Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Those graffiti artists who got ridiculous sentences...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    z- wrote: »
    true tho at times .. get police standing wasting time harassing you over drinking a tin of beer in public etc etc .. surely theres more productive things to be done :chin:

Depends. You ask what people in a community are worried about and what bothers them, the answer isn't going to be paedophiles. It's going to be "yobs hanging around drinking on the street".

We did a neighbourhood survey, in all the towns we work asking people what they thought their priorities are. They could have picked violence, burglary, car crime e.t.c.
    They picked Underage drinking, illegal parking and litter.

And this wasn't a "representative" survey, the local council and neighbourhood teams canvassed every house in the town, easily 8000 people.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'm not condoning their actions at all, but it was an incredibly harsh sentence for first time offenders,

First Time Offenders or first time being caught .. there is a HUGE difference

They could have done this sort of thing 10 or 20 times before being caught.

Personally I think jail time or shackling them to the train with a long chain and a few cans of paint to put the train back as it was before works for me.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,252 Skive's The Limit
    DG wrote: »
    They could have done this sort of thing 10 or 20 times before being caught.

10 times it was before they were caught.
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    This was not "beautiful art" graffiti,

_44116103_graffiti203.jpg

I think that its looks really good! You obvioulsy don't like it but to some people its an art! i'm one of those people
    I like it too

Plus who gives a shit?> someone painte da train , boohoo, catch the violent fucking rapists first you stupid cunts
    curly_boy wrote: »
    I think that its looks really good! You obvioulsy don't like it but to some people its an art! i'm one of those people

Whereas I don't. It makes the train look cheap and shabby and gives the impression of a higher crime rate.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Whereas I don't. It makes the train look cheap and shabby and gives the impression of a higher crime rate.

Exactly, it really doesn't look good and makes an unpleasant environment for those who have to travel and work on them.
    Does it really matter whether you like it or not?
    No, but the vast majority of people don't like it and it doesn't show a clean and pleasant environment for people to have to travel work in!

If most people LIKED grafitti then it would be perfectly legal to scrawl your tag on somebody else's property. Luckily the vast majority of people see grafitti for what it is. Visible damage that makes an area look and feel a lot more dangerous and unwelcoming than it really is.

You can argue about how much like art it is, but I suggest you read up about the "broken windows" effect and how things like the above, or minor damage or large amounts of litter can quickly increase decay in an area.

I think the issue is really that's it's not their property to do with as they please.

When I went to Ireland I took a 2 hour bus journey to get to the place I was going and I couldn't even see out of the window properly because some idiot decided to scratch their name into the glass.

The house at the end of our road had just been done up and the walls painted white and the next day some idiot came along and sprayed their tag on it ..

These people take it upon themselves to damage other people's property so I think time in jail is well deserved.
    I love it when people say things like this to me. "What you nicking me for, I only took some beer, you should be out looking for real criminals/paedophiles e.t.c.).

Because Paedophiles are obviously everywhere, and they advertise as well. :rolleyes:

I don't really see the validity of no-alcohol zones. It just smacks of lazy policing to me. If i'm on the way to a gig with a tinny on the go and i step into a no-alcohol area, i've committed a crime - crock of shit.
    I don't really see the validity of no-alcohol zones. It just smacks of lazy policing to me. If i'm on the way to a gig with a tinny on the go and i step into a no-alcohol area, i've committed a crime - crock of shit.

When you live in an area that is plagued by supposed "adults" who are old enough to be drinking but decide to do it on the street, you'd probably be thankful that the police are given powers to confiscate the alcohol and put a stop to it.
    The no-alcohol zones don't make it illegal to drink. They make it illegal to drink after you've been told to stop by the police.
    It was illegal to drink on the street in front of my own house in Aberystwyth. Sorry, but that's bullshit. Though tbh, that never stopped me or anyone else chilling on the beach with a few beers.
    It was illegal to drink on the street in front of my own house in Aberystwyth. Sorry, but that's bullshit. Though tbh, that never stopped me or anyone else chilling on the beach with a few beers.

Like I said, the law doesn't make it illegal to drink. It makes it illegal to carry on after being told not to.
    The idea is we use discretion and don't go wading into beach parties or BBQ's and take everyone's beer off them.

Likewise if we see a group of idiots causing problems in the street we will.

A couple of you might disagree with it entirely, the people who live with the problems on their doorstep don't.

And why on Earth would you want to drink on the street outside your house, if that isn't sad I don't know what is.
    And why on Earth would you want to drink on the street outside your house, if that isn't sad I don't know what is.

I'd have thought the sad bastard would be the one drinking alone indoors on a sunny day, but that's just me. Oh, and the street is a promenade, so it's actually quite a nice place to drink.

Just seems to me to be another way for the police to throw their weight around. If people are causing a disturbance, you have the right to move them on anyway. So in this case, what value is a no-drinking zone, where the police are only supposed to move people on if their drinking is causing a disturbance? What relevence does the drink have? They're either causing a disturbance, or they're not. Are you saying that if people are drinking and causing a disturbance in an area that isn't drink-free, you can't do anything about it?
    I'd have thought the sad bastard would be the one drinking alone indoors on a sunny day, but that's just me. Oh, and the street is a promenade, so it's actually quite a nice place to drink.

Just seems to me to be another way for the police to throw their weight around. If people are causing a disturbance, you have the right to move them on anyway. So in this case, what value is a no-drinking zone, where the police are only supposed to move people on if their drinking is causing a disturbance? What relevence does the drink have? They're either causing a disturbance, or they're not. Are you saying that if people are drinking and causing a disturbance in an area that isn't drink-free, you can't do anything about it?

Of course things can be done about it, but arresting someone and taking 2 officers off the street for each person is a waste of resources when you can simply take the drink off them and get rid of them.
    I also don't understand why you think this gives us a chance to throw our weight around. This isn't a law like an anti-terror law that lets us just snatch people off the streets for a percieved wrong against the government. This is a law that lets us help the local community. Nobody likes a gang of drunken yobs stood outside their property, nobody likes it when their windows get smashed or when some thug urinates in their garden, imo being able to fine the idiots doing it more than the standard £80 fixed penalty is a good thing.
    The no-alcohol zones don't make it illegal to drink. They make it illegal to drink after you've been told to stop by the police.

so drink can't be confiscated if you have been told to stop and move on elsewhere? :chin:
    z- wrote: »
    so drink can't be confiscated if you have been told to stop and move on elsewhere? :chin:

It can, but only in a designated area.
    so how can it be confiscated if it isnt illegal?

what if the drinks unopened?
    It becomes illegal to continue drinking after being told to stop. An officer can seize any alcohol that is opened or unopened and can be disposed of anyway they see fit or according to force policy.
    It becomes illegal to continue drinking after being told to stop. An officer can seize any alcohol that is opened or unopened and can be disposed of anyway they see fit or according to force policy.

In Leicester they have parties back at the station :yum:

Just to check - if you're carrying booze they can't just take it off you (assuming you're of legal drinking age) - but if you're drinking, and continue to drink after being asked to stop they're allowed to confiscate it? That makes sense.

Otherwise officers could just go round taking alcohol from everyone for their weekend bbq. (well, not in this weather)

that doesn't make sense to me somehow, going on the previous post :shocking:

also, doesn't add up as to how i got a fully unopened case of beer taken off me then charged for disorderly behaviour when i argued there was no right for it to be done

.. this was before being fucked in a cell for the remainder of the day whilst two policemen conjured up a nice little story, 90% of it untrue, couldn't believe some of the stuff they had wrote in their statement :chin:
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    In Leicester they have parties back at the station :yum:

Just to check - if you're carrying booze they can't just take it off you (assuming you're of legal drinking age) - but if you're drinking, and continue to drink after being asked to stop they're allowed to confiscate it? That makes sense.

Otherwise officers could just go round taking alcohol from everyone for their weekend bbq. (well, not in this weather)

You've got it exactly. UNLESS the following circumstances apply.

You are under the age of 18.
    The officer has reasonable grounds to suspect you will supply someone under 18 with the drink. IE large group, everyone drinking and the 18 year old collects it all in and says it is his.

Z, can't comment on what happened to you, obviously if you've been charged with drunk and disorderly allowing you to keep the beer would be a bad idea. After that, no idea.
    You've got it exactly. UNLESS the following circumstances apply.

You are under the age of 18.
    The officer has reasonable grounds to suspect you will supply someone under 18 with the drink. IE large group, everyone drinking and the 18 year old collects it all in and says it is his.

Z, can't comment on what happened to you, obviously if you've been charged with drunk and disorderly allowing you to keep the beer would be a bad idea. After that, no idea.

nope was just plain disorderly behaviour, wasnt particulary drunk at the time

convienent eh :chin:

not having a go at you btw :thumb: