Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Question for the men

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
o

Comments

• Options
    Pleased. It takes all the risk out of proposing.

It's pretty much what we did.
  • Options
    i'd be taken aback, but ultimately delighted.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    i'd be taken aback, but ultimately delighted.

Totally. To me it would show (it did) a willingness for commitment, and that what the both of you have is so special that she feels that she's ready to take it that step further to really seal a bond between you.
  • Options
    o
  • Options
    I'd be bloody ecstatic.
  • Options
    seaweed wrote: »
    Obvioulsy its tradion for the man to ask and in a way i was dissapointed because now i cant ask her, and i didnt really want to ask her yet if it was up to me, but ultimately i do want to marry her so im happy but had mixed feelings!!!

Yeah, I'm traditional aswell and I'd really like to do the whole asking her dad for his daughters hand in marriage thing, then get down on one knee somewhere nice.

Glad stuff's worked out for you though mate :thumb:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think I'd be glad. I wouldn't have to face a rejection (yes I'm a coward) and also it would break a rather stupid tradition.
  • Options
    I think I'd be glad. I wouldn't have to face a rejection (yes I'm a coward) and also it would break a rather stupid tradition.

I got a proposal rejected when I was 17 and it wasn't all that bad - nobody is nasty enough to say no on the spot while you're bent down on one knee, especially if your sure enough about the relationship to propose in the first place.

Granted it'd be a proper kick in the nuts if you got rejected live on TV or on a transatlantic flight but if your silly enough to do something like that then you deserve it!
  • Options
    I bet sometimes people say yes because they feel a bit pressured into it.. they might not want to hurt their partner's feelings! so at least you know that she definitely wants to get married to you.
  • Options
    a bit off topic but do you guys think there is a suitable time to be together before marriage is on the cards. dont read this as if im considering it, because theres no chance yet.

i find it a bit odd and disturbing when people get engaged after a couple of months or when people get engaged without a plan to get married, they just stay engaged for years.

if i ever get engaged it will be with a view to getting married shortly.

pointless engagements are 10 a penny these days.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    a bit off topic but do you guys think there is a suitable time to be together before marriage is on the cards. dont read this as if im considering it, because theres no chance yet.

i find it a bit odd and disturbing when people get engaged after a couple of months or when people get engaged without a plan to get married, they just stay engaged for years.

if i ever get engaged it will be with a view to getting married shortly.

pointless engagements are 10 a penny these days.

I agree, I would never want to be engaged unless I felt ready for marriage. I guess sometimes when you feel so madly in love you want to express it in some way and so some people think that proposing is a good way of doing that. They're usually young and then break up a few years down the line!
  • Options
    exactly, im always a firm believer in that if 2 people love each other you shouldnt need the stigma of being engaged to prove that you love each tother
  • Options
    Me and Rich got engaged about a month and a half ago...ish, having been together just over a year. We're not going to get married until after I'm finished at uni, and after we've lived together a bit first, so about 4 years. It probably sounds really stupid to do it like that, but we *are* going to get married. If I wasn't at uni, we would be getting married asap, but it's just not possible at the moment.
  • Options
    koe, it depends on what you mean by ready for marriage. We got engaged after going out for about six months, before we'd lived together, but even then the only thing stopping us getting married was money. We had a long engagement because we couldn't afford a short one, but wanted the emotional security of commitment.

It isn't (or wasn't for me) anything about proof, I didn't give a rat's ass what anyone else thought of my relationship, it's about an emotional commitment. That said, though, people took us more seriously when we introduced each other as fiance(e) rather than boy/girlfriend.
  • Options
    I've known a few people my age who have gotten engaged and said 'but we're not going to get married for about 10 years' - it seems quite pointless to me. One of them didnt last more than a few months and the other has been with her guy for ages - but he cheated on her, left her for the other girl then came back with his tail between his legs. So i feel it was more of a way of saying sorry and trying to 'mend' things. Can't really say though.
  • Options
    I think there's a difference between long engagements where they are long due to other circumstances, such as saving up, or finishing uni and ones where they are just getting engaged for the sake of it, and have made no plans towards it.

Luckily for me, we are having a very small day, so we could afford to as soon as he asked me in September, and the wedding is in December, which is just the way I wanted it. :)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    koe, it depends on what you mean by ready for marriage. We got engaged after going out for about six months, before we'd lived together, but even then the only thing stopping us getting married was money. We had a long engagement because we couldn't afford a short one, but wanted the emotional security of commitment.

It isn't (or wasn't for me) anything about proof, I didn't give a rat's ass what anyone else thought of my relationship, it's about an emotional commitment. That said, though, people took us more seriously when we introduced each other as fiance(e) rather than boy/girlfriend.

you see i have bo problems with that, when you got engaged you planned to get married but you couldnt for financial reasons, which is fair enough, a bloke at work was in the same position and had to save for a couple of years, but then went through with it.

but you get loads of shoddy engagements, mainly younger people aged 16-20 who are just getting engaged for the sake of it, like its the next natural step, when it doesnt have to be. people dont need to be engaged to be in love.

for example, my brother and his girlfriend have been together over 10 years, have 2 children and havent got engaged because they couldnt commit to marriage because they'd prefer to do up the house or go away on holiday a few times a year. they are completely suited with it.

the other side is, 18 year old, been together a few months, think they are the one, get engaged, ask them when are you getting married and they have no idea. thats what pisses me off.
  • Options
    you could still ask her :)

at least she's not going to be expecting it... you could say that you really wanted to ask yourself and that you're just confirming your love and your desire to be her husband... or something?
  • Options
  • Options
    I wouldn't complain if she proposed. I'd probably want to propose earlier rather than later anyway as i'd worry if it went on too long without, she might think that it wasn't going anywhere, that I didn't want marriage or whatever...
  • Options
  • Options
    I think there's a difference between long engagements where they are long due to other circumstances, such as saving up, or finishing uni and ones where they are just getting engaged for the sake of it, and have made no plans towards it.

Luckily for me, we are having a very small day, so we could afford to as soon as he asked me in September, and the wedding is in December, which is just the way I wanted it. :)

Aw, congrats :D

I really like the idea of a woman proposing to her boyfriend. I didn't get the chance to do it but I definitely would've and I think it'd have been appreciated.

As for the long engagements, I don't like them but I see the necessity/understand the reasoning... sometimes anyway. We got married very quickly and quietly without any fanfare or extravagance. It suited us and it suited our needs, of course it helped that we could afford the wedding we wanted. Even the quiet, subtle and inexpensive costs an arm a leg and both ears when it comes to weddings. We were engaged from Christmas so I guess that was an engagement of 8 months, never really thought about it... but then a lot happened in that time :thumb:
  • Options
    people thinking or feeling that they are in love is great in my opinion, to get engaged shows a powerful and exciting emotion. who cares if it isn't the real thing? i guess that's upto them to decide and in no way annoys me.