Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

all worth a few Eurofighters I suppose...

An appeal court in Saudi Arabia has doubled the number of lashes and added a jail sentence as punishment for a woman who was gang-raped.

The victim was initially punished for violating laws on segregation of the sexes - she was in an unrelated man's car at the time of the attack.

When she appealed, the judges said she had been attempting to use the media to influence them.

The attackers' sentences - originally of up to five years - were doubled.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7096814.stm

But never mind. Let's continue rolling out the red carpet for the cunts and inviting them for tea with the Queen. At the end of the day "thousands of British jobs could be lost" if we were to treat them like they deserve and they went and cancelled the Eurofighter order...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Theocracies: got to love 'em.
  • Options
    At some point in the future they wont be as useful as they are now and the talk will change, we'll forget who sold them the weapons and they will become a pariah state - exactly the progress Iraq took.

Its not torture thats the problem, its who's doing it.
  • Options
    Quite incredible. But, then we're talking about one of the most socially backward and medieval states in the world; a strict Islamic state with Sharia law...
    King Abdullah has in the past said that he thought a day would eventually come when Saudi women were allowed drive.
    Also BBC.

What next?! Running water? Electricty?

It's absolutely correct that people in the West continue to pressure Saudi Arabia into adopting civilised beliefs towards women and gay people... but at the end of the day the Saudis are sitting on a tonne of oil. Invade? Sanctions? Boycotts? Fancy paying ten times what we pay now for petrol and astronomical levels of inflation?
  • Options
    Lord Palmerston

"Britain has no permanent friends, she has only permanent interests"

Same now as then.

Though when we're no longer friends we can cut off the supply of spares. There's little which is more useless than an aircraft that can't take off because it's missing that vital part...
  • Options
    It's absolutely correct that people in the West continue to pressure Saudi Arabia into adopting civilised beliefs towards women and gay people... but at the end of the day the Saudis are sitting on a tonne of oil. Invade? Sanctions? Boycotts? Fancy paying ten times what we pay now for petrol and astronomical levels of inflation?

I dont think anyone is suggesting that, but perhaps not giving them the Royal welcome might have sent out a bit of a signal that we'd rather they didnt behave like it was the middle ages.
  • Options

Of course, we have to treat them with kid gloves. Any agression towards the nation that saw the birth of Islam will see the whole Islamic world up in arms. Maybe our government think the upside of doing business with them is better than any downside - like the insignificant issue of human rights.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Of course, we have to treat them with kid gloves. Any agression towards the nation that saw the birth of Islam will see the whole Islamic world up in arms. Maybe our government think the upside of doing business with them is better than any downside - like the insignificant issue of human rights.
    Are you being sarcastic there? Can't tell for sure.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic there? Can't tell for sure.

:p

Yes.
  • Options
    Sorry, my sarcasm-o-meter is obviously off today :D
  • Options
    We are.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    They think we behave as if we were in the middle ages. Who's right?

I dont think they see us in the middle ages, just as a godless and heathen society where we dont punish raped women or cut off the hands off thieves.
  • Options
    We are.

:yes:
  • Options
    We are.

I assume you mean we are right, rather than that we are in the Middle Ages? :D
  • Options

If you compare the gutter press from both times I'm sure our children are still going down a moral black hole and people are drinking too much.
  • Options
    You assume correctly :D
  • Options
    Quite incredible. But, then we're talking about one of the most socially backward and medieval states in the world; a strict Islamic state with Sharia law...

Also BBC.

What next?! Running water? Electricty?

Just to point out the context of that quote. King Abdullah actually planned to introduce a law that allowed women to drive, but had to back down because popular opinion went against it. I'd like to think Saudi Arabia was a top-down theocracy, where if we took the top guy out, there'd be parades in the street, but the fact is that a significant majority of the voting population actually agree with these sick actions. And you may point out that all of the voting population are men, but every bit of research says that generally speaking in religious communities, women on average will take an even harder line about it. One of the great ironies that the very people most oppressed by a set of beliefs will be the first to fight for it. Of course I'm not exonerating King Abdullah, after all, it's only as a result of education systems implimented by his government that most people believe this shit so fundamentally in the first place.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    They think we behave as if we were in the middle ages. Who's right?

Well we live longer, are stronger economically, have better technology, have better access to education and health service, have made most of the worlds technological advancements (the west now, not just Britain), and have done it all the while allowing people of any religion to practice as they choose. So make your own mind up from that. In fact one of the main psychological factors in the average suicide bomber is a sense of guilt about the failure of their home country (or country of ancestory) and a sense of temptation from the west.