Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pill for under-16s

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I saw this when they were going through tomorrows papers on BBC news a moment ago, and could just feel the outrage emanating from the front of the Daily Mail. I'll try and post the story when they publish it on their website, but for now, here's Channel 4's take on it. The jist is that chemists are now able to sell the pill to anyone, including under 16s, after a consultation with a pharmacist rather than a GP.

Good I say. Anyone disagree with this?

Comments

• Options
    To be honest, you can get the pill as an under 16 from your doctor, if pharmacists are fit to sell it to over 16s I don't see why they shouldn't provide the same service to under 16s.

The questions that need to be asked and the advice that needs to be given isn't exactly rocket science.

I was on the pill as an under 16 and I'm very happy with how that worked, I got good advice, respect and clear explanations. It didn't need to be a GP that I got that from, in many ways it might have been easier if it wasn't my GP.
  • Options
    Its obviously a sensible step to take. The only reason anyone would be outraged is if they were under the illusion that under 16s are refraining from sex due to lack of The Pill. I imagine that is behind the tabloid objection to it, they think if you stop access to contraception nobody will have sex.

The reality - that if you stop access to contraception more teenagers will get pregnant - never seems to strike them. I had sex before I was 16, and its a lucky thing I didn't end up pregnant. My best friend at the time advised me to go on the pill, but the prospect of going to my local GP, who knew me and my parents since childhood, was just too embarrassing, so I didn't.

Giving young girls a more anonymous option is a sensible and long overdue measure.
  • Options
    I thought the likes of The Mail really worried about teenage pregancies and abortions and desperately wanted to cut their numbers? They should make their minds up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I do think this is a good thing in many ways but in other ways I am a bit confused.

Firstly, they are making it easier for under 16's to get the pill; therefore get contraception and have safe sex. Fab; better than having unsafe sex. But now where is the relevance to the legal age of 16. They can have sex under 16; no-one could ever physically stop two teens doing that. But now they are making it very very easy for two teens to practice safe sex. So why not just scrap the whole age of 16? It isn't holding any importance anymore; never has done really. I stand to be corrected.

Secondly they are talking about raising the age of alcohol to 21 or whatever it is they are considering. So now under 16's can practice safe sex yet you have to be over 18 to legally drink a drop of vodka? I fail to see how this works. Most people experiment with alcohol and get drunk a fair while before they experiment with sex. I think most people admit to getting drunk on the park before they lost their virginity.

Generally, Thumbs Up Though.
  • Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. Let's scrap the age of consent while we're at it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I thought the likes of The Mail really worried about teenage pregancies and abortions and desperately wanted to cut their numbers? They should make their minds up :rolleyes:
    People under 16 shouldn't be having sex in the first place. Apart from it being illegal, they're probably not emotionally ready to start doing it. But we're not allowed to say that anymore - we supposedly live in an age where we musn't judge anyone that anything does. Having sex under 16 is a "lifestyle choice", if you believe what warped liberal minds tell you.

Hence why I oppose this move. It's an admission that policies have failed. And the way they go about these things is extremely sinister. Parental consent will almost certainly not be required for this. I worry about the way parents are being undermined by government. Why is New Labour trying to take over the role of parenting the nation's kids?
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Let's scrap the age of consent while we're at it.
    Get rid of the age of consent? How the hell's that going to work?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Get rid of the age of consent? How the hell's that going to work?

Well....

Under 16yr olds can have sex; no one can stop them doing that.

Under 16 yr olds currently can get contraception free from GP

Soon under 16 yr olds will be able to get the pill from their pharmasist after a 10 minute talk.

It is easier than ever for people to have sex under the age of 16. The age of consent has no relevance anymore; no significance.

Unless we are going to turn back all the changes that have happened (parental consent, free contraception) then there is no real point to the age of consent anymore.

Is there?
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    It is easier than ever for people to have sex under the age of 16. The age of consent has no relevance anymore; no significance. Unless we are going to turn back all the changes that have happened (parental consent, free contraception) then there is no real point to the age of consent anymore. Is there?
    Here we go again... the argument that, because the law is being broken, it's therefore pointless. We hear it on the drugs debate - because so many are using these substances, it's apparently pointless to enforce the law, and therefore the law should be changed. There's that logic coming out again here. And it doesn't wash for one second.
  • Options
    Here we go again... the argument that, because the law is being broken, it's therefore pointless. We hear it on the drugs debate - because so many are using these substances, it's apparently pointless to enforce the law, and therefore the law should be changed. There's that logic coming out again here. And it doesn't wash for one second.

I agree with you that it isn't right for under 16 year olds to be having sex; but many of us did it and we are no worse off for it are we? By having the age of consent set, it doesn't influence a teenager's decision of when they are going to have sex. Not one of my friends (and I have never heard of it) think oh Im 15, me and my boyfriend want sex but opps, it's illegal we will wait. No one does that; or very few. It has no relevance; not now, not ever. Never has done, never will do. So what is the point in setting yet another rule and regulation for teenagers to abide by; when they don't abide by it in the first place.
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    I agree with you that it isn't right for under 16 year olds to be having sex; but many of us did it and we are no worse off for it are we?
    I wouldn't know, I didn't lose my virginity until several years later. :p
    By having the age of consent set, it doesn't influence a teenager's decision of when they are going to have sex. Not one of my friends (and I have never heard of it) think oh Im 15, me and my boyfriend want sex but opps, it's illegal we will wait. No one does that...
    And I'm not seriously pretending they do. But doesn't getting rid of it send out a dangerous message? You could have sex with 14 year olds, 12 year olds... where do you draw the line?
  • Options
    I think the plans are a very good idea, all woman should have better access to contraception. It can be a right pain trying to get a doctors appointment, especially if you work normal office hours.
  • Options
    I wouldn't know, I didn't lose my virginity until several years later. :p And I'm not seriously pretending they do. But doesn't getting rid of it send out a dangerous message? You could have sex with 14 year olds, 12 year olds... where do you draw the line?

Yeah, I can more than see where you are coming from in regards to the likes of 30 yr olds with 14 yr olds. But generally; in most circumstances the age of consent has no signifance. Surely they would be better with a law which enforces the likes of elders with minors. Eh, it gets confusing.
  • Options
    yeah I think it would too complicated to change the laws. I think they are fine as they are. Judges/CPS are pretty clued up and you very rarely hear of two 15 year olds being taken to court for having sex.
  • Options
    Hence why I oppose this move. It's an admission that policies have failed. And the way they go about these things is extremely sinister. Parental consent will almost certainly not be required for this. I worry about the way parents are being undermined by government

Teenagers are protected by Gillick in cases of contraception and abortion, how is it so different getting it over the counter rather than seeing a GP for instance? The way I understand it is that there would still be a consultation to rule out risk factors.
  • Options
    Yes it does when you consider that laws should reflect society and the shifting in beliefs, standards and morals all societies experience has time goes by.

Only a century ago youngsters were a great deal more immature and naive than their counterparts today. We need to accept that people start having sexual relations at an earlier age nowadays, and no reactionary morals-based law is going to stop that.

To say that ''they shouldn't be having sex in the first place'' is paramout to the Church arguing against the distribution of condoms in Africa because people shouldn't be sleeping around. It is an absurd, cruel and ultimately pointless position destined to total failure.
  • Options
    To say that ''they shouldn't be having sex in the first place'' is paramout to the Church arguing against the distribution of condoms in Africa because people shouldn't be sleeping around. It is an absurd, cruel and ultimately pointless position destined to total failure.
    My message is - you shouldn't be having sex under 16 and if you do, you deserve everything you get. Your message is - do what the hell you like, it's just another "choice" and you won't have to take responsibility for your actions.

Take a guess which line the parents would agree with.
  • Options
    "deserve everything you get" what is that supposed to mean?

Maybe if you had actually had any girls wanting to have sex with you when you were 15, you would feel differently.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Maybe if you had actually had any girls wanting to have sex with you when you were 15, you would feel differently.

:D
  • Options
    the problem is this

how many under 16 yr olds (not just under 16 i know, but thats what we're on about) use condoms to stop themselves getting pregnant?

now weigh that up with how many use a condom to remain in good sexual health....

if girls are on the pill, i think its less likely they'll be worried about using a condom, which will inflate STD cases more than ever

i know when i was 15, i had been with my fella for 2 years and if we didnt use a condom, my 1st worry was pregnancy, not herpes!

there's no easy solution to be honest, but safe sex isnt ALL about protecting against unwanted pregnancies
  • Options
    My message is - you shouldn't be having sex under 16 and if you do, you deserve everything you get.
    What a nice and pleasant society would be one you controlled...
    Your message is - do what the hell you like, it's just another "choice" and you won't have to take responsibility for your actions.
    Not quite. Mine is about caring for others, admitting to the realities of life and working with people to try to make the best out of a situation.

Incidentally by letting them obtain the pill you are in effect giving them the chance to take responsibility for their actions.

Frankly, your attitude is disgusting and nauseating.
    I suspect yhose parents who had a heart and an ounce of humanity and rationality in them would go with mine.
  • Options
    I suspect yhose parents who had a heart and an ounce of humanity and rationality in them would go with mine.

Exactly. The first thing my dad said when he found out that I lost my virginity underage wasn't, "what the hell were you doing having sex anyway, you stupid girl" it was "did you use protection?".

I'm sure they'd rather their kids were being safe when they had sex, including taking the pill to stop themselves getting pregnant, than going out and having sex completely unprotected and putting themselves at risk. Parents aren't likely to want their kids to "suffer the consequences".
  • Options
    My message is - you shouldn't be having sex under 16 and if you do, you deserve everything you get.

... and just to make sure that you get "punished" for having the temerity to enjoy sex, I am going to make damned sure that yuo can't protect yourself?
    you won't have to take responsibility for your actions.

So, taking the pill isn't "taking responsibility" then?

The one which offers their child the greatest protection.

Sure, my first line is "don't do it". My second is "but if you do, make sure you use protection". I'd say that was infinitely more sensible that "don't do it but if you do then tough shite matey you're on your own"...
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    the problem is this

how many under 16 yr olds (not just under 16 i know, but thats what we're on about) use condoms to stop themselves getting pregnant?

now weigh that up with how many use a condom to remain in good sexual health....

if girls are on the pill, i think its less likely they'll be worried about using a condom, which will inflate STD cases more than ever

i know when i was 15, i had been with my fella for 2 years and if we didnt use a condom, my 1st worry was pregnancy, not herpes!

there's no easy solution to be honest, but safe sex isnt ALL about protecting against unwanted pregnancies

:yes:

If under 16s are going to be having sex, yes, protection should be there for them to use. However, I think we should be pushing condoms far more, as they offer protection against STIs, which the pill doesn't.
  • Options
    Incidentally by letting them obtain the pill you are in effect giving them the chance to take responsibility for their actions.

Ah but that's different. Stargalaxy only wants people to have the choice to do things that he agrees with.

I reckon removing the age of consent is stupid though. I think it's always a good idea to have something technically illegal, even though the courts use their discretion as to when it's enforced. No-one will prosecute a 16 year old for sleeping with a 15 year old (in theory), but they would prosecute a 30 year old, and I think that's right.
  • Options
    :yes:

If under 16s are going to be having sex, yes, protection should be there for them to use. However, I think we should be pushing condoms far more, as they offer protection against STIs, which the pill doesn't.

I think that's the reason for needing a consultation, rather than just buying the stuff over the counter. They might be dubious about giving them to an under-16 year old who doesn't claim to be in a relationship for example, since this is generally who the pill is aimed at (except as additional protection to a condom).
  • Options
    I think it's a good move, freely giving out condoms for those not in a relationship is a good idea to, teens should be encouraged to use both the pill and condoms, better to be safe than sorry.
    I don't think the age of consent should be scrapped though as it offers a guideline for minors and elders to follow. If it was scrapped it would be telling a 30 year old that it is ok to have sex with a 13/14 year old and it isn't.

Not many kids wait until they are 16+ to have sex, raging hormones kick in and they do whats natural, some feel ready for sex younger than 16 and others not until they are alot older but the guideline is a good thing to have IMO.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see how it's implemented.

You'd hope they might try a few sensible things like giving out free condoms with the pill, making the point that the condoms do more than the pill in the line of protection

Not that I hold out much hope, we are talking about a system where 99% of it can't manage to offer decent protection for those with latex allergies....
  • Options
    I think thats awsome! Beats the hell out of what I have to go thru. 1 year prescription for the pill. After that they'll give you 3 months. If you havn't come in for your yearly violation, the doctor won't perscribe even another month until you do.

And if you can't afford a trip to the gyno, oh fucking well. Best save that money you're not spending on the docs for an accidental kid.

Would one be able to choose what pill? Such as ones for shorter/less/no periods, or lower dose hormones? Or would it be just a handfull of generalized pills they could prescribe?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe disbanding the 16-law wouldn't be good, but perhaps it would be better to turn it into a wall. Only people on the same side of the wall as each other are legally allowed to do it.
  • Options
    Well I'd say a 15 year old having sex with a 10 year old would probably be worse than a 25 year old having sex with a 15 year old tbh.