Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Those graffiti artists who got ridiculous sentences...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »

How is a pair of convicted criminals who have caused £13,000 worth of damage that WE will end up paying for an example of the law prevailing?

More of a case of if you shout loud enough we'll do whatever you want, law be damned.
    Sorry, why exactly was there a massive protest to free them? Causing £13,000 worth of damage most certainly warrants a jail sentence. This was not "beautiful art" graffiti, it was not grafitting disused buildings/warehouses/harmless, it was actually destroying, making working trains ugly, look at this mess:

_44116103_graffiti203.jpg
    Life's a cabaret eh?
    I'm not condoning their actions at all, but it was an incredibly harsh sentence for first time offenders, where their characters should have been taking into account as well - like helping around the community with youth projects etc.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,677 Skive's The Limit
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Sorry, why exactly was there a massive protest to free them? Causing £13,000 worth of damage most certainly warrants a jail sentence. This was not "beautiful art" graffiti, it was not grafitting disused buildings/warehouses/harmless, it was actually destroying, making working trains ugly, look at this mess:

_44116103_graffiti203.jpg
    That looks pretty nice to me, certainly better than most trains.

I don't see how the trains were "damaged". I'm sure they work just as adequately as before. And as long as it's not offensive, I don't see why they shouldn't be put to work as they are.
    They should have been made to lick their work off at gunpoint.

I don't see how the trains were "damaged".

if someone was to put paint all over your car you would say it was damaged?
    minimi38 wrote: »
    They should have been made to lick their work off at gunpoint.

How compassionate.
    That looks pretty nice to me, certainly better than most trains.

I don't see how the trains were "damaged". I'm sure they work just as adequately as before. And as long as it's not offensive, I don't see why they shouldn't be put to work as they are.
    It doesn't look nice to me at all, and by the sounds of it to most people.

Of course the argument of 'what is art' is a very complex one and in a way there are no right or wrong answers, but by tyranny of the majority alone, most of us seem to think the above is unsighty and unpleasant, and since it is also done without permission it is a nuisance and we should try to get rid of it and prevent further instances of it.

Frankly, I can't see how anyone but the author of that graffiti could possibly argue it is art or pleasant. It is an eyesore, and perhaps more to the point it is not conceived as a work of art but as a repetitive 'marking of territory' exercise not unlike a tomcat pissing on walls and trying to assert his authority as the daddy of the local area.

Having said that, a custodial sentence for a first offence seems excessive. I would give them a suspended sentence based on future behaviour, and a few hundred community hours to be spent cleaning up theirs and other people's graffiti. Surely that is more constructive all around than sending a first time offender to jail?
    Territt wrote: »
    if someone was to put paint all over your car you would say it was damaged?
    No, I'd say it was painted on. As long as it worked as well as before (and the glass/mirrors weren't painted on), "damaged" isn't a word that would fit. You might say I wouldn't like its new look, but it would still serve its purpose pefectly as well as it used to.
    Do you think it would have made a difference if they'd been stereotypical 'chav' types rather than long haired 'indie' looking dudes?
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Do you think it would have made a difference if they'd been stereotypical 'chav' types rather than long haired 'indie' looking dudes?

I don't know really. Nobody should be vandalizing property really. I don't agree with the argument that it's freedom of expression and so on.

The thing I objected to, was that it was a first offence, that people who perpetrate much more damaging and serious crimes don't get as harsh sentences, and that the judge had not taken their character into account - that they helped in the community and so on. It was apparent, the judge was making an example of them. Whether that was so he could say it wasn't acceptable and send a 'harsh message' to other spray painters, or whether it was because he just didn't like these two guys - who knows. What I do know, is whatever the motives behind it, it's unfair and unjust to give offenders - for any offense - a harsher sentence than they deserve on the basis that you're 'making an example' i.e. political needs.

In one way, although I don't like to compare them to others who've suffered much worse, it makes them to be a sort of political prisoner.

Which is exactly why on appeal the verdict was overturned. Unless of course, the legal system is so concerned with politics now and how it appears, that they released them because it was what the public wanted. If that's the case, then we'll be chopping off thieves hands, quartering peadophiles, allowing people to torture people who break into their homes, and so on.

The legal system is old, and may be flawed, but it's underlying rule is that it should be at some level detached from politics so it can give an impartial and fair judgement to everyone.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,252 Skive's The Limit
    No, I'd say it was painted on. As long as it worked as well as before (and the glass/mirrors weren't painted on), "damaged" isn't a word that would fit. You might say I wouldn't like its new look, but it would still serve its purpose pefectly as well as it used to.

So you'd be perfectly happy for me to come and spray paint your car then? EVERYBODY's train fares go into removing the shite these people spray on and it is damaging private property, it should carry a heavy fine or criminal sentence.

I must say I've been seeing a lot more train graffiti over the last couple or days and weeks. maybe the courts decision has provided budding artists with some inspiration. :rolleyes:

moregraffitimw6.jpg
    IThe thing I objected to, was that it was a first offence

It wasn't a 'first offence'. They were caught by their work at a number of locations (at least 8) across the North West including several trains stabled in stations and depots.

It is worth noting that about a 5 or 6 train units across the North are out of service right now being cleaned and having graffiti removed as its not a quick and easy job, thats 6 trains that could be extending congested services across the North!

You wouldnt call your car being spray painted on "damage"? What would you call it then?
    Are you even for real? I know what would happen if some little twat spray painted my car, and it wouldn't be me telling everyone "it's just art".
    JsT wrote: »
    It wasn't a 'first offence'. They were caught by their work at a number of locations (at least 8) across the North West including several trains stabled in stations and depots.

It is worth noting that about a 5 or 6 train units across the North are out of service right now being cleaned and having graffiti removed as its not a quick and easy job, thats 6 trains that could be extending congested services across the North!

Yea I agree. It's a shame we can't have 'common sense' law where you're made to fix the damage, rather than go to prison. Give them a pair of jetwashers, get a supervisor, and watch them :).

It applies to a lot of things - if you steal someones car, even if you go to prison you don't need to 'pay out'. I really think that you should have to pay compensation.
    Yea I agree. It's a shame we can't have 'common sense' law where you're made to fix the damage, rather than go to prison. Give them a pair of jetwashers, get a supervisor, and watch them :).

Its a nice idea, but bearing in mind it can take a professional team of 6-8 all day to sort 3 units out then maybe not as practical.
    Damage to me entails some sort of physical abuse of property.

These fellas shouldn't be sent to prison, they should be made to clean it all off or be made to pay monthly installments until the cost to clean it up is paid for.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Damage to me entails some sort of physical abuse of property.

These fellas shouldn't be sent to prison, they should be made to clean it all off or be made to pay monthly installments until the cost to clean it up is paid for.

Yea, I'm not sure I'd class it as 'criminal damage', but rather vandalism. It's like the degree of crime:

criminal crimes are very serious, murder, assault, criminal damage (like arson)

misdemeanors (not sure how they're classed or if they're classed in the UK) are like, anti social behaviour, vandalism, petty theft, harassment - things that are by no means good but certainly not in the same league as beating someone with a crowbar
    Criminal damage has always been strict. Theoretically if you were fooling around in the street and kicked an empty can of beer, and the can impacted against a car and dented it slightly, you could be charged with criminal damage for it.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Criminal damage has always been strict. Theoretically if you were fooling around in the street and kicked an empty can of beer, and the can impacted against a car and dented it slightly, you could be charged with criminal damage for it.

Yea as in the previous thread, the distinction I made was that while a crime may come under a broad heading, our judges have more leeway than in other countries where they have compulsory sentences for a crime, and the issue in this crime was that the sentence did seem very disproportionate to the crime. I don't think the UK system needs changing, I just think this judge made a poor judgement. If (I think it was whowhere or BritJames or someone said) the case is that all crimes in the UK are judged too leniantly that's a different issue and should come from the top courts.

But at a single case level a judge has an obligation to deliver a fair sentence - meaning that it is in line with other similar crimes - and in this case it did not seem at all fair.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    You wouldnt call your car being spray painted on "damage"? What would you call it then?
    Are you even for real? I know what would happen if some little twat spray painted my car, and it wouldn't be me telling everyone "it's just art".
    Where did I say I'd be happy? Don't twist my words. I said it wouldn't be "damaged" because it would still function perfectly.
    1. injury or harm that reduces value or usefulness: The storm did considerable damage to the crops.
    I still would expect them to be punished, and I'd ask them personally to pay for the paint job I'd have done on it. If they didn't have the money, the government should pay and then they'll owe the money to them.
    But it's not "damaged" as long as I can still take it and drive as easily as I did before.
    they should have been made to clean it all off, and pay back the damages in fines...a custodial sentence for a non violent crime and considering they haven't been involved in other crimes would not be right. exposing them to violent criminals that have had experiance in commiting far greater crimes is one of the major downfalls of this countries prison service
    Where did I say I'd be happy? Don't twist my words. I said it wouldn't be "damaged" because it would still function perfectly.

I still would expect them to be punished, and I'd ask them personally to pay for the paint job I'd have done on it. If they didn't have the money, the government should pay and then they'll owe the money to them.
    But it's not "damaged" as long as I can still take it and drive as easily as I did before.

I still think it counts as 'damage'. Theoretically, someone could smash all your windows - the engine still works. They could rip the roof off - DIY convertible.
    I still think it counts as 'damage'. Theoretically, someone could smash all your windows - the engine still works. They could rip the roof off - DIY convertible.
    I see your point I think, but it's not exactly the same.
    If it's good looking graffiti, then I'm all for it. The example pictures that I saw in the article fits in this category. Police time would be better spent cracking down on paedophiles.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Police time would be better spent cracking down on paedophiles.

I love it when people say things like this to me. "What you nicking me for, I only took some beer, you should be out looking for real criminals/paedophiles e.t.c.).

Because Paedophiles are obviously everywhere, and they advertise as well. :rolleyes:
    According to the tabloids, they are! ;)
    Aladdin wrote: »
    According to the tabloids, they are! ;)

:lol:
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I love it when people say things like this to me.

true tho at times .. get police standing wasting time harassing you over drinking a tin of beer in public etc etc .. surely theres more productive things to be done :chin: