Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Time for less tax?

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is productivity a function of time or money though?

Because my understanding it was if you put £1 in to an employee how much do you get out.

Cos wages are pretty high here it's often hard to be extremely competitive, even in Europe.
    but I've heard a lot of people claim that the job centre staff seem to be extremely keen to get you as much money as they can, and recommend disability to people who would've otherwise gone on jobseekers instead.

The opposite happened to me.
    With regards to the jobs, there is a bit of London weighting (my job for a charity in London comes out about #2500 a year more), but that doesn't really take into account the difference in price.

I have a nice house in a nice area here, and my mortgage is for a month what my friend pays per fortnight for a modest flat in a modest area (naff end of Kilburn to be exact). So those who have to pay 75% of their income in living costs are not being spendthrifts, they're paying as little as they can to live in the city they came from.
    I've heard a lot of people claim that the job centre staff seem to be extremely keen to get you as much money as they can, and recommend disability to people who would've otherwise gone on jobseekers instead.

That's partially from a funding issue- incapacity benefit is only paid to those who have sufficient NI contributions, and doesn't attract the same additional benefits (e.g. full HB, council tax benefit, free prescriptions).

Also people who work for the Job Centre know their benefit inside out, but as for work, well there's often limited opportunities. Certainly I end up recommending to a lot of clients that they are better off staying on benefits than they would be in work, and that will continue to be the case whilst housing benefit tails off so sharply.

On a minimum wage job you won't get any help with rent, but you weren't earn enough to make a difference, so you end up working for the sake of working. And with the best will in the world, not everyone can get above minimum wage jobs in supermarkets, and it has nothing to do with education or laziness; if everyone was a CEO then CEOs would be paid at minimum wage.
    g_angel wrote: »
    No - you give me a direct link or two, showing such examples as you said you would.

I will get you links on Thursday/Friday when I'm in work, don't have time now.
    Don't try patronising me, pal.

I'm not patronising you, why did you say that? I just outlined what I knew to be the case with the market? And I'm not your "pal".
    I know all about the Northern Rock situation (along with the B&B and A&L, with HBOS effected a bit. Kensington Group has been hammered as well). Can you provide any links showing clearly UK banks lending at an affordability level of 75%? I can't seem to find any.

So you know all about that, but not about self cert mortgages? The point of self cert and the problem is that most cases you don't need to provide proof of earnings, or if you do, it's easily forged.. so the banks obviously aren't lending 75% in their eyes, because you told otherwise, get it? .... now that, was patronising :rolleyes:
    I am well aware that there is a large subprime market (self certification included) in the UK - but this whole situation has come about from the issues in the US, so it's ALL to do with our pals over the pond as it's forced the rethinking of how credit risk is approached, globally.

What on earth are you talking about, ??? What "whole problem" are you referring too? And it's not "all" to do with the US sub-prime, if you think that then you are very naive.
    I'm not patronising you, why did you say that? I just outlined what I knew to be the case with the market? And I'm not your "pal".

No, you spoon, it was this line that I found patronising - rubbed me up the wrong way for some reason (namely the part following "you know"):

"like the type Northern Rock have been dishing out like cooking, you know, the ones who share price has dropped from circa 12£ per share to £2?"

Not the job thing which you seemed to think it was.

ETA - Hold on, I think your quote went wrong and it may not have been the job thing. Either way, apply my response as needed :D

So you know all about that, but not about self cert mortgages? The point of self cert and the problem is that most cases you don't need to provide proof of earnings, or if you do, it's easily forged.. so the banks obviously aren't lending 75% in their eyes, because you told otherwise, get it? .... now that, was patronising :rolleyes:

Well it might have been had you got the punctuation correct in the last sentence :lol: But no, I didn't find that patronising.

I knew about self cert mortgages, but to be honest, thought the checks were more stringent and so people still wouldn't be able to get themselves into this mess. If people are willing to fuck themselves over, then yeah, I agree, it's their fault (using the example Katralla gave, which is just unbelievable!).

What on earth are you talking about, ??? What "whole problem" are you referring too? And it's not "all" to do with the US sub-prime, if you think that then you are very naive.

What I was referring to, which may have been misunderstood (or rather, badly worded on my behalf), is that the problem was only highlighted when the US markets went all tits up, which then triggered shock waves around the globe. That was why I was referencing the US market, although I admit my wording was misleading when I said it was the whole problem. *holds up hands*

I think there's a few crossed wires going on here mate, and we'll both take a step back and breathe ;)
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I said "I feel guilty" because it's not fair, is it? That those who are from 'disadvantaged' backgrounds are rewarded and those who are just trying to get on with life are not, yet must pay their taxes still, and will continue to do so.

Someone's "background" doesn't really come into it, it's just their current situation.