Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'Hell's Kitchen' hit by racism row

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hell's Kitchen has become embroiled in a racism row after Chef Marco Pierre White used the word "pikey" on the programme.

Viewers watched the head chef saying: "I don't think it was a pikey's picnic tonight", which has prompted the Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) to criticise the show.

Full Story

I wasnt aware the word pikey related soley to gypsys and irish travellers. I have heard people use the word pikey to describe a chav. I dont think the word is discriminatory to any one group. Is this really racism ?? We just seem to have gone pc mad !

Im really dissapointed with the Commission for Racial Equality, anyone would think they have fuck all to do and need something to complain about.

Comments

• Options
    No, the world pikey is a deregatory term for gypsies/travellers, the fact that people now refer to "chavs" as "pikeys" is a further extension of that.
  • Options
    It is racist against gypsys. Put it this way, call a gypsy a "pikey" and you'll get an awful hiding. Not sure about his intentions but can see how people can be offended by it.
  • Options
    Yes, I think the problem these days is there a lot of words used without people actually knowing/caring about the meanings and/or origin of the word.

I know I am guilty of accidentally/lazily using offensive words anyway.
  • Options
    I think words that have a history of hatred and discrimination for a 'race' shouldn't be adopted as insults to bandy around. I'm anti n-word, agree that people might object to pikey for similar reason, and am therefore anti pikey-word.
  • Options
    I genuinely believe one of the biggest problems with the n-word is that a lot of black people have promoted use of the word in their inner circles, whether it be on the street, in movies, in rap/hip hop etc.
  • Options
    For those people though, the reclaimation of the work has had a positive effect, where the word was/is still widely used as an insult towards themselves. I think the problem with the n-word's (profusity? commoness? what's the word I'm looking for?) anyway, that has spilled over into people thinking it's now ok to use the word in any company, within friends, and to strangers black or white.
  • Options
    Agreed, but then realisitically, in terms of racial equality, either a term is OK to use light heardedly or not.

For example, the word "puff", I know lots of gay people, and they will get offended and try and preach if for example someone on TV says "god he's a right puff" or something to that effect.

Whereas when they are laughing and joking they can call each other that in jest.

Now for me personally, I think it's the term in which the word is used in which counts.

If someone says ah ya big puff to me in a jestful way, I don't take it as offensive. But if it was "look at those disgusting f*cking puffs" or something.. then it would.. if ya know what I mean>? And I think really that same type of thing should apply to the n-word, if it was to be used by anyone at all, but then it's very complex.

The problem with black people using it in their music etc though, is that I buy their music, and I sing along, which inenvitably means I say the n-word.. and it's kinda daft to sit in my car and sing but censor myself ..?
  • Options
    verbal diarrhoea
  • Options
    The Commission for Racial Equality is a body which should be disbanded immediately. We don't need useless, politically correct quangos with nothing better to do dictating to us what is and isn't racist. Racist attitudes and beliefs cannot be changed by some government-funded crackpot organisation, or by the thought police. That is something society has to do for itself - what a shame our smug, Left-wing establishment refuses to acknowledge that government can't do everything.

There is no race row here. I don't recall being taught at school that gypsies are a race in their own right. I must have been off sick that day. However, I'm always told the same thing when I dare to ask questions of Muslims. Some moron comes along and suggests I'm actually a closet racist. Please. I couldn't care less what colour skin someone has. Gypsies are not a race in their own right.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Gypsies are not a race in their own right.

You must have been sick that day. Romani gypsys derive from India originally, there's also the case that Irish Travellers are a distinct ethnic group. The Shelta language is separate from English. I've actually lived beside a family of Travellers for 2 years, I'd dare you to call them "pikeys", you'd get an awful hiding from them, they're genuinely nice people now leave them alone!
  • Options
    The CRE just love to stick their oar in at every opportunity, don't they.

Derogatory against travellers, yes, but racist? I suppose it depends on whether you think that they are a separate RACIAL group or not. I don't, because the Roma and the Irish travellers are racially no different to anyone else from Romania, Bulgaria and Ireland. They have a separate cultural identity, but that isn't the same thing.

But then the CRE gets more funding every time it invents a new race. Which is why at work we have 27 racial monitoring codes, and only one of them is "white".

I would pay to see Marco Pierre White call a bunch of travellers "pikeys", mind, because I can't stand the twat and he'd look good with a new arsehole.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Derogatory against travellers, yes, but racist? I suppose it depends on whether you think that they are a separate RACIAL group or not. I don't, because the Roma and the Irish travellers are racially no different to anyone else from Romania, Bulgaria and Ireland. They have a separate cultural identity, but that isn't the same thing.

Oh dear. Sometimes you can come out with some shite bai. :(
  • Options
    :yes:
  • Options
    race. noun. any of the major divisions of humankind distinguished by a particular set of physical characteristics, such as size, hair type or skin colour.

*shrug*

It doesn't have to be racist to be offensive and derogatory. And the CRE are a waste of perfectly good oxygen.
  • Options
    It doesn't have to be racist to be offensive and derogatory.

:yes:

The term is used as abuse and is therefore offensive. It's not a term used, in the main, about a specific race.
  • Options
    Except it is used about a specific race aka Gypsies

They may be white, but that doesn't mean they're not a different race from say the Celtic race or the Anglo-saxon race.

Though to be honest its splitting hairs - its like the BNP claiming not to be racist when they abuse Moslems or claims that as arabs are semitic people, that being defamatory about Jews is not anti-semitism.
  • Options
    Except it is used about a specific race aka Gypsies

They may be white, but that doesn't mean they're not a different race from say the Celtic race or the Anglo-saxon race.

It depends on whether you use the strict dictionary definition of race, or whether you allow the self-aggrandizing CRE to set the agenda. After all, the more races the CRE invent, the more people they can vilify as racist.

Personally I'd say that the roma are racially the same as other Eastern Europeans, but culturally they are very different. I don't agree that gypsies and travellers are a separate racial group.
    Though to be honest its splitting hairs - its like the BNP claiming not to be racist when they abuse Moslems or claims that as arabs are semitic people, that being defamatory about Jews is not anti-semitism.

It is and it isn't.

It's foul language and it should be punished, and that doesn't change if the gypsies are a separate race or simply a separate culture.

What gets my goat about this is that the only time anyone condemns foul and abusive speech about others is when the CRE manage to invent a race for the victim. I note that Jim Davidson's comments in the same programme have barely been mentioned...
  • Options
    Personally I'd say that the roma are racially the same as other Eastern Europeans, but culturally they are very different. I don't agree that gypsies and travellers are a separate racial group.

But that's wrong. They originate from India and are ethnically different than your standard European.
  • Options
    Pikey is used in either three ways IMO :

1. Another word for travellers/ gypsies/ carnys
    e.g. 'Yeah there's loads of Pikey's on that field not sure how long they are saying'

2. Description of someone chavvy
    e.g. 'He looks like a right pikey with that earring in!'

3. A term for somebody who steals things
    'She took my earmuffs, what a pikey! She pikes everything, betch!'

.. none of them have any thing to use with colour but I do thing that they are quite derogatory and mean.

Using it the way that Chef did comes across that the 'Pikey' isn't good enough/posh enough sort of a thing .
  • Options
    I think you missunderstand.