Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you think of muslim...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...haha, just kidding. It's about wind turbines. Good or bad thing? Is it sensible to trust our energy to something as unpredictable as British weather? We'll have summers with no wind and so no power, and winters with downed power lines because of the wind, and so no power. As for the coastlines being damaged, has anyone actually seen any of these things? They're like a spec on the horizon. Not that Britain's beaches were ever anything worth shouting about anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Good thing.

Oh and it's also generally more windy by the coast than inland. :p
  • Options
    :lol: i very nearly wasnt gonna click on this thread.

I love Wind turbines, I love seeing them, and I cant see any downsides to tapping into our natural resources for a safer energy source (unless youre a birdie flying into one)
  • Options
    Our Tesco car park has them because it's always so windy there. Seagulls always fly into them apparently. Good, I say. Can't stand the fuckers. If only we could get one that hits pigeons as well.
  • Options
    Wind turbins have their pro's and cons. Of course it's good to exploit a natural resource like the wind, but on the downside you need quite a few of them to match a more traditional power plant's output which will demand much higher land usage. Can put them at sea as well, but by imo, it's not very pretty anyway.
  • Options
    I don't mind them, we live about an hour away from one, if you go out onto the country roads you can see it, it's actually very nice! It's up on the hills in the middle of nowhere, cos it's quite windy up here. If they did put them on our beaches, i think they'd need to put them quite far out, as I live pretty much on the beach and to be fair it would spoil the view a bit. That's selfish isn't it! - if it helps our enviroment, though, I'm all for it!
  • Options
    I don't mind them, we live about an hour away from one,

Hehe, it's my thread, but I forgot what it was about for a second, and just read the title, and then this. :D
  • Options
    We have them near us, I really don't see what any fuss is about. They are no more ugly than a nuclear power station (which we also have in the area)...
  • Options
    We're an island so we should make the most of all the sea wind! They're far away so you can't see them too much or hear them. Build more I say, can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    I think they're beautiful... and a good thing, too. More, more, MORE :thumb:
  • Options
    :lol: i very nearly wasnt gonna click on this thread.

Same here.

I love wind turbines, think we should have them all over. I dont see why every house shouldn't have one.

Some people say they are unsightly, but I think they are nice. I would rather see 1000 wind turbines than 1 power station. (Anybody who has been to Hartlepool will understand)

They are also good for the environment. :thumb:
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    Wind turbins have their pro's and cons. Of course it's good to exploit a natural resource like the wind, but on the downside you need quite a few of them to match a more traditional power plant's output which will demand much higher land usage. Can put them at sea as well, but by imo, it's not very pretty anyway.
    It's prettier than this:

ferrybridge3.jpg

And a damn sight cleaner.

We're the windiest country in Europe, or so I hear... Why not harness our wind power? We also have potential for tidal.
  • Options
    Namaste, I agree that wind mills are not the only power alternative that fucks up the view, but you'd need dozens of windmills to match the total output of a nuclear power plant. Better building them at sea then, and tidal generators are also a good option.
  • Options
    Just make sure you dont call any of them mohammed
  • Options
    Namaste, I agree that wind mills are not the only power alternative that fucks up the view, but you'd need dozens of windmills to match the total output of a nuclear power plant. Better building them at sea then, and tidal generators are also a good option.
    Yeah... Well on the North Wales coast they've attracted tourists.
  • Options

I dont think they fuck up the view at all, I think theyre majestic and beautiful actually.
  • Options
    Attracted tourists? Good for wales I guess, but I'd personally prefer untouched wilderness :)
  • Options
    I find them beautiful and interesting in a modern-world-meets-nature kind of way.

I suppose if you don't like tourists then a building a hideous nuclear power station is a surefire way of making sure no-one wants to come within a country mile :thumb:
  • Options
    Attracted tourists? Good for wales I guess, but I'd personally prefer untouched wilderness :)
    Well to be fair, there's plenty of untouched wilderness around. If you don't like them don't look at them... Although I'm actually unsure as to the effects on biodiversity that renewable energies have.

I think that coal factories fuck the wildlife and the planet enough by themselves. If you care about the wilderness, you'll support renewables.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    I find them beautiful and interesting in a modern-world-meets-nature kind of way.

Apparently, they kill a lot of birds ...

They also have a consistent < insert whooshing noise here > which is noise pollution in a quiet place.

But other than that, I agree. :)
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Well to be fair, there's plenty of untouched wilderness around. If you don't like them don't look at them... Although I'm actually unsure as to the effects on biodiversity that renewable energies have.

I think that coal factories fuck the wildlife and the planet enough by themselves. If you care about the wilderness, you'll support renewables.

Yes, there's plenty of wilderness, but replacing all traditional power plants by alternative ones will require vast spaces, so it won't be that easy to not look at them.

In general I support power plants without emissions. Traditional nuclear plants have almost no emissions, but uranium requres quite some time to diminish. A solution to this could be using power plants based on thorium reactors. Together with some alternate power schemes, such as windmills and so on, the power output should be enough.
  • Options
    wind power is for dinghies, nuclear is the future.
  • Options
    Yeah... Well on the North Wales coast they've attracted tourists.
    Places of interest in North Wales - Snowdonia, windmills... wow, two places of interest. What an exciting holiday this will be. Hurry up with those cyanide pills...

I think they look hideous myself. Why do they all have to be the same colour, that dreary shade of white? I think we should let Laurence Llywelyn-Bowen loose on them, it's not as if he's got a lot of TV shows to do at the moment. Seriously though, I think they're a necessary monstrosity.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    wind power is for dinghies, nuclear is the future.
    Although nuclear power plants are apparently not that efficient... The only reason our government probably supports nuclear is that where there's nuclear, there's nukes.

I worry about where the plants will be built too (most likely near poorer communities, as usual... There's actually a report which came out to say that waste producing factories and polluting plants are mostly built in poor black and ethnic areas) and the health implications for people living close to them.

I also worry about how vulnerable these plants would be to terrorist attack and also about the waste produced.

When it comes to nuclear power I'm a cynic. It's just another government greenwash excuse to actually do something in my view. However, if it has to be either nuclear or fossil fuels, we should go for survival and go nuclear and hope we don't have any accidents.

But then we don't have the choice of nuclear or fossil fuels only... We have the option of completely clean energy which will not produce nuclear waste, will not give the means to make more weapons, will not destroy an entire country in the event of an accident and which we have the capacity to build quite easily.

My only issue that I have with renewable energies as I've said is the impact on biodiversity. For example, fish are incredibly sensitive to changes in water temperature and this can impact their breeding cycle. I also do not know how wind turbines affect bird migration, but saying that the issues are probably there with any form of power generation.
  • Options
    exercise bikes with generators could save us from energy and obesity crisis instead.
  • Options
    Wind power is one of the worst CO2 emitters - not from the generation of power itself, but because you need to produce so much concrete, metal for each one. I think it takes about 20 years for them to become carbon neutral.

That's before there impact on the natural environment, wildlife etc. OK a nuclear power station isn't pretty, but it covers a limited area. You'd have to concrete over most of Cumbria before you managed to generate the same amount of wind energy as nuclear powerpoint.
  • Options
    Wind power is one of the worst CO2 emitters - not from the generation of power itself, but because you need to produce so much concrete, metal for each one. I think it takes about 20 years for them to become carbon neutral.

That's before there impact on the natural environment, wildlife etc. OK a nuclear power station isn't pretty, but it covers a limited area. You'd have to concrete over most of Cumbria before you managed to generate the same amount of wind energy as nuclear powerpoint.

Source?

And you're saying that nuclear power stations use less concrete and metal than a set of wind farms? What about uranium mining?
  • Options
    I think they're good idea EXCEPT they're very distracting if you're driving down the road and see one for the first time.

Can't remember where I was - think it was on the drive to Wales and back and there was one right by the road spinning around and around.

If you're not expecting it then it's quite distracting.
  • Options
    lmfao, have this comic image of you swerving over the road , eyes hypnotised by the blades. It would make a good children's tv show, where the country gets loads of these fitted all over the places, but they're really sending out subliminal messages and hypnotising people.
  • Options
    Source?

And you're saying that nuclear power stations use less concrete and metal than a set of wind farms? What about uranium mining?

I'll try and find it - it was a hard copy several years ago.

And I'm not saying that power station use less concrete and metal - but they use less concrete and metal per watt produced (ie they produce much, much more energy)
  • Options
    There's far more water then land in the world - those things should be put out at sea - or at the very least somewhere a little out of the way

Anyway this is potentially a much more powerful design as it will capture the wind higher up.

The length of the wires can be made longer or shorter to catch the wind the most

http://techfreep.com/wind-powered-generator-to-rival-nuclear-plant-output.htm#more-258

kitegen.jpg