Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Race classifications

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katchika wrote: »
    It cracks me up the way Americans do that. So many of them are like "yeah I'm Irish", just because their great-grandad emigrated from there.

That's just sort of a short hand for saying 'My family has an Irish-American background'.
  • Options
    Americans seem to be obsessed with their ancestors, maybe its to do with that it's still quite a young country and was made up of indians until people from the west moved in. I have no idea who my ancestors are, would like to but it's difficult to trace back records and stuff - never seem to have the time, and you have to pay more often than not.
  • Options
    Classifying races isn't pointless if it's not used to look down on other races. In many circumstances, it's a good thing, i.e. when describing someone. Doesn't necessarily say anything about who you are or where you grew up tho.

Yeah, Americans are funny that way. Even though most europeans would assess them as being americans, they surely like to mingle with their ancestors ethnical origin..." Oh, you're from Norway, do you know xxx ...yeah, sure, as we're only 10 people living on a hill, I'm sure I've seen him" :P
  • Options
    Well Norway is small :p and you're all blonde! Haha, my friend from norway flew over earlier - should be seeing her tomorrow! Not seen her for 6 months!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Well Norway is small :p and you're all blonde! Haha, my friend from norway flew over earlier - should be seeing her tomorrow! Not seen her for 6 months!

Probably a good thing to be blonde then, cause all the girls in britain had fake blond hair :P
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    Classifying races isn't pointless if it's not used to look down on other races. In many circumstances, it's a good thing, i.e. when describing someone.

Why can you not just describe someone? We will happily say "he had brown hair, was quite tall, tanned skin with a bit of stubble" without that being his race.
  • Options
    Why can you not just describe someone? We will happily say "he had brown hair, was quite tall, tanned skin with a bit of stubble" without that being his race.

Because it's much easier to describe someone if you know their race as well. I've done it before. IMO not sure why so many people are so afraid of not being politically correct and call a shovel for a shovel. As long as you don't use it to look down on others as mentioned earlier.
  • Options

In pretty homogenous societies like Northern Ireland it's quite useful, "you know them, <insert name> the black/asian/whatever dude?" I don't see nothing wrong with that.