mature enough to have that conversation then I shouldn't have been having sex. I got on very well with my parents, still do, but I didn't want to do anything to rock the boat. Sex/relationships isn't something we talk about at home, there's a listening ear there if any of us needs it but each of us has our own private lives and that's the way things stay.
  • Options
    I'm taking no lectures from you about choices and freedom of speech. This is the man who works himself into a rage about religion on an almost daily basis, mouthing off how much he hates it, yet when I dare to have a go back, (calling you the love child of Richard Dawkins) you throw all your toys out of the pram.

:confused: I've never even debated the subject of religion with you, so you can't even blame that personal attack in an unrelated thread on your lack of ability to define between personal attacks and those criticising the points you made. And throwing my toys out of the pram? I'd love to see what you define as that. As the person who throws his toys out of the pram more regularly than anyone else on the site, you're in no position to criticise anyone else. If the roles had been reversed, you would've been hitting that report post button quicker than you get through a year of uni.

Would you like to demonstrate how you are supporting these girls rights to make their own choice to be safe? Or would you prefer to avoid the question, and hope that persistance will make you right, like the infamous liberal elite, if we're going to drag up past threads on here?
  • Options

I also don't think that parents own their children, or have the right to deny information from them. And actually, now I think about it, yes, the state does sometimes know better than some parents. The MMR jab is a typical example of parents thinking they know better than state scientists and doctors when they don't. Teachers know how to teach better than parents too. This idea that parents always know best is ridiculous. The only question is where the limits of government intrusion and responsibility, and parental intrusion and responsibility into the life of a child lie on individual issues. The government only has so many rights, and the parents only have so many rights. The idea that parents have all of the rights, and government and child themselves have none is dangerous.
  • Options
    It's not as if the only sources of information about sex are parents and schools, is it? What about this thing called the Internet? I suspect a lot of kids get their info about sex from this now. Whilst there are plenty of useless sources on the net, (much like there being plenty of useless sex education teachers in schools) there's also quite a few REPUTABLE (I emphasise that word) sources out there to teach you about sex - I'd suggest a certain website called TheSite.org.

But taking that to extremes, by that logic, kids don't need education about anything. All of the information you learn in GCSE English is out there on the internet, for example. A qualified teacher will always get the information across better, and get kids asking the right questions, rather than just giving them the facts. And the qualified teacher thing cannot be stressed enough, because hand up, who here was taught by a dedicated sex ed teacher? We were taught by the biology teacher, and it was pretty much just a biology lesson.
  • Options
    I'm personally pretty sure that's not the case, many other factors contribute, kids seems to grow up faster, look at what 11/12 yr old wear now compared to what they wore when you were that age. Kids dresss like mini teens, more and more pop music is about sex and drugs and lots of celebrities have transient relationships which are all over the paper. These are the factors contributing to teenagers having sex younger, education and contraception /std protection needs to take this into account and make sure a reasonable level is getting to kids at the right age.

I think that it's this countries attitude more than anything. Mainstream Europe has had all of these things for far longer than us, and yet has managed to keep teen pregnancies down because of their effective sex education schemes, and generally more liberal attitude to the subject.Whereas in Britain, we were a very conservative country. I mean could Page 3 really exist in any other country? Over the past few decades, kids have been increasingly subjected to sexual content in all countries, and in this country, we've done fuck all about it, while Europe has left us behind. The increasing sexualization is inevitable, the question is how you deal with it.
  • Options
    Aladdin will say, sanctimoniously, that his is a more humane attitude. But isn't it true to say that at a very basic level people learn not to do things - that people learn that a certain action is bad, because they experience either directly or vicariously the consequence of that action? If that is the case, how can you then say that making the pill available (which would remove one of the consequences of under-age sex) to under-16s won't increase promiscuity, and as a corrollary of that, increase STDs amongst under-16s?

If we agree, as we should, that under-16s shouldn't be having sex because they are not physically or emotionally prepared for it (that is the reason for the age of consent), that promiscuity is not a good thing, that a rise in STDs is not a good thing, then surely it is more humane not to support this considering the fact that it is likely to increase all these things.
  • Options
    Are you suggesting that giving teens the pill means that they will have sex, but not giving it means tha tthey won't?
  • Options
    Are you suggesting that giving teens the pill means that they will have sex, but not giving it means tha tthey won't?

Only someone who is completly stupid and was never young would suggest such a thing.

Surely he can't have meant that?
  • Options
    Although I don't agree with underage sex, it's a fact that there are plenty of people out there partaking in it and I do believe it's best to enable them to protect themselves. However I think it's important that they discuss this with a medical professional who can warn them of the risks, and I can't help but wonder if making the pill even easier to access will mean a reduction in this sort of support?

I certainly don't agree that giving the pill to U16s means the law isn't effective in discouraging this type of behaviour.