Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting Older !!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As of tomorrow I'm going to be 18 and I know that doesn't sound that old but for some reason I feel really weird about it. It's really been bothering me even though I'm really excited about being able to go drinking and that legally.

I love being seventeen and I'm quite scared about being eighteen, I don't know why ! I think it's because I'll actually be an adult and I still feel like a little girl even if I act older at times.

Does any one else get this and has any one got any pearls of wisdom for me ?

Comments

• Options
    im afraid its all downhill from here.

it only seems like yesterday i was 18 and now im mid twenties, not good.

it does have its benefits tho, im now old enough to do whatever i want legally.

i'd eat my own arm to be 18 again however.
  • Options
    I felt like that when i turned 19. it helps having friends who are older so you dont feel so old! I think its the thought of getting closer to not being a teenager which is weird!
  • Options
    It's natural to feel strange about significant birthdays. They really mark a moment and emphasise time and change. But change, and getting older, can bring really positive things to your life.

You get to know yourself better, have more independence, confidence, experiences.

It's something everyone goes through :)

At least you can go to clubs and bars legally now.
  • Options
    ahhh seventeen is such a lovely sounding age. Unfortunately it does all catch up with you and theres fuck all you can do about it. Embrace it!!!
  • Options
    Lol I didn't feel any different when I turned 18, and I still don't. I still do all the same stuff that I did when I was like 15, except now I don't have to worry about getting served alcohol and I can get into clubs! :D

I think it must be when you hit 20 that it really starts to change...anyway, you're 18!!!! Enjoy!!! :hyper:
  • Options
    If it helps, when I turned 18 I didn't feel any different AT ALL.

I turn 20 next year, and that will sound REALLY strange to say.
  • Options
    I would love to be 18 again-but only if I knew what I know now...(if that makes sense...)

PS am 28 and still dont really feel like a "real grown up"
  • Options
    Am I the only one who would hate to be a teenager again!! I'm so much more comfortable in myself now, the world is such an easier place now I'm 22. Teenage angst again? - no thank you!

Nothing wrong with growing up, theres lots of exciting things to look forward to :)
  • Options
    i'm peter pan.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Teenage angst again? - no thank you!

Aye but teenage angst can be sorted with a load of drugs and booze. :thumb:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Am I the only one who would hate to be a teenager again!! I'm so much more comfortable in myself now, the world is such an easier place now I'm 22. Teenage angst again? - no thank you!

Nothing wrong with growing up, theres lots of exciting things to look forward to :)

things are so much easier as a teenager, loads less things to worry about, maybe i had a problem free childhood or something, but it was easy street compared to the big wide world.
  • Options
    thanks everyone feeling better about it

I know 18 isn't that old in the grand scheme of things and at least I'll be able to go out properly and not worry about the hassell of I.D.
  • Options
    thanks everyone feeling better about it

I know 18 isn't that old in the grand scheme of things and at least I'll be able to go out properly and not worry about the hassell of I.D.

Sorry mate, dont get your hopes up, i STILL get ID'd almost weekly, even at Tescos, Asdas and that. Must be the Oil of Olay.:lol:
  • Options
    Yeah but she will HAVE Id and not have to faff about with fake ones and not get in places.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Yeah but she will HAVE Id and not have to faff about with fake ones and not get in places.

Ok mate! they are a hell of a lot stricter now aint they
  • Options
    Yeah, it must be rubbish to be underage nowadays.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

:yes: that's what I ment

I'm gonna pass my fake ID onto my sister lol
  • Options
    Bloody hell, this thread makes me feel old. I though you were going to say you were turning 40 or something. :(
  • Options
    I'm 23 and I think my 20s have been the best years of my life so far! More responsibility yes, but also more freedom ,more experience, more confidence, better dressed!
  • Options
    I couldn't wait to turn 20. I'm 22 now and loving it. :D

The way I saw it, I was finally free to do whatever I wanted and I've mercilessly taken advantage of it so far. Sure, money can be a lot of hassle if you let it but the freedom I've felt more than makes up for it.

You're not old at all. :)
  • Options
    I can't wait to be 18! :hyper:
  • Options
    I do know how you feel...turning 20 and 24 (random I know) were the ones I felt weirdest about. I'm 26 now and even though I'm getting scarily close to 30 it doesn't worry me as much any more. I think you've got the best times ahead of you - my 20s have been a massive roller-coaster ride to be honest but I've learnt so much and on the whole had loads of fun. It's all good! You'll love being 18 I reckon.
  • Options
    Hehe, one of my friends just turned 25 and we spent the entire evening shouting "Granny!!" at her.

:blush: in my defence, we were completely & utterly wasted.

I enjoyed turning 18, but 21 (coming up far too quickly!) is scary! I'm supposed to graduate soon & actually grow up???? Are you kidding???? I'm screwed!! :nervous:
  • Options
    It's quite normal to feel a bit apprehensive about the future, especially at an "important" birthday, but you're only as old as you feel. Even at your age.

I'd hate to be 18 again. I like being in my mid-twenties; I have a house, I have a decent job, I have money, and my teenage angst has fucked off.
  • Options
    I still feel like I'm 15. :chin: :shocking:
  • Options
    i honestly dont believe im more than 17 im still 17 just now im allowed in pubs and all that, i got really freaked out when i hit 20 cos then i could no longer use the excuse of teenage tantrums and thats when everyone seems to expect you to act older. the one im most scared of though is 23 which is gona be next year because then ill have graduated an ill be expected to be a real grown up and also for personal reasons like then ill be older than my sister ever was which is just scarey really.
    enjoy 18 while your there and try to fit in a few tantrums before you turn 20 while you can still get away with it
  • Options
    I felt like this at 21. It was the year I was due to leave university and start living like a proper adult and it scared the bejesus out of me, so did turning 30!

It's natural I think, to feel a bit weird but it gets less weird as you head towards your 40s! In time you will start mixing more with people who are a lot older than you as well as noticing that there are a lot of people in your widening social circle who are much younger than you.
  • Options
    i felt like this when i turned 20, to be fair nothing really changed when i turned 18 but at 20 my whole life was changing. I was leaving uni, getting married, about to start working and going to have to look after my own place, which all at once were pretty scary.

I think the problem for most people (as well as me) was becoming an adult and not being able to fall back onto your parents if things went wrong. Everybody has a turning point, for some it will be 18 and the independance of being an adult, others it will be 20 - 22 when you realise that soon you'll have nobody but yourself to depend on in terms of work, bills etc As long as you don't let it stop you from living your life, its perfectly natural to feel a little worried and scared.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Bloody hell, this thread makes me feel old. I though you were going to say you were turning 40 or something. :(

:lol:

I have had that getting older feeling every year since I was 18 :( I'm 25 now.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    I do know how you feel...turning 20 and 24 (random I know) were the ones I felt weirdest about. I'm 26 now and even though I'm getting scarily close to 30 it doesn't worry me as much any more. I think you've got the best times ahead of you - my 20s have been a massive roller-coaster ride to be honest but I've learnt so much and on the whole had loads of fun. It's all good! You'll love being 18 I reckon.

:yes: Totally agree. Turning 18 I was excited about, but really was just the same as being 17. Turning 20 felt strange as I was no longer a teenager, and I was worried about turning 25 as that whole quarter of a century thing felt old, but the last 7 months since I did turn have probably been the best few months of my life. Feel like everything has finally fit into place now. Graduated uni, got a good job, bought a house and found my perfect guy. Yep 25 has been good. :)