Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should coppers be allowed to strike?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    WhoWhere -

As I said clearly, I think your colleagues should get the pay, its disgusting the situation their in, but the other points about danger and hours are COMPLETELY irrelevant to the argument as that's the job you signed up for, and you can bitch and moan about not being able to turn your back on it as much as you like, but if you wanted you could quit.

But as you have shown again in your post, your job is the most dangerous, stressful etc in the world.. etc so I wish you all the best.

I don't bash the police for everything at all, so I don't know where you get that from? I think a lot of police do a good job and unfortunately there are quite a lot of wankers ruining it for the rest.
  • Options
    I think a lot of police do a good job and unfortunately there are quite a lot of wankers ruining it for the rest.

The other point you made, we'll have to agree to disagree on. But you summed it all up with these 2 lines. A lot of cops are wankers. They don't put the hours in, they are lazy, they're on a power trip e.t.c. and make the rest of us look like a load of jack booted thugs.

I didn't sign up for the money, my career could have taken a completely different path when I was younger, it still could. I could sign up to be a regular cop tomorrow, but rightly or wrongly i've grown quite attached to the community i'm based in, and the idea of having to spend most of my time behind a desk, despite being paid better appalls me.

But, a little extra would be nice. For Jaqui Smith to keep her end of the bargain would be nicer.
  • Options
    Fair points well made.

I retract half the horseshit I posted ;)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Tweety wrote: »
    Whats dangerous about fishing? Policer officers deal with CRIMINALS EVERY day, some very dangerous indeed.

Trawler men have have the most dangerous job in the world. Then you deep sea diver and rig workers.
    There are loads of other professions just as and even more dangerous than policing the streets. Having to work overtime, being on call, long hours - all of these things are common in many ocupations and none of these are good reasons for a payrise.
    They don't get a bad pay as it is and they have excellent benifits.

They should get this money because the governemtn should stick to this deal - that's the only reason.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    But as you have shown again in your post, your job is the most dangerous, stressful etc in the world.. etc so I wish you all the best.

That's debatable.
    I could sign up to be a regular cop tomorrow, but rightly or wrongly i've grown quite attached to the community i'm based in,

What's the difference between what you do and being a regular cop?
  • Options
    The bottom line is that pay should be given too them but only because the goverment agreed.
    Okay, so we're in agreement. In that case, why are we arguing?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Okay, so we're in agreement. In that case, why are we arguing?

I think cheese was just trying to make his point that although being a PC may be dangerous, important and so on, that wasn't the grounds for justifying the payrise as it was used as a reason - the reason there should be a payrise is because the government agreed to it.

The reason you're arguing is because it's P&D and you have nothing better to do :p
  • Options
    Yeah, I figured we were all in agreement that the government should keep to its promise, so I thought I'd bring up the subject of police pay in general. And imo, police are either overpaid, or everyone else is underpaid (and good look to anyone in politics who is gonna claim the first one).
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think cheese was just trying to make his point that although being a PC may be dangerous, important and so on, that wasn't the grounds for justifying the payrise as it was used as a reason - the reason there should be a payrise is because the government agreed to it.

The reason you're arguing is because it's P&D and you have nothing better to do :p

Exactly, I clearly stated my stance several times SG, so you are either just a wind up merchant or an idiot. I could believe either.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    That's debatable.

Perhaps you need to go out on a Friday night run and see for yourself how dangerous the job can be. I'm not talking about in a city either where you've got 30 cops waiting around the corner in a van to save you. Go out and work semi-rurally on some council estates.

What's the difference between what you do and being a regular cop?[/QUOTE]

I'm a PCSO, I spend more time on the street with the community, have virtually no paperwork, can still arrest people and do pretty much what a cop does but with less hassle about detecting crimes and filling in forms.
  • Options
    Yeah, I figured we were all in agreement that the government should keep to its promise, so I thought I'd bring up the subject of police pay in general. And imo, police are either overpaid, or everyone else is underpaid (and good look to anyone in politics who is gonna claim the first one).

I think they're paid the right amount for what they do, the ones with some service in anyway. It takes upwards of 10 years to be able to start earning the real money though.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    can still arrest people

Do you have full power of arrest do you? I thought it was just common law arrest?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Believe me, I've got plenty to do this week. Though I must admit that was a particularly boring Sunday I've just had. :p
  • Options
    Do you have full power of arrest do you? I thought it was just common law arrest?

Common law power if we see an offence being comitted and power to detain which is the same as your hubby's, allowing us to suspect a crime has taken place.
    That one has a 30 minute time limit, but as the cops have to be with us within 10 minutes it's not really relevant.
  • Options
    I didn't know they had to be there within 10 mins. Makes things a bit easier then.
  • Options
    Perhaps you need to go out on a Friday night run and see for yourself how dangerous the job can be. I'm not talking about in a city either where you've got 30 cops waiting around the corner in a van to save you. Go out and work semi-rurally on some council estates.

No thanks; I have better things to do.

And other than what you've just said, can you actually prove that your job is more danergous than say, working as a firefighter?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    No thanks; I have better things to do.

Most armchair coppers normally do have something better to do when asked to take their heads out the sand, funny that. If you ever change your mind you could always become a special, do 4 hours on a friday night and see for yourself. Or are you all talk?
    And other than what you've just said, can you actually prove that your job is more danergous than say, working as a firefighter?

Where have I said my job or the job of a police officer is more dangerous.....? I said that it is dangerous, and there are different sorts of danger. Firefighters (someone intelligent correct me if i'm wrong) face INCREDIBLY dangerous situations in short, sharp doses. They're not always stood inside a burning house waiting to die.
    Police officers face a constant, lower level threat of danger. I'd argue that trying to disperse a group of youths who have decided to start chucking bricks at you on a dark Friday night, whilst not AS dangerous as running into a burning building, is still dangerous. But then why would you agree, you obviously know more from sitting behind a screen.
  • Options
    I didn't know they had to be there within 10 mins. Makes things a bit easier then.

Depends on the force. Our force is very good when it comes to responding to shouts for assistance, mainly because we keep them to a minimum lol.
  • Options
    Depends on the force. Our force is very good when it comes to responding to shouts for assistance, mainly because we keep them to a minimum lol.

Yeah its good to know backup isnt far away though.