Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I hate picky eaters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know why I bother cooking for my brother - he never eats it and I don't even get a 'thank you' :mad:, then when mum comes back from work he moans that he's hungry. Does this annoy anyone else, when you cook something and people turn their nose up at it?

Gr rant over.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah my sister will only eat macaroni cheese, but at least she cooks it for herself.
  • Options
    That can't be healthy? My boyfriends housemate is 24 and is a fussy eater and can't cook. All he eats are burgers, chips and pizza. He must feel soooo crap!
  • Options
    Nope, it's not healthy but she doesn't like anything else. Oh sometimes she eats cheese on crackers, and carrot sticks.

What I mean is, of course it's not healthy but she's 17 and won't listen/doesn't care. She's a v grumpy teenager at home.
  • Options
    My step-sister is a picky eater and it annoys me because she's the same age as me but acts about five years younger.

Her diet is literally mash, crisps, chocolate, pot noddle.
  • Options
    I don't really cook for anyone else but me, but yeah picky eaters fuck me off.

I've got a couple of mates who are really fussy eaters and an ex girlfriend of mine was a VERY picky eater and it actually used to infuriate the hell out of me, espescially when she'd refuse to even fucking try something. We had some proper arguments over it. lol
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I don't really cook for anyone else but me, but yeah picky eaters fuck me off.

I've got a couple of mates who are really fussy eaters and an ex girlfriend of mine was a VERY picky eater and it actually used to infuriate the hell out of me, espescially when she'd refuse to even fucking try something. We had some proper arguments over it. lol

That's the worst, when something looks a bit strange (but isn't actually a strange food), yet they refuse to try it anyway.
    Funny thing is, my brother won't eat chicken unless its covered in breadcrumbs or fried, wont eat any veg. Once, we had chicken fajitas, filled his with everything he didn't like (salad, tomatoes, everything!) and told him not to look and just eat it. And he did, and liked it! But put it infront of him where he can see it and he won't.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    That's the worst, when something looks a bit strange (but isn't actually a strange food), yet they refuse to try it anyway.
    Funny thing is, my brother won't eat chicken unless its covered in breadcrumbs or fried, wont eat any veg. Once, we had chicken fajitas, filled his with everything he didn't like (salad, tomatoes, everything!) and told him not to look and just eat it. And he did, and liked it! But put it infront of him where he can see it and he won't.

Yeah I can imagine, that's often the case.

How old is your brother? He may grow out of it, just keep trying to feed him different types of food and he may get used to it.

Alot of the older fussy eaters that I know are the way they are because their parents never fed them different types of food except for chicken nuggets and chips when they were kids, and only ever took them out to McDonalds.
    A mate of mine hates cheese and tomato...but eats Pizza. :confused:
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I know a guy at the local psychiatric hospital who eats picky eaters, though he's slightly picky about the picky eaters who he picks to eat.
    I guess that means he could munch on his fingers if he's really hungry...

what's the appropriate smilie to go here
  • Options
    He's 15. Well, when I do dinner for us when mum works late I've started making him do his himself cause he's old enough. He has mild autism and finds it hard to retain information and forgets stuff (like leaving the oven on). But usually it's because he doesn't try and gives up easily as soon as something is difficult (I also gave him a mini rant about this cause he never bothers with his cw or leaves it til the last minute and then gets stressed). I'm training him though, I just think my mum has spoiled him a bit, but he's got to stand on his own feet one day.
  • Options
    I don't cook for anyone, but do sometimes make my own dinner. I admit that I am slightly fussy/picky but that is mainly due to being on a very strict diet. (no wheat or milk)
  • Options
    Yeah, but I wouldn't call intolerances making you a picky eater - it's a problem rather than choice. I don't eat any dairy at all because it makes me ill, but i'd still say I wasn't picky - dairy is the ONLY thing i won't eat, anything else i'll put up with even if it's not my favourite (except sweetcorn and rhubarb because they are made by the devil).
  • Options
    Ballerina if you know hes a fussy eater why don't you ask him what he likes before you cook it? or cook something you already know he likes? yeah fussy eaters can be annoying (i know, cos i'm one of them :D) but as i've got older iv learnt ways to work round it cos otherwise in some situations you can just seem rude!
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I know a guy at the local psychiatric hospital who eats picky eaters, though he's slightly picky about the picky eaters who he picks to eat.
    I guess that means he could munch on his fingers if he's really hungry...

:lol:
  • Options
    I always get called a fussy eater because I don't eat meat, dairy and try to avoid eating alot of wheat. I'm not doing it to be fussy I do it because I feel better without eating these foods :rolleyes:
    I supose really though in some ways I am fussy with the way things are cooked and the ingrediants used like I won't eat things with certain amount of calories in or certain amount fat in.
    Actually tbh, after reading that, I am a nightmare...:lol:
  • Options
    Ballerina if you know hes a fussy eater why don't you ask him what he likes before you cook it? or cook something you already know he likes? yeah fussy eaters can be annoying (i know, cos i'm one of them :D) but as i've got older iv learnt ways to work round it cos otherwise in some situations you can just seem rude!

Because he doesn't know what he likes, so we give him stuff to try.
  • Options
    I love veg, dunno where I'd be without my huge cucumbers
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I always get called a fussy eater because I don't eat meat, dairy and try to avoid eating alot of wheat. I'm not doing it to be fussy I do it because I feel better without eating these foods :rolleyes:

You must have a very boring/bland diet if you don't eat those foods.
  • Options
    Not really tbh. I never used to eat alot of meat apart from chicken before anyway and I've always ate lots of fruit and vegetables and just experiment with different recipies! And I've never liked chocolate and things like that so I don't miss it.
    Maybe you should give it ago before calling it bland!
  • Options
    I have done, kind of. I'm not allowed any milk or wheat either, but I do eat meat.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I love veg, dunno where I'd be without my huge cucumbers

Unsatisfied ?
  • Options
    I'am a nightmare eater. I drive my parents round the bend sometimes.

I have got a bit better as I've got older. The list of what and how I wont eat/drink things is far too long to list.
  • Options
    I dont like veg apart from potatoes and sweetcorn which used to annoy everyone when I was little. Now they've just come to accept it. Although I do make up for it by eating salad veggies like lettuce and cucumber and I love fruit.

People who dislike a certain type of food don't annoy me..it's just the people who are boring and stick to English food without even trying something 'foreign'. Eurgh :banghead:
  • Options
    I'm not a picky eater in so far as I'll plain refuse a meal but if there's peppers or onions in the meal, I'll be picking them out first then I'll eat what's there. :thumb:
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »

People who dislike a certain type of food don't annoy me..it's just the people who are boring and stick to English food without even trying something 'foreign'. Eurgh :banghead:

Espescially when they're in the foreign country itself, and all they eat is McDonalds...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There are things I don't eat, and annoyingly enough many of them are among the things that people put in other foods thinking it makes them "tastier" (like garlic, onion, basil and more).
    This sucks because if they're present I hate eating the food (to the point where I almost vomit) even if without them it would be a food I like.
  • Options
    I'll eat pretty much anything if it's offered to me, but like Yerascrote if it's got onions in it then I'll be picking them out/moving it to the side if i can taste them.

There is other stuff i wouldn't choose to eat normally, e.g. some of the stuff friends and family eat like chicken's feet, pig's intestines, duck's tongues, etc. Not really a fan of offal!
  • Options
    Yeah my sister will only eat macaroni cheese, but at least she cooks it for herself.

yhea so dose my step brother matt ok dose anyone know how to fix a picky eater:impissed:
  • Options
    mr.slicer wrote: »
    yhea so dose my step brother matt ok dose anyone know how to fix a picky eater:impissed:

Lock them in a room with only food they don't like, they'll eat it eventually. Failing that beat them with a stick or forcefeed them :thumb:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    mr.slicer wrote: »
    Turn them off, open the backplate and place the cables in the correct sockets, then do a full system restart.
  • Options

chicken's feet

Mate, I fucking love Chicken feet!!!

I remember seeing them on the menu in the Joy King Lau when I was a kid and thinking "cool, I'm gonna order them!"
    Ever since, they've been like one of my favourite Chinese dishes, but no takeaways do them! I can only get them when I go to a restaurant in London. :(