Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rape adverts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/manchester/7112941.stm

You can watch an advert from the male and female perspective from a link at the bottom.

What do you think? On first impression, I think it's a good idea to raise awareness, especially coming up to Christmas when a lot of people will be out drinking more than usual.

Comments

• Options
    katchika wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/manchester/7112941.stm

You can watch an advert from the male and female perspective from a link at the bottom.

What do you think? On first impression, I think it's a good idea to raise awareness, especially coming up to Christmas when a lot of people will be out drinking more than usual.

Seems a good idea to me...
  • Options
    hmmmmmmmmmmm......... they played it a bit safe didn't they. I kinda think it's good they didn't show the woman as being completely wrecked or 'out of control' and that they showed her clearly saying 'no'.
  • Options
    Is this how rape really happens most of the time? I dunno. It seems to fit the 'stranger danger' image, when really it's when you come home drunk and your drunk mate starts to take advantage. Or so say the statistics.

Definately a good thing to have more awareness of it though. If people see this then it's making them think, and if they stop and think before it happens then it might not happen. Although I hate the saying, if it stops just one rape occuring then it was worth it.
  • Options
    I think the stats say that a big percentage of victims of rape knew their attacker one way or another (Even if only as an aquaintence) that's why ads like these do need to tap into the way some men think, and reinforce the idea that consent is vital.

I doubt very much that there's anything short term anyone can do about stranger rapes. :(
  • Options
    It seems a bit of a shame that the main incentive given by the ad not to rape someone is to avoid a lengty prison sentence (which we all know hardly ever happens). What about explaining the damage done to the victim?
  • Options
    Just watched them with a mate, quite hard hitting...
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    They should just ban alcohol, I reckon rape rates would drop significantly.

And I'm not even sure people are thinking consciously when they commit these acts. Even my father reckons we are just the sum total and bound by the laws of the universe fying forever by the seat of our pants...

Are you saying that it's easier to rape someone when they are drunk, or that when people are drunk they are more likely to rape?

Personally I don't think alcohol is the problem. Being a rapist, not having any idea about boundaries etc is mostly responsible for rape if you ask me.
  • Options
    That people become weak willed when drunk. I know I do...

weak enough to rape someone :( ?
  • Options
    To be honest J, I'd remind you of your previous warnings for offensive posts around rape. Please spend the time to think about the implications of what you may say if you want to post in here, and bear in mind how close you are to a banning.
  • Options
    They should just ban alcohol, I reckon rape rates would drop significantly.

And I'm not even sure people are thinking consciously when they commit these acts. Even my father reckons we are just the sum total and bound by the laws of the universe fying forever by the seat of our pants...

Dude, give just a couple of seconds thought about what's appeared in your head before committing it to the internet.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    byny wrote: »
    Personally I don't think alcohol is the problem.

I think it's a big factor. Alcohol is involved in large proportion of violent crime and when it comes to murders and rapes that proportion is even bigger.
    A woman who's drunk alcohol is easier to take advantage of and alcohol can bring out violence in men - a recipe for rape.

Though I don't agree with J's view that it should be banned.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    weak enough to rape someone :( ?

I think somebody who's got the ability to rape somebody is more likely to go through with it when they're drunk. Alcohol lowers inhibitions.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think that the most important thing is to change men's attitudes. I think that taking advantage of a drunken/unconscious girl is something that's seen as more of a funny story rather than a sick thing. I mean look at people's reaction to Quagmire from Family Guy. Now it's only a comedy, but the character is almost respected for it and laughed with, compared to Herbert the pervert, who is just laughed at.

Changing attitudes towards drink driving had a similar effect, so it could work.
  • Options
    If you think of rape as an act of control, it's easier to see why alcohol isn't to blame; beer doesn't rape people, men do!
  • Options
    But I'd bet that most rapes occur when the person is drunk (the person doing the raping) I just don't see how they could do it unless they weren't in control?

How about those recent cases with a taxi driver and security guard?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    If you think of rape as an act of control, it's easier to see why alcohol isn't to blame; beer doesn't rape people, men do!

Obviously. But alcohol lowers inhintions allowing people to listen to the little red devil on their left shoulder rather than the little white angle on their right. It allows people to do things that they'd not normally do.

I'm not saying that drunk people shouldn't have to take repsonsibility for their actions, of course they do, but you'd be a fool not to realise that alcohol plays a very big part in violent crimes such as rape.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    How about those recent cases with a taxi driver and security guard?

Were they convicted of rape?

Anyway, you don't think that alcohol is big factor in violent crime? Have you been out in the town recently on a friday night at kicking out time?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Obviously. But alcohol lowers inhintions allowing people to listen to the little red devil on their left shoulder rather than the little white angle on their right. It allows people to do things that they'd not normally do.

I'm not saying that drunk people shouldn't have to take repsonsibility for their actions, of course they do, but you'd be a fool not to realise that alcohol plays a very big part in violent crimes such as rape.

I'm certain it does but the person chose to drink the/that amount of alcohol themselves, it's not actually the fault of the alcohol.
  • Options
    I don't agree with saying "Some people just naturally don't have a strong will" especially with regard to addicts, I think addicts show very strong will to do and have what they're addicted to - it's a strong will that's missdirected.
  • Options

Unfortunately not, no. God knows why though.
  • Options
    I'm certain it does but the person chose to drink the/that amount of alcohol themselves, it's not actually the fault of the alcohol.

Obviously. But alcohol is factor in a lot of violent crime, so to suggest that banning alcohol would produce a drop in violent crime including rapes isn't such an absurd idea. Infact I'm sure it would, but an alcohol band is not something I'd like to see
    I don't agree with saying "Some people just naturally don't have a strong will" especially with regard to addicts, I think addicts show very strong will to do and have what they're addicted to - it's a strong will that's missdirected.

Addictions a very complicated matter. I don't think you can so boradly suggest that all addicts have a strong WILL to be addiced to anything.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Effectively the same?

Na, I think they're opposite tbh.
  • Options
    I think somebody who's got the ability to rape somebody is more likely to go through with it when they're drunk. Alcohol lowers inhibitions.

but that's not the same as saying less alcohol would reduce rape - or is it?

Rape also incresaes during war time. If there was anarchy or war in this country, as a woman, that would probably be my main fear.
  • Options

Anyway, you don't think that alcohol is big factor in violent crime? Have you been out in the town recently on a friday night at kicking out time?

Many many peop;e get completely bladdered and don't do anything illegal or dangerous. IMO people who act like wankers when drunk are usually likely to act like wankers sober.
  • Options
    J, you got 'moaned at last time' for saying that taking a piss in the street is no better or worse than raping a woman because they were both just natural things for people to do. I've sent you enough pm's about this and it isn't trivial - I'm posting here because PMing you didn't seem to work and the way you are talking is going to lead to you discussing exactly the same thing.

Skive is talking about alcohol playing a part in affecting someone's behaviour - you're starting to justify rape as just a natural thing to do again. Please don't.
  • Options
    Yea, I think if we want to look realistically at the profile of a rapist they're probably not for the most part sick sadistic individuals who aren't socially integrated etc. and come out of their shells as a predator to target women. It's a case more likely of a guy and a girl, both possibly had something to drink, the girl says no and the guy goes too far and doesn't stop. But I very much doubt he went out that night with the intention of raping someone.

Not that it's not his responsibility, but if we are considering that people's judgement is impaired when they're drinking, how much of an effect will telling people 'just don't do it' have? I doubt the jail sentence will be a deterrant either. Nor even if we had a higher conviction rate. To me I can only imagine it's not premeditated - the guy may be infatuated or attracted to the girl for some time - but the idea of rape I doubt would enter a reasonable person's mind.

But reasonable men can and do rape, which is wholly unacceptable, and I think whilst not the only reason the 'drink' culture does not help matters at all.

Having said that, it needs to be a multi-tiered strategy. Making women safer - drink bottle stoppers, rape alarms, awareness of not walking home alone, staying in a group etc - and making men have more respect for women. The worrying thing is when people say 'men need to respect women more', there seems the assumption that most men don't. Whereas I think everyone in this thread, on this site, do respect a girl when she says no and say 'ok'. Are we targeting the wrong group of people? Preaching to the choir, etc.
  • Options
    I also agree with what J is saying, although I don't support the banning of alcohol.

I have done so many things when really really pissed up that I would never even DREAM of doing sober.. so god knows what it does to other people.
  • Options
    I only read the first page before I replied lol sorry.. I agree with the first pages school of thought that alcohol lowers inhibitions and also changes peoples way of thinking.. so I am agreeing with the house that thinks that..
  • Options
    Well stats wise I think a rapist is actually most likely to know the person they rape, or be a family member - child abuse still being a very common form of rape. However that's not going to be tackled with a TV ad, obviously this is aimed differently.
  • Options
    but that's not the same as saying less alcohol would reduce rape - or is it?

I think it is. Acohol is a factor in a serious amount of violent crime, that's more than just a coinicidence. It affects people beahviour and in some cases people do things they wouldn't do sober. It think drink may be drink may be reponsible for many rapists going ahead with their crime.
    IMO people who act like wankers when drunk are usually likely to act like wankers sober.

Obviously there's a great deal of truth in that, but I've seen alcohol turn people into very different characters hundreds of times.
    I get angry sometimes but when sober I can easilly control that. Out of the town though after a few drinks if somebody pisses me off I find it incredibly difficult to refrain from getting invloved in a fight. I've got a criminal record though doing some thing violent and incredibly stupid when drunk - somethign I woudl never have normallly done. Of course it's my fault, being drunk is never an excuse and I take full responsibilty for my actions but you can't get away from the fact that I woudl have never have done it if I hadn't been drunk.
    Weekender Offender