Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Should coppers be allowed to strike?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No I dont think they should be able to - but that is of course dependant on the deal that the Government should also keep.

SG: On a small side note, why do you hate stop smoking people so much, or 'five a day co-ordinators'? I knew someone who worked in a smoking clinic and frankly I thought her work was totally worthwhile.
  • Options
    if the police do go on strike for any length of time all i can say is i'm glad i live on the 10th floor in a gated estate, things would get ugly pretty fast in some areas of london.....first the lecturers then the teachers now the police, i'm noticing a recurring theme.

the government has no money left and has nothing left to sell off or privatise, which means taxes and retirement age are going up and public services will be cut back or scrapped, can't wait!
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    SG: On a small side note, why do you hate stop smoking people so much, or 'five a day co-ordinators'? I knew someone who worked in a smoking clinic and frankly I thought her work was totally worthwhile.
    As Disillusioned points out quite often, the number of people smoking in the UK has been falling steadily since the 1970s. And to my knowledge, there weren't any smoking cessation officers around back then. I just question how much of an effect they really have, when numbers of people smoking are falling.
    the government has no money left and has nothing left to sell off or privatise, which means taxes and retirement age are going up and public services will be cut back or scrapped, can't wait!
    There's something in that. For much of the last century, the idea of big government has been pretty dominant, I would argue. The Government owned almost all of the industries in some way, but running all these different things - water, gas, the railways - cost a hell of a lot of money, and costs continued to rise along with the increasing population. (for example, more people using the trains equals more trains being required, more room needed on platforms, more drivers being needed - all pushing up costs) The model of big government has had its day. I think we're going to move during this century towards a model of smaller government, ultimately.

One potential scenario is this: there will be more elderly in the future, thus potentially pushing up healthcare and medical costs. The NHS could buckle under this strain. The workforce will resent having to pay higher taxes to fund all this. A political party will pick up on the anger and dissatisfaction, and the one that promises extremely radical reforms would be elected. This is just one possible scenario, but I think it's hard to deny that government will almost certainly look very different in the year 2107 to what it does now.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    As Disillusioned points out quite often, the number of people smoking in the UK has been falling steadily since the 1970s. And to my knowledge, there weren't any smoking cessation officers around back then. I just question how much of an effect they really have, when numbers of people smoking are falling.

Amoung certain groups yes, but in terms of those at the bottom smoking is still as common. I'm just slightly confused by your obvious hatred for someone who stops someone dying, there are quite a lot of similar healthcare jobs.
    The model of big government has had its day. I think we're going to move during this century towards a model of smaller government, ultimately.

One potential scenario is this: there will be more elderly in the future, thus potentially pushing up healthcare and medical costs. The NHS could buckle under this strain. The workforce will resent having to pay higher taxes to fund all this. A political party will pick up on the anger and dissatisfaction, and the one that promises extremely radical reforms would be elected. This is just one possible scenario, but I think it's hard to deny that government will almost certainly look very different in the year 2107 to what it does now.

It is precisely because we are getting old that we want all the people we can grab from Eastern Europe, they are already of working age, they've got a generally good work ethic, and a big chunk of them will leave again before claiming pensions.

I very much doubt you will see a party getting into power wanting to cut back drastically on what the government does, it will be the usual arguments about who is the better manager - which is exactly all politics is now, management.
  • Options
    For a job with no formal qualifications required, the Police don't get half bad pay. The starting wage is more than nurses, for example, who have to train for 3 years, and around the same amount as teachers, who have to train for 4 years.

Police officers have to learn a hell of a lot in a relatively short space of time. You have no idea. Just because its not a "FORMAL" qualification does't make it matter any the less.
    Why shouldn't someone who puts themselves at a big risk everytime they go to work get a decent pay packet out of it? Similar to firemen.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Police officers have to learn a hell of a lot in a relatively short space of time. You have no idea. Just because its not a "FORMAL" qualification does't make it matter any the less.
    The police work towards NVQ levels 3 and 4 in their training (a formal qualification, no less), whereas a degree is the equivalent to level 5. So it is a less difficult qualification according to the people who run it. But the main factor is the investment that people put into becoming a teacher or nurse, compared to a police officer.

If you're a teacher, you need to spend 4 years getting into considerable debt and effectively working full time without pay for about half a year of your course. After that, you need to complete a year on a considerably reduced wage (I think about £16k), and only then can you claim to be qualified and get a fully paid job at about £22k a year. Compare that to a police officer, who gets £20k a year from the off, tuition fees paid, and has risen to £24k a year by the time they've actually qualified. So it takes less time to train, it's at a lower level of academic study, it's all paid for, they get a wage during training, and they get paid more when they're done.

The fact that so many police officers are also graduates is just a reflection of the inflated salary on offer, which is competing with the graduate market, when it shouldn't need to.
    Why shouldn't someone who puts themselves at a big risk everytime they go to work get a decent pay packet out of it? Similar to firemen.
    Because so many people want to do it anyway. Why should we need to entice them with huge pay packets and benefits at the taxpayers expense? It's not like people don't want to be police officers or firefighters, and it's not even as if it's as dangerous as mining, construction, fishing, or any number of other jobs, if we're talking danger money here.
  • Options
    So because they don't train for as long as a teacher then they should get less, dispite being in a very dangerous job!
    What a bizarre view.
    Because so many people want to do it anyway. Why should we need to entice them with huge pay packets and benefits at the taxpayers expense? It's not like people don't want to be police officers or firefighters, and it's not even as if it's as dangerous as mining, construction, fishing, or any number of other jobs, if we're talking danger money here.

Whats dangerous about fishing? Policer officers deal with CRIMINALS EVERY day, some very dangerous indeed.

If you really don't see the danger a police officer is faced with every day you really have no idea, and must be looking through tinted glass.
    My other half is a police officer so i know what risk he is taking every day.
    Also just because he chose that profession does that mean he should't be paid well for a dangerous job just because he picked to do that?!
  • Options
    Whats dangerous about fishing?

Coming from a fishing port I've known of people go overboard, get trapped in machinery or be in a boat which goes down with all hands...
  • Options
    So because they don't train for as long as a teacher then they should get less, dispite being in a very dangerous job!
    What a bizarre view.
    Well it's a view shared by most people, and applies to most industries. It's why doctors get paid more than nurses. It's why university lecturers get paid more than school teachers. It's also why police get paid more than shop security guards. They train for longer and at a higher level, and so get paid more. It's basic economics. The fewer people qualified to do a certain job, the more those who are qualified get paid. And there are a hell of a lot more people qualified to become a police officer than qualified to train as a teacher. That's why there is a lot of competition for police and fire places and they're struggling to get enough teachers training in certain subjects.
    Whats dangerous about fishing? Policer officers deal with CRIMINALS EVERY day, some very dangerous indeed.
    What's so dangerous about fishing? Oh, I dunno, maybe the storms, the high sea, the fact that if you fall in you could die because you're so far from the nearest hostpital? Do you want to compare the serious injury and death figures? Fishing is the most dangerous job.
    If you really don't see the danger a police officer is faced with every day you really have no idea, and must be looking through tinted glass.
    My other half is a police officer so i know what risk he is taking every day.
    Also just because he chose that profession does that mean he should't be paid well for a dangerous job just because he picked to do that?!
    Nope, he should be paid a fair wage based at least to some degree on the market values, like any other job. You say I'm looking at it through tinted glasses, but then you're looking at it through the rose-tinted glasses of someone who's other half is a police officer? How is that any more balanced? When was the last time you heard of a police officer having to retire through serious injury? I'm sure there are plenty, but compare it to working in industry, for example, and the facts don't back up the percieved danger. Firefighting and policing seem to have this have this romantic mystique surrounding them that they're really dangerous jobs, and to some degree they are, but no more so than plenty of other jobs. The only difference is that they physically put themselves in danger, whereas most other jobs attempt to avoid it, but then so do the army, or security guards and they're paid less too.
  • Options
    What's so dangerous about fishing? Oh, I dunno, maybe the storms, the high sea, the fact that if you fall in you could die because you're so far from the nearest hostpital? Do you want to compare the serious injury and death figures? Fishing is the most dangerous job.

I doubt that thats a regular thing though. I don't see it as comparible.
    but then so do the army, or security guards and they're paid less too.

And i think the army should earn more too. but this is about police officers.
    Personally i wouldn't want to see the police strike but i would aslso the to see the government stick to the agreement!
  • Options
    The police have seen pretty big pay increases over recent years... as I'm With Stupid said for a job not requiring any formal qualifications it's a well paid job - and good benefits too. My mates dad has just retired - at 50, think I'm right in saying the police can retire after 30 yrs service and get a full pension, so someone who joins at 20 like he did can retire at 50. I don't have any problem with the police getting a pretty good deal; they don't do an easy job - although this story does remind people of how compared to the armed forces and nurses the police are doing very well for themselves... Regardless, the govt should honour its part of the deal - and on a separate issue the armed forces should get a better deal.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I very much doubt you will see a party getting into power wanting to cut back drastically on what the government does, it will be the usual arguments about who is the better manager - which is exactly all politics is now, management.
    I think it'll more likely be a case of a political party HAVING to follow such an agenda, rather than wanting to. And I suspect we won't just see it in this country either - loads of other countries have falling birth rates and an increasing elderly population. Either way, people are getting fed-up of the major political parties. The Tories and Labour are just seen as being "two cheeks of the same arse". (to quote George Galloway's opinion on Blair and Brown before using it in a different context) Politicians, regardless of what party they're in, are seen as incompetent liars. Apathy is rife.

And look at the difficulties that the parties have in raising funds. The Tories are dependent on Ashcroft, a man too spineless to tell us whether he pays tax in the UK. Labour have just as many dodgy donors - they're being investigated by the police again. And look at the LibDems. Michael Brown did - he's now in prison! Make no mistake - these are parties that represent the politics of the past. It's only a matter of time before they all die out. The only thing that remains to be seen is what comes along next.

On another second, I add my name to the notion that the armed forces should get better pay.
  • Options
    Talking about danger, being a police officer is a pretty dangerous profession. There's a risk of contracting disease, there's a risk of serious injury and there's an increasing risk of being shot due to the government's reluctance to hand out something more threatening than a bat. But, you're forgetting the stress involved, the regularly cancelled holiday, having work overtime with 20 minutes notice and HAVING to do it. It's not like another job where you can work to rule or swan away at 5pm despite being asked to stay.

Even as a PCSO with (supposedly) more rules from the union I regularly have leave cancelled or not even allowed in the first place, and it's stressful. Luckily I'm off for christmas, a few of my colleagues have all been told that whatever plans they have made they have to cancel and they're now working new years eve and new years day.

When we ask for a pay rise, it's not just for danger money, it's to reflect the true amount of shit we have to deal with day in and day out from people who are truly horrendous human beings. And if the government thinks a pay rise that equates to about £20 a month is an adequate relflection of that, they can go bollocks.
  • Options
    Exactly
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Talking about danger, being a police officer is a pretty dangerous profession.

Lots of jobs can be dangerous. Paramedic, nurse, firefighter, taxi driver, builder...
    But, you're forgetting the stress involved, the regularly cancelled holiday, having work overtime with 20 minutes notice and HAVING to do it. It's not like another job where you can work to rule or swan away at 5pm despite being asked to stay.

I don't dispute the fact that it can be a very difficult and stressful job - but the police is hardly unique here... All of that applies to lots of other professions.
  • Options
    All of that applies to lots of other professions.

and they should be compensated for it.
  • Options
    But, you're forgetting the stress involved, the regularly cancelled holiday, having work overtime with 20 minutes notice and HAVING to do it. It's not like another job where you can work to rule or swan away at 5pm despite being asked to stay.

What's your point? My mum has to do the same thing as well.
    When we ask for a pay rise, it's not just for danger money, it's to reflect the true amount of shit we have to deal with day in and day out from people who are truly horrendous human beings. .

Because your job is the only job that involves getting a load of shit from the public, isn't it?:rolleyes:

So if the police did strike, who is going to help my family if we get burgaled?
    Lots of jobs can be dangerous. Paramedic, nurse, firefighter, taxi driver, builder...

Exactly.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    So if the police did strike, who is going to help my family if we get burgaled?

or beaten up/stabbed etc?
  • Options
    Talking about danger, being a police officer is a pretty dangerous profession. There's a risk of contracting disease, there's a risk of serious injury and there's an increasing risk of being shot due to the government's reluctance to hand out something more threatening than a bat. But, you're forgetting the stress involved, the regularly cancelled holiday, having work overtime with 20 minutes notice and HAVING to do it. It's not like another job where you can work to rule or swan away at 5pm despite being asked to stay.

Even as a PCSO with (supposedly) more rules from the union I regularly have leave cancelled or not even allowed in the first place, and it's stressful. Luckily I'm off for christmas, a few of my colleagues have all been told that whatever plans they have made they have to cancel and they're now working new years eve and new years day.

When we ask for a pay rise, it's not just for danger money, it's to reflect the true amount of shit we have to deal with day in and day out from people who are truly horrendous human beings. And if the government thinks a pay rise that equates to about £20 a month is an adequate relflection of that, they can go bollocks.

You really do think the the poor coppers are poor little victims don't you?

You took the fucking job on the pay and contract that you did, tough shit, if you don't like it quit.

It's a public service job, we pay for wages with our taxes so we have the right to that protection, period.

We've all had leave cancelled and worked lots of hours mate, I regularly do 80 hours a week, so what?

Out of interest - what exactly are you looking for in your payrise, what % or amount would satisfy you??
  • Options
    What ARE you rabbitting on about? I struggle to see how, by demanding three months backpay, at a cost of about £30million to taxpayers, that they're doing anything other than insisting the Government keep to its side of a bargain.
  • Options
    What ARE you rabbitting on about? I struggle to see how, by demanding three months backpay, at a cost of about £30million to taxpayers, that they're doing anything other than insisting the Government keep to its side of a bargain.

Exactly, and all the wittering about how badly coppers get piad obscures the real issue - that Government has broken its side and the coppers, unlike others, have no legal recourse.
  • Options
    Exactly, and all the wittering about how badly coppers get piad obscures the real issue - that Government has broken its side and the coppers, unlike others, have no legal recourse.
    Let's all remember about this the next time MPs vote themselves another massive pay hike. If they voted to raise their pay from January 1st, 2008, I somehow doubt they'd be happy with having to wait until April 1st to get the increase. (though the date April 1st might be far more appropriate for our elected members)

Naturally however, Scots MPs would get the full rise from January 1st. As long as Gordon's alright, after all..
  • Options

I'm "rabbiting" on about his Police Officer victim syndrome, such as
    WhoWhere wrote:
    "But, you're forgetting the stress involved, the regularly cancelled holiday, having work overtime with 20 minutes notice and HAVING to do it. It's not like another job where you can work to rule or swan away at 5pm despite being asked to stay.

"

Like that?

So what, lots of us have stressful jobs and hours we HAVE to work when we don't want too which are over and above what we should be doing.

I also have leave regularly cancelled or can't book it as I work shifts and our man numbers are low.

They aren't the only ones. And lots of people in my company got no pay rise or sub-inflation rises this year.

I don't care about the rest of it, the question is should they be allowed to strike, my answer is no, which is because of the nature of the job.

I am confused about where you mentioned three months back pay, why should they get this?
  • Options
    I'm "rabbiting" on about his Police Officer victim syndrome, such as... I am confused about where you mentioned three months back pay, why should they get this?
    It's a reference to the pay deal. They were told they'd get 2.5% from September 1st. The increase only came in on December 1st. The Police Federation said that meant they were only actually getting 1.9% in effect. The "backpay", as I'm referring to, is the extra money they should have received since September.

And what is all this nonsense about him pretending to be a victim? These are just some of the grievances he has. Sure, you've got them in every job, but does that mean, just cos he's a copper, he can't say anything? I can't see how the police are playing the victim card, and I can't help but wonder why you're seeing that. Is it just your way of shutting down debate?
  • Options

And what is all this nonsense about him pretending to be a victim? These are just some of the grievances he has. Sure, you've got them in every job, but does that mean, just cos he's a copper, he can't say anything? I can't see how the police are playing the victim card, and I can't help but wonder why you're seeing that. Is it just your way of shutting down debate?

The bottom line is that pay should be given too them but only because the goverment agreed.

Not because it's dangerous/stressful/they make you wear tutus etc

Can't you understand my point here?

I don't give a shit if he has to work long hours or has leave cancelled, so does half the rest of country, and in terms of this debate it is of no relevance in my eyes.

Should they get the money? Yes

Because they are stressed? No
    Because they are tired? No
    etc

I didn't say "the police are playing the victim card" either - I said he has victim syndrome.

Any time coppers are mentioned he pipes in about how it's so stressful and dangerous and underpaid etc
  • Options

that is a very well put argument :)
    but - thats the job and you know it before you sign up to it.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    but - thats the job and you know it before you sign up to it.

exactly
  • Options

You took the fucking job on the pay and contract that you did, tough shit, if you don't like it quit.

It's a public service job, we pay for wages with our taxes so we have the right to that protection, period.

We've all had leave cancelled and worked lots of hours mate, I regularly do 80 hours a week, so what?

Out of interest - what exactly are you looking for in your payrise, what % or amount would satisfy you??

Firstly, this isn't my pay rise we're talking about. I get paid differently, and if I get one it'll not be for a few months.

You work 80 hours a week, that's fantastic. As what? I believe you have an IT job. Are you attempting to compare sitting on your arse for most of the week to policing the streets??? lol.
    Yes, the public have a right to protection, if the police go on strike i'll be in exactly the same boat, i'm a member of public as well. But the police have a right to fair pay and conditions. The difference between the police and you is that you have the right to withold your labour if your boss screws you over....which if you're working an 80 hour week it sounds like he's doing on a regular basis.
    The police don't have that right, this isn't about the money it's about the government breaking yet another promise.

As for this victim syndrom thing, pardon me for speaking out in support of my colleagues. You're the sort of person who bashes the police for everything because you've had a bad experience with them, but you're also the sort of person who would shout loudest if there weren't any around. And you really have no clue about danger would you? I gues you wouldn't if your job involves nothing more dangerous than attempting not breathe in ozone as you walk past a photocopier.

Danger is being sent to a street fight as a pair despite knowing there is no backup if things go wrong. Danger is trying to pull a girl out a car whilst live power lines are lying at your feet. Danger is wading into a group of 20 youths and pulling out the 14 year old girl who is getting the shit kicked out of her.
    But, I and my buddies don't complain about any of that, you're completely right. It's the job we signed up for. What we're all pissed off at is the government and Jaqui Smith in particular thinks she can go against a decision that has been reached by an independant organisation and pay us whatever the hell she feels like.

And like I said, so what if I have victim syndrome? I think working for an organisation where you're happy to defend your colleagues is good. Just because you wouldnt give 2 shits about the people you work with because they're all required to work unpaid overtime, doesn't mean I shouldn't.
  • Options
    Danger is wading into a group of 20 youths and pulling out the 14 year old girl who is getting the shit kicked out of her.

Or watching some great-grandmother do it for you, because you're not trained for it? :p Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Options
    Or watching some great-grandmother do it for you, because you're not trained for it? :p Sorry, couldn't resist.

That was their perogative, and one that I most certainly would not replicate. I like to think that I will intervene in a situation like that, and I have done a few times in the past. But then i'm lucky, our force has given us all the powers available to PCSO's, and we're encouraged to intervene knowing that the powers that be will support us when things go wrong. PCSO's in the Met don't have that luxury.