Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CMOS Battery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello peoples :)

Basically, I have an ol' computer back in 1995, and this is a last ditch attempt to resurrect it. The only problem that's apparently stopping it is the message saying the CMOS battery is running low. This is all well and good, but finding the little blighter has proved very very difficult! In fact, I've taken pictures - if anyone can find it or suggest where I'm going wrong, please help me out! And if there's any info about the system you need...tell me where to find it and I'll get the info. I haven't a clue where the original manuals are so that's why I'm having to ask.

Thank you to anyone who helps out!

Motherboard

And these are two of the attached components which link to the outside to plug in all the attachments.

Here

Aaaaaand here!

Comments

• Options
    Seems like it is not showing on the pic of your motherboard, which is where it should be, probably the cables are blockingthe way... It is just a small flat battery that should be either fix in an horizontal or vertical way on it... Remove all the cables and look closer or post an other pic... Also remember where the cable were plugged... Remove only the IDE and floppy cables tho as the switc cable are a pain to put back on...
  • Options
    It's jsut a flat watch battery sligtly smallter than a 10p, just just pop out.

shouldnt that CPU have a heat sink?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    softworld wrote:
    It's jsut a flat watch battery sligtly smallter than a 10p, just just pop out.

shouldnt that CPU have a heat sink?

I should think it should! Jesus, it must get hot.

And its about a 10p sized battery, move hte IDE cables(unplug 'em) and give us a motherboard shot, WHOLE board, if yer still stuck.

They are obvious mostly, unplug all wires and look then.
  • Options
    i used an old pentium one to kill a spider with the pins, i spiked it good.

it should really easy to see it'll jsut be sitting there, im surprised its low, they usually last a very long time.
    They should make them god damn rechargeable!
    rechargable cmos battery *patent pending*
    dont take my idea!
    >.>
    <.<
  • Options
    Ffft. I only had a flat one once. It wasn't even my PC!

And yet I have a 486 still on its originall battery! I tried to change it. It is stuck though. Balls.

Erm yeah... Rechargeable. Like anyone could be arsed with that :p
  • Options
    no but it should charge with the computer is on! or atleast connected to the mains!
  • Options
    Hello peoples :)

Basically, I have an ol' computer back in 1995, and this is a last ditch attempt to resurrect it. The only problem that's apparently stopping it is the message saying the CMOS battery is running low. This is all well and good, but finding the little blighter has proved very very difficult! In fact, I've taken pictures - if anyone can find it or suggest where I'm going wrong, please help me out! And if there's any info about the system you need...tell me where to find it and I'll get the info. I haven't a clue where the original manuals are so that's why I'm having to ask.

Thank you to anyone who helps out!

Motherboard

And these are two of the attached components which link to the outside to plug in all the attachments.

Here

Aaaaaand here!

Oooooookay. Not good.

Before we start, your picture of the motherboard is somewhat lacking. I think it is a PC-Chips M560 or a rebranded variant, but these boards were used a long time ago so I'm not 100% sure.

If so, then you'll not find a battery as it is part of the real time clock. It is built in to the IC, and you end up swapping the whole chip.

Forget it. If you're planning on using the machine for some kind of firewall that is on 24/7, then just set the BIOS up and leave it running. Replacing the RTC will cost more than a replacement motherboard - you can buy a Celeron or P2 motherboard and processor for under £10 on eBay.
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    no but it should charge with the computer is on! or atleast connected to the mains!

Complete bollocks!
  • Options
    Complete bollocks!
    why not? it would solve this kinda hassle
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    why not? it would solve this kinda hassle

Ah, it was a theoretical statement then, and not a factual one? Sorry, I thought you were saying that it should/does recharge it, rather than it would be a good idea if it did recharge it.

Yes, it's a good idea. But the batteries last for years and years - beyond the useful life of the computer. And they cost 20p to replace, when the machine is 5+ years old.

Incorporating a mechanism for recharging the battery would be a sensible idea, but in the real world it is a pointless excercise.
  • Options
    You're looking for something like this on the motherboard:

cmos+battery.gif
  • Options
    would be an excellent thing to sell as like a pci card, people whould buy it because they would see it beneficial.

"OMGZ CMOS BATTERY CHARGER!!!111one!!eleven!
    DONT BE CAUGHT WITH NO POWERZZ!"

we could get barry scot to sell it, he can sell anything with valour and enthusiasm.
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    You're looking for something like this on the motherboard:

cmos+battery.gif

Go on, point it out on here ;).

m560p.jpg
  • Options
    2 different types of ram? DIMM and whats the other?
    I alos am seeing an absence of a battery...
    time to hit ebay monkay ?
  • Options
    DIMM and SIMM. The ones on that board are 72-pin SIMMs, they were very popular on late 486 and socket 5/7 Pentium boards. Had to be installed in pairs, most popular was 66mhz EDO varieties.
  • Options
    yes my old 95 computer has simms, they had to be interted at 45 degrees and snap in or something crazy.. big bulky chips :)
  • Options
    Aye, you insert them at 45 degrees and snap them back to 90 degrees or so. Mega popular a decade ago. Unseen these days.
  • Options
    i remember being told it had been upgraded and we got it back and it had something like 54mb of ram and everyone was amazed!
  • Options
    SIMMs fucking rock. The little clips cutting the fingers... ahh the days. And stealing SIMMs from school and selling them to mates for their PC's. :D Hehehe.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And stealing SIMMs from school and selling them to mates for their PC's. :D Hehehe.

:lol:
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    :lol:
    What? It was easy... punch out the bezel where the CD Drive would be if my school had any... hand it... clips off. BINGO!

Even took a few processors and HS/F's. And getting a key to a store cupboard was a good one too. :)
  • Options
    guys in my class used to nice packs of floppys, CAT5's, and usb extensions and also XP serial codes even though they probably wouldnt work.
    They also used to set the teachers moniters contrast and brightness to 0, making them think it was broken :p
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    guys in my class used to nice packs of floppys, CAT5's, and usb extensions and also XP serial codes even though they probably wouldnt work.
    They also used to set the teachers moniters contrast and brightness to 0, making them think it was broken :p

Ffft, thats nothing. Killing the server was the most fun. It didn't like being told to play Monster Truck Madness 2 across the whole school as a dedicated server.

Didn't like being used for Torrent either (A mate nearly got expelled for it!). Nor did it like getting formatted once, although in my defense, I thought it was the admin computer, not the server. Wrong one.

I took:
    Memory by the ton.
    10 Processors with HS/F's.
    100's of IDE cables.
    Floppy drives.
    Office 2k (Then lost it :( )
    A couple of HDD's
    Several Mice, for some reason.
    A PSU that exploded.
  • Options
    haha nice one, in one of the IT rooms in our scool thers a cabnet, unlocked, with about 20 laptops in carrybags, they are so easily swiped that im surprised no one has, the teacher woud notice.
    i've always fancied a laser printer though...
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    haha nice one, in one of the IT rooms in our scool thers a cabnet, unlocked, with about 20 laptops in carrybags, they are so easily swiped that im surprised no one has, the teacher woud notice.
    i've always fancied a laser printer though...
    I would have had a laser printer. But they were effing huge...

Tell you what mate, have a laptop, give it here and I'll chuck 20 your way. Deal? ;)
  • Options
    haha im not in that room agin until the 24th i think. all nice Dells and Compaqs etc. only maybe 2-3yrd old tops. maybe not even. We got a whole IT revamp becuase of C2KNI.
    If i got one it'd stay at my home, id format it to get rid of the stupid security polices and network boot crap and then windows/linux it up.
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    haha im not in that room agin until the 24th i think. all nice Dells and Compaqs etc. only maybe 2-3yrd old tops. maybe not even. We got a whole IT revamp becuase of C2KNI.
    If i got one it'd stay at my home, id format it to get rid of the stupid security polices and network boot crap and then windows/linux it up.
    In that case take two. I need a good laptop cheap for WiFi'ing my way round places. And also the cinema has open phone sockets around the arcade that could prove to be fun. Very fun.
  • Options
    i wouldnt take any, im a real chicken shit. plus thers also around 25 other students one of whom is bound to spot me. and the rooms always locked when not in use.
  • Options
    I sent a message to every computer on the college network that Julia had spiders crawling out of her 'ladies bits'. Surprisingly, we never did get together...

Oh my, how a geeks mind works. Fancy a bird? Embarass her, it'll work wonders...

Also showed a few people how to remove semi-completed jobs from the print server. People got most disgruntled when they only had another hour or two before the deadline.

Stole a 'T' piece from the BNC network at my secondary school. Any self-respecting geek will know exactly what happens, and how difficult it was to locate the 'fault' :).
  • Options
    I sent a message to every computer on the college network that Julia had spiders crawling out of her 'ladies bits'. Surprisingly, we never did get together...

Oh my, how a geeks mind works. Fancy a bird? Embarass her, it'll work wonders...

Also showed a few people how to remove semi-completed jobs from the print server. People got most disgruntled when they only had another hour or two before the deadline.

Stole a 'T' piece from the BNC network at my secondary school. Any self-respecting geek will know exactly what happens, and how difficult it was to locate the 'fault' :).

Harsh! They must have had fun.

Best thing I did... was overclock a computer when we found the BIOS p/wd. Then I changed it. Then I set everything to stupid options (look for k/b and mouse on USB, display on onboard when it had a gfx card, boot off CDROM only when it had no CDROM). The technicians went absolutley mad trying to fix it. They didn't seem to know how the reset jumper worked. :eek2:

They used to have some great flaws in security. You could open an explorer window and with a few manipulations acess ANYTHING. So, 1,000 files put on the server called things like "sirc32_worm.exe" etc. That must have shitted them up. And the fun of telling the Admin Office printer to print out an excell document with only one space in the bottom right cell.