Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Yet another shooting in the USA ..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know everyone is aware of this.

My frustration leads me to feel that, until the citizens of the USA rise up against the ownership of guns, they bring this madness on themselves (which does not mean that I feel anyone deserves to die) :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7130504.stm

It happens so often now that :shocking: has become :rolleyes: ... which is very sad indeed.

Comments

• Options
    There is an issue with gun ownership in the USA, although I'm convinced that the answer is to ban it altogether. More stringent checks may be required, certain people could be banned from legally owning a gun... but it's possible that none of these ideas could actually work. Ultimately, if a person is determined enough to find a gun and kill people with it, they will manage to get that gun - legally or otherwise.

And before anyone starts to get too smug, remember about the increasing problem of gun crime in the UK. In our inner cities, guns can be obtained fairly easily if you know the right people. In theory, there is nothing which could stop a gun-wielding maniac from going into one of our secondary schools, colleges or universities and pumping lead into countless students.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    In theory, there is nothing which could stop a gun-wielding maniac from going into one of our secondary schools, colleges or universities and pumping lead into countless students.

More than just 'theory'. Remember Dunblane?

The point is that they seem to have the highest number of 'mass shootings' like this - which must indicate something is terribly wrong. Perhaps its the social setup? I don't know ...
  • Options
    certain people could be banned from legally owning a gun... but it's possible that none of these ideas could actually work.

That's the system already in place. I mean, this kid got it from his dad. If he didn't get it from him, he could have easily gotten one from any relative or anyone whose house he happens to visit. Or he could simply steal it from a neighbour who he knows has one. Basically, even if you're completely sane, no amount of checks can garuntee someone who isn't won't get their hands on it.
    Ultimately, if a person is determined enough to find a gun and kill people with it, they will manage to get that gun - legally or otherwise.

That argument might work for something widely available like drugs, but not firearms. I wouldn't even know who to begin asking for a gun, but I have around 25 numbers in my phone book I could send a text to to get a few pills. And let's face it, the kids that do this shit in America are the geeky loser type - they sure as hell aren't connected enough to get their holds on a gun if they were illegal.

On a sidenote, the guy (apparently) posted on a website I use beforehand, telling everyone what his plans were:

1196909942417nt8.jpg
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    And let's face it, the kids that do this shit in America are the geeky loser type - they sure as hell aren't connected enough to get their holds on a gun if they were illegal.
    Maybe. If I remember from the Virginia Tech shooting earlier this year, the guy with the gun was a total loner. Everyone thought he was a bit odd. I get the feeling this is the portrait that will come out in the next few days here as well. After all, I wouldn't think that the popular guy who gets all the chicks would do this.
  • Options
    Maybe. If I remember from the Virginia Tech shooting earlier this year, the guy with the gun was a total loner. Everyone thought he was a bit odd. I get the feeling this is the portrait that will come out in the next few days here as well. After all, I wouldn't think that the popular guy who gets all the chicks would do this.

Pretty much every shooting that's happened in the US, I've read the stuff the people who knew him say regarding what he was like. That couplied with their pictures (usually scrawny/geeky types) speaks for itself.
  • Options
    Blaming these tragic events purely on gun control (or lack of it) misses the larger point I think. It isnt in large part the number of guns which is the issue it is the society in which they are in.

Canada has almost as many guns as the US but a murder rate that is massively lower, same as the Swiss, they have more guns than they know what to do with but their murder rate isnt that high.

Things like this will continue to happen because there are sections of the society in the US which have gone very wrong.

Having said that no one ever needs an automatic weapon, so they should all be banned right off.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    The point is that they seem to have the highest number of 'mass shootings' like this - which must indicate something is terribly wrong. Perhaps its the social setup? I don't know ...

I highly recommend Mark Ames' "Going Postal: Rage, Murder and Rebellion in America" as the best (and most radical) work on the subject. It looks at the economic setup since the awful Reagan years and points to the places these shootings occur - post offices, schools, other workplaces - as themselves a huge part of the problem.

It is not due to 'sections' of society and one of the biggest things we need to get over is pretending (or believing) either that these people are all insane or victims of "gun culture". The key factor is rage, and if guns were not as widespread it would be bombs (which it sometimes is - look at the attempts at Columbine for the most high profile case) and other weapons.
  • Options
    I know people in a few different social circles that could get me a gun if neccesary.

not trying to sound hard, I've not got one but I don't even live in a city..
  • Options
    I USED to know people I could get guns off, but I don't associate with those people anymore. Anway, guns don't kill people, rappers (er, loners) do. I don' think there's any reason why people should have guns, but if noone wanted to kill people then it wouldn't be a problem anyway.
  • Options
    I highly recommend Mark Ames\' \"Going Postal: Rage, Murder and Rebellion in America\" as the best (and most radical) work on the subject. It looks at the economic setup since the awful Reagan years and points to the places these shootings occur - post offices, schools, other workplaces - as themselves a huge part of the problem.

I have not read the work you refer to, so could you inform me as to whether Mark Ames points out that most, ( if not all ?), of the places that the shootings have taken place happen to be gun free zones.

If so, I wonder if he thinks that is just a coincidence ?
  • Options
    like bb said i don't think it has to do with guns being legal per se, just that there are more screwed up american kids than in other countries.....anyways the yanks will never give up guns without a fight, the counter argument is that if more people in the mall had guns they could have taken him out before he did more damage. not sure i agree with that logic but hey. only time i saw a gun in the US was in the shooting range, so it's not like rambo city over there really.
  • Options
    I highly recommend Mark Ames' "Going Postal: Rage, Murder and Rebellion in America" as the best (and most radical) work on the subject. It looks at the economic setup since the awful Reagan years and points to the places these shootings occur - post offices, schools, other workplaces - as themselves a huge part of the problem.

It is not due to 'sections' of society and one of the biggest things we need to get over is pretending (or believing) either that these people are all insane or victims of "gun culture". The key factor is rage, and if guns were not as widespread it would be bombs (which it sometimes is - look at the attempts at Columbine for the most high profile case) and other weapons.

One of the key factors is rage. Another is sadism. Hence the prevalence of shootings in schools, because the shooters know that the worst thing anyone can contemplate is the death of their own child at a young age. It delights them and feeds their sick fantasies, IMO. The same factor is evident in the timing of this shooting - so close to Christmas, and quite tellingly, among Christmas shoppers. It would have been part of the killers glee to fantasise about how many absent children, empty chairs at the Christmas dinner table, and unopened Christmas presents lying sadly under the tree his massacre would cause.

Sick bastard. Sorry for the language, but such cruelty deserves no other response.
  • Options
    He looks SOOOOOO much like this archaeologist student, sci-fi fan I wanna do. Damn.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    He looks SOOOOOO much like this archaeologist student, sci-fi fan I wanna do. Damn.

Just goes to show ya!!!!! Looks mean damn all. You're fancyman is an archaeologist (potentially), and a fan of good movies. This sadistic, self centred prick, was an empty brained reject from a fast food job, who had no interests outside "being famous."