Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Horoscopes

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Is there any value in them?

Gemma thinks not - read her rant here.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A-Load-of-bollocks.jpg
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    A-Load-of-bollocks.jpg

Each one of those 'balls' is a bollock? Wow! Must be 'body harvested' from China. :p
  • Options
    P.s. I agree. Horoscopes are mindless twaddle to appease the insecurities of the masses.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why ladies love them so much (horror-scopes, not bollocks). See what I did there? ahahahaha! :yeees:
  • Options
    does anyone actually believe in them? Even those I know who read them find them amusing not accurate
  • Options
    I read mine once in the Independant on Sunday and it just said 'You are a liar' which I thought was a bit harsh.
  • Options
    I sometimes read them but I never believe what they say hehe.
  • Options
    does anyone actually believe in them? Even those I know who read them find them amusing not accurate
    I'm not sure about horoscopes but I know plenty of otherwise-intelligent people who believe in astrology and that we are shaped by our Zodiac sign. Incredible.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I know plenty of otherwise-intelligent people who believe in astrology and that we are shaped by our Zodiac sign.

:yes: me too.
  • Options
    I know plenty of otherwise intelligent people who believe in celestial beings and archaic texts.

I COULDN'T HELP IT, ALRIGHT! :D
  • Options
    I'm not sure about horoscopes but I know plenty of otherwise-intelligent people who believe in astrology and that we are shaped by our Zodiac sign. Incredible.

I obviously dont believe that you can define people purely by the month they were born, but there is research to say that babies born at different times of the year do turn out differently.
  • Options
    I don't believe in horsopes that you read in the paper but I have read up on my star sign and think that I am a typical aries ;)

But then I'm sure if I read other star signs I would be able to pick out other traits that I have.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I obviously dont believe that you can define people purely by the month they were born, but there is research to say that babies born at different times of the year do turn out differently.
    I could go along with that... though clearly it is to do with seasonal changes and conditions on Earth rather than the relative positions of star systems hundreds of light years away.
  • Options
    Just because something's rising in Uranus doesn't mean it's going to affect your life. The sound of your voice maybe.
  • Options

I'd be interested to see that research. How traits are isolated and then attributed to birth times must be some phenomenal research.
  • Options
    I could go along with that... though clearly it is to do with seasonal changes and conditions on Earth rather than the relative positions of star systems hundreds of light years away.

Of course, changes in food patterns are lessening the differences between babies born at different times of the year.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to see that research. How traits are isolated and then attributed to birth times must be some phenomenal research.

This is one of those times when I was hoping for absolutely no follow up questions. I'm sure I heard it on Radio 4, not that they have different traits, but that there seems to be broader groupings in terms of aptitude.
  • Options
    This is one of those times when I was hoping for absolutely no follow up questions. I'm sure I heard it on Radio 4, not that they have different traits, but that there seems to be broader groupings in terms of aptitude.

:D

I'll search the Radio 4 site - and post the link if i find it.
  • Options
    I'm telling the truth, I'm almost totally completely certain I heard something about it on the radio.
  • Options
    Daily horoscopes just based on your sun sign and in a newspaper are a load of crap.
    If you actually look into astrology though and look at ALL your planets and their signs, it will be a lot more accurate. I still dont believe that youd be able to tell whats going to happen on individual days though
  • Options
    I'm telling the truth, I'm almost totally completely certain I heard something about it on the radio.

It wasn't on April 1st was it?:D
  • Options

i know that youre more likely to have different personality problems, more likely to commit suicide, more likely to have schizophrenia etc according to the time of year you are born. I read about it in the new scientist
  • Options
  • Options
    I never tire of calling a good friend of mine who is an astronomist an 'astrologer'. He gets so mad. :D

Horoscopes are such an insignificant part of life I'm amazed she even wasted time ranting about them. I know several people who may read this stuff for amusement or to go 'cool!' if something fits but I have never met anyone who lets horoscopes dictate their lives.
  • Options

I've heard about it. Seems fairly reasonable tbh. Nothing to do with any mystical astrology bullshit though, more about whether you're the oldest or youngest in your class.

Meh, people like the idea of fortune tellers and astrologers, it's just a bit of fun. And tbh, there's got to be some skill in being able to write something that applies to everyone and no-one at the same time.
  • Options
    I usually read them if I flick past them in a magazine, but seeing as you can usually pick up two different magazines, and find that one of them says you are going to meet a gorgeous guy on Friday and the next one says that Friday will be unlucky for you and so stay inside, I don't have ever take much notice of them.
  • Options
    I don't think their real but would read them for a laugh, sometimes you can incoroprate them into your life though.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Not nessesarily. Modern ones most likely are, but there was a definte knowledge and art to astrology and horoscopes back in the day.
    There are cycles of the body that relate to lunar patterns for example and these could be utilised for maximum effect if a story was told which integrated the data and conveyed directions for the future.

'Modern ones'? You mean like in the daily papers? I agree. You can't sum up the day of every Libran, Piscean etc in the world based on a few lines in the newspaper.

If there was 'a definite knowledge and art to astrology and horoscopes back in the day', why is this knowledge not here now? And if this is because it has been lost to us, how do you know that it was ever accurate anyway? There is no proof.

There ARE lots of full-time astrologers out there that delve into the influence of the day you were born, the time you were born, constellations etc based on a 'definite knowledge' theory. Outcome? Still complete mumbo jumbo twaddle.

The truth is, people who rely on horoscopes do not like to believe that they are flying into the face of eternity without any notion of been seemingly in control of their own destinies. Horoscopes offer such comfort that somehow everything is 'ordained'. Yeah, whatever. :rolleyes: You are born, you may or may not have a shit life, and then you die.

Its best to shove those notions out of your head, do the best you can to lead a happy life ('cos you are long time dead), bring happiness to people around you - and take what life deals you on the chin.
  • Options
    I know plenty of otherwise intelligent people who believe in celestial beings and archaic texts.

I COULDN'T HELP IT, ALRIGHT! :D

Why not?

I mean atheism is as much a belief system as religion.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Why not?

I mean atheism is as much a belief system as religion.

Poppy-cock! And there's no way you really believe that.

In what way does my disbelief in a supernatural dictator equate with the dogmas of organised religion?

Edit: Fuck it, this deserves it's own topic.