Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

wearing then returning...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone ever done this??
Bought a piece of clothing, worn it and took it back?

I read a whole article ina newspaper about it a couple of weeks ago.

Only thing I've ever done it was with an expensive dredss from Oasis :blush: . Planned it so I cut the label out, with the tags attached and sewed it back in.

My friend did it with a top she wanted for a halloween costume. Just wondered how commen it is?

Comments

• Options
    fab idea for the cutting the label out and resewing it! Im impressed!

I returned a bra once that i wore for a couple of hours and it was soooo uncomfortable. I took it back
  • Options
    fab idea for the cutting the label out and resewing it! Im impressed!

I dont get it, why would you wanna do that :confused:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    So you can wear it without the tags hanging out/itching you.

Personally I've never done it.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Tsk
  • Options
    I have, but not intentionally. I'd buy something, wear it once and realise it's not suitable so take it back, with the tags in the carrier bag and receipt.
  • Options
    Shops with no return policy piss me off. Never bought something with the intention of wearing it once then taking it back, but I remember buying a pair of jeans from Cult yeaaars ago. Looked fine in the mirror of the super cramped changing room, but realised they were waaay too skinny the first time I was wearing them out. I'd paid 60 quid for them, so to get round their no return policy I took the main/top button off with a pair of pliers and said they were like that when I got them home.

Douchebags own damn fault for not having a return policy, really.

But aye, having worked in a few shops before, there's a trick to removing and putting back on labels. Get a needle (something slightly thicker than a pin) and SLIGHTLY widen the hole where the kimble tag goes through the label. Turn the 'T' bit of the tag on its side and push it through the widened hole. When you want to put the label back on, turn the 'T' on its side again and push it back through. The hole will still be small enough for the tag/label to stay on.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!
  • Options
    I once returned a pair of boots to a shop that I had worn when i got home and found they were really uncomfortable but i'd not actually worn them outside of the house.

When i got to the shop they said the souls were too damaged to take them back, so the shop girl just got out a pair of plyers and ripped off the zip and gave me a refund claiming they were damaged.

Mental..........
  • Options
    gypos do it all the time!
  • Options
    i think its a bit of a slimey thing to do really deliberately, i've bought stuff and got it home and changed my mind and took it back, but i'd never wear stuff out and about and then take it back.

if its really cheap i sometimes dont even bother to take it back, waste of petrol/time etc..
  • Options
    We had a woman come into the shop where I was working (Dune, a shoe shop) and wanted a refund on a pair of shoes that she'd worn for 4 years. We were gobsmacked at her audacity, but we couldn't help but laugh once she'd left (with her shoes and no refund!)....
  • Options
    I recently bought a 100quid top (no im not bragging), brought it home and didn't touch it for about a week. Then, when i wore it i could smell BO everywhere i went. So after about an hour of thinking i was imagining things i took the top off and lo and behold....i could smell BO mixed with some cheap flowery deoderant (mine is the powder scent).

So it's kind of annoying when people wear and return clothes especially when it's expensive stuff.
  • Options
    now thats just ridiculous. i made sure that before i attempted to ask for a refund, there was no damage/stains on the clothes, and they werent stretched or anything. im not that cocky!
    Exactly. But these shoes looked like they'd been hiking up catbells! We checked the catalogue for the same style, and they were discontinued 4 years ago.

I usually only take stuff back that I've bought, and then felt guilty for buying - I bought a pair of Uggs recently, but took them back the next day (unworn) because I couldn't handle the guilt of spending £170 on sheepskin slippers lol.
  • Options
    It's a bit snanky to do it on purpose..I thought I was bad but I wouldn't go that far.
  • Options
    It's not something I would do, or expect anyone decent to do. Sure, buy something and take it back 'cos you change your mind with tags still attached and unworn, but to do it deliberately is just cheap.

When I worked in M&S the number of refunds we gave to skanky people who did this was beyond belief.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    I recently bought a 100quid top (no im not bragging), brought it home and didn't touch it for about a week. Then, when i wore it i could smell BO everywhere i went. So after about an hour of thinking i was imagining things i took the top off and lo and behold....i could smell BO mixed with some cheap flowery deoderant (mine is the powder scent).

So it's kind of annoying when people wear and return clothes especially when it's expensive stuff.

Thats gross :yuck:.

To be fair though its more likely to be expensive stuff people do it too...
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    Thats gross :yuck:.

To be fair though its more likely to be expensive stuff people do it too...
    But why do people feel the need to pretend they can afford expensive stuff, if i'm broke i go to cheap shops.
  • Options
    Yeah but when you buy clothes, it's under the premise that they've been bought, not rented out ;)

I'd be happy to hire nice clothes for a night out, then return them washed or something, would save me a lot of money.
  • Options
    It would be nice if there was a service for that, especially for special occasions. I know my nan rented a hat for a wedding :)

PS When you rent, you do have to pay!!
  • Options
    It always amuses me (I work at Debenhams) when women bring back something they've washed, no tags etc...a woman did this the other day, no tags and I just took them, smelt them (because they smell of washing powder) then explain to her that when we sell jeans the labels are white so when you wash them the dye runs and colours the label and handed them back.

I also like people who are like "I've had it 6 months, it shouldn't be doing this" i.e. a button falling off a coat. I mean if you look after things, in general they last and fair enough if you've had it a fortnight and it's ripped or all the buttons have fallen off, but there is no year long guarantee with clothes. Debs are really good about returns and let some through the net they shouldn't, but I personally won't budge when I know someones out of order so they have to request management to tell them the same thing.

I don't think it is ok to wear something once and bring it back. If you shop around you can always find something nice and cheaper if you look hard enough.
  • Options
    oh for gods sake, i didnt damage the clothes and they looked as if id never worn them! the tag was still intact, they were clean etc so what exactly is the problem? youve never wanted to wear something for a special night but its out of your price range? think of it as "renting" it. and before i get flamed for being "indecent" "skanky" "a gypo" well frankly, its not a regular occurance and i have plenty of my own clothes. i just cant afford to splash out at every oppurtunity.

sorry but if you had worn them, how could they be clean?

do you not sweat? did you not go near anyone who smoked? etc...

if you cant afford to get it, then get something you can afford to buy, or wear something you already have

its really not fair on the person who buys it next imo
  • Options
    Debs are really good about returns and let some through the net they shouldn't, but I personally won't budge when I know someones out of order so they have to request management to tell them the same thing.

Yeah, I'm a bit like that, I work at Asda but on the customer service desk so I have to do George clothing refunds sometimes. Its annoying sometimes though having to get the manager though to say the exact same thing. people just take the piss dont they. do you get people who bring stuff back STINKING of smoke? you know you can just tell its been hung up or shoved in a bag in a room with someone who just sits and smokes all day. it makes me feel sick, i've not worked out what to say yet to refuse the refund. haha.

the wearing things then returning them iv never done. i sort of thought about it with this skirt i got for halloween one year but then my friend spilt beer on it :thumb:
  • Options

the wearing things then returning them iv never done. i sort of thought about it with this skirt i got for halloween one year but then my friend spilt beer on it :thumb:

Haha always a risk...
  • Options
    my mother used to have a clothes shop, and she'd get this group of women buying and returning all the time. i think once she was at an event and saw a woman wearing a dress from her store, and the woman waited until it was my mum's day off before trying to return it. needless to say it didn't work.

personally, i would never do it. if you've seen something you like, save up, or look for similiar things. alternatively, you could half it with a friend who is the same size as you, provided you both like it, and you're reasonably close.

besides, if you'd had an experience like the one with the £100 top, wouldn't you be totally raging?
  • Options
    i just cant afford to splash out at every oppurtunity.

Nor can most people, but the majority of people who've replied to this thread think it's wrong.
  • Options
    wouldnt have the balls to wear and return, besides am so clumsy/messy would have probably have somekind of tear or stain that would give the game away
  • Options
    yeah well i smelt the clothes, and if they did smell of sweat/fags or whatever, then no i wouldnt even attempt to take it back. and i have actually bought a top before, got it home and found it had a fag burn in it!

the thing is though, sense of smell vaires

you can never quite smell your own "smell" like other people can

i have a VERY sensitive nose, i work in a shop and a kid had dropped a wrapped watermelon chewy under a grate in work, no1 else could smell it, but i could smell it for weeks, and no1 actually believed me until the grate was lifed up and there it was....

therefore your sense of it "not smelling" and some1 elses can be v.different

if you wore it, it'll smell, its as simple as that

it'll have picked up the smell of your house, your smell, places you've been...

and even if it doesnt smell, that doesnt make it clean

if people wanted to buy summat someone had already worn, they'd go a charity shop

i'm no having a go...just saying that saying it "didnt smell" doesnt really justify anything
  • Options
    Ewwwwwww what a lot of dirty bitches !
  • Options
    to hijack the thread - i have a topshop cardigan, have had it about two months, worn it once and realised it was too big. They still sell it now, could i get an exchange without receipt or tag claiming i bought it 'last week'
  • Options
    I've never really thought about doing it. If I can't afford to buy something, I don't buy it.

I really really dislike the thought of buying something that someone else has worn before (especially if it's expensive!), so I guess that would put me off potentially doing that to someone else.
  • Options
    this is slightly off topic.
    once i was working at a shop that sold really crappy merchandise, like the type you would buy to use once. There was this really cheap wallet that kept breaking on this woman and she kept coming back to get a knew one and she just wouldnt take a refund :mad: