Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Health In Pregnancy Grants

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do other peoples' health not matter then?
  • Options
    to whom? AFAIK, all 'people' begin as a foetus.
  • Options
    Well, they're planning on giving grants to pregnant women for healthy food, yet don't give anything like to anyone else. TBH, they should either give them to everyone or no-one.
  • Options
    every new person will benefit. Existing people can claim benefits where nec and there's the nhs for when problems do arise. I don't see who misses out, personally.
  • Options
    What on earth are you wittering about sofie?

Pregnant women are a vulnerable group, and need extra vitamins, along with pensioners (who get a nice tidy sum in pension credit instead). They should get an extra payment for it. Everyone else gets benefits that will pay for their food.

And everyone starts as a baby.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I don't see who misses out, personally.

People on low income who aren't pregnant and therefore end up eating junk pretty much?
  • Options
    Oh and just to add about DLA - don't forget there's also Severe Disability Allowance, which is the full on benefit payment to pay to support people who illness is very servere and completely prevents working. hence why DLA is a suppliment, not a complete benefit.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    People on low income who aren't pregnant and therefore end up eating junk pretty much?

It isn't anymore expensive to eat healthily
  • Options
    Doesn't that depend on where you shop and where you live? And it is near impossible when there's hardly anything I'm allowed to eat.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    don't forget there's also Severe Disability Allowance, which is the full on benefit payment to pay to support people who illness is very servere and completely prevents working.

...and hasn't been paid to new claimants since April 2001 :p

It's still paid, of sorts, but its a premium of income support/guaranteed pension credit now. And it's only paid if you qualify through receiving the higher rate care DLA, or the higher rate attendance allowance, and don't have anyone receiving carer's allowance for their care of you.
  • Options
    Doesn't that depend on where you shop and where you live? And it is near impossible when there's hardly anything I'm allowed to eat.

Not really.

Fresh fruit and vegetables are no more expensive than processed foods, its just that people don't know how to cook them or use them properly.

Me and GWST live a very comfortable lifestyle on a food shop of about £40 per week, as we eat very little meat and we get things from the market.
  • Options

So what you mean is, it doesn't seem fair on you because you would also like a £200 grant for healthy food?
  • Options
    Sounds like it.

Sofie, I manage a very healthy wheat free diet at uni, and it's cheap and easy. Fresh fruit, vegetables, rice, potatoe and seasoning goes a long way.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    ...and hasn't been paid to new claimants since April 2001 :p

It's still paid, of sorts, but its a premium of income support/guaranteed pension credit now. And it's only paid if you qualify through receiving the higher rate care DLA, or the higher rate attendance allowance, and don't have anyone receiving carer's allowance for their care of you.

You can get the "Severe disability primium" if you get the medium rate of 'care' in the DLA actually :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    You can get the "Severe disability primium" if you get the medium rate of 'care' in the DLA actually :)

:p

I'm lost half the time without my CPAG book. Especially at 11pm...

It's the enhanced disability premium that's only paid for the highest rate care component of DLA.

:banghead:
  • Options
    Which just goes to show, if Kermit has the handbook, works in the field and the benefits are confusing, how many people are there out there who are not recieving benefits they are entitled to, eh?
  • Options
    The benefits system is an absolute minefield, and that's without getting into the shambles that is the tax credits system.

But that's a whole different argument.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Not really.

Fresh fruit and vegetables are no more expensive than processed foods, its just that people don't know how to cook them or use them properly.

Me and GWST live a very comfortable lifestyle on a food shop of about £40 per week, as we eat very little meat and we get things from the market.

I think you'll find it can be expensive. The food I need to eat costs at least 5 times the cost of the food that you need.
    Sofie, I manage a very healthy wheat free diet at uni, and it's cheap and easy.

For me it's nearly impossible, but then again I've got to wait for the hospital to get back to my GP before they even think about prescriving me any food.

Anyway, getting back on topic:

In that article, it says about 29 weeks, but what happens if the baby is born before 29 weeks?:confused:
  • Options
    ^ They don't have a very good chance of surviving.
  • Options
    True, but surely it's better for the woman (& child) for her to start eating healthy as soon as possible.
  • Options
    golden apples aren't meant to be actually made of gold sofie, they're just meant to be delicious!
  • Options
    What? :confused:
  • Options
    What, what?
  • Options
    I think you'll find it can be expensive. The food I need to eat costs at least 5 times the cost of the food that you need.

Ah yes, I can see how your special gluten-free apples are five times more expensive than my normal gluten-free apples...
  • Options
    I wasn't talking about fruit - I was talking about food in general.