Home Home, Law & Money
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dog attacked my dog and drew blood

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was taking my dog a walk and a woman was outsite her gate and all of a sudden this little dog just shot out of the gate and came up to my dog. At first she wanted to play but suddenly turned nasty and was really going for my dog. She was chasing after her and biting her everywhere. Eventually a man came running out and had to pull the dog off and unlock it's jaw from the scruff of my dogs neck. Now she's bleeding from round her bum area. The people were really apologetic and asked to let them know if she needs to go to the vets. But the dogs drawn blood and its near her bum and where she wees so she might get an infection. Should we report it?
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My dog was badly bitten by another dog a while back, you could get half your finger in the wound. If it's drawn blood I would maybe take her to the vets because if another dog has bitten her it will mean it will be infected. She might need some antibiotics or something.

    I wouldn't bother reporting it, it was probably a one off and if the dog was all nice and sweet to begin with then I'm sure it didn't intend any harm. Nothing much would be done about it anyway I doubt.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you taken her to the vets? If not you should, and then the vet might be able to advise you over any steps that you might need to take against the other dog, if any.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's only just happened. I don't know what the wounds like but the blood was dripping on the road. I'll have to wait for her to clean it then have a look. Well they told me that the dog got attacked by another bitch and since then hasn't liked bitches so I dunno if it'll happen again.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Definitely take her to the vets though. They might want to keep her on a drip or something ridiculous to get money out of you but we told them no and took ours home, gave her antibiotics and some gel to keep the wound moist and she was fixed within about a month :D Bill was about £115, much cheaper than if she'd have stayed at the vets for a few days I can imagine!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well my mum won't take her right away, she says to see how she is at the weekend but its an open wound and she's going to be doing her business. I'll have to nag her cause i don't want it to get infected, especially wish waste. Should we take her then forward the bill? We can't really afford a huge bill anyway. What are the laws regarding dangerous dogs though?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well you don't want her licking it. If she's licking her girly bits and then her wound that's not going to be a good combination. Ours had to have a collar on.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Like any animal, dogs can be unpredictable. I don't know if you'll have much luck going down the legal route - it's one of those things with animals anyway. Would you want to press charges or claim compensation?

    As for the dog, I'd take it to the vets to have a look. Though they charge a fortune. If it's a bad cut then they'll stitch it, apply dressing and give her some antibiotics (probably that you need to mix in her food). They may want to keep her in for observation to see if there are any irregular changes in her behaviour but animals are animals and hopefully she'll be quite hardy.

    If you don't want to take her to the vets, have a look at the cut and give it a good wash with disinfectant to make sure it's clean. Might want to get someone to hold the dog whilst you do this so you don't get bit :D lol
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you got a picture of the wound?

    My dog was like this, is it anything like it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well we just looked at her, she's bleeding from the scruff of her neck now (where it had to be pulled off) and there's a puncture there. We checked down below and there a puncture right on her bit where she pees from too. We just phoned the vets and asked them what we should do, so I'm taking her in tomorrow to get some anti biotics and probably a lampshade. They're just holes though, not huge wounds.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Well we just looked at her, she's bleeding from the scruff of her neck now (where it had to be pulled off) and there's a puncture there. We checked down below and there a puncture right on her bit where she pees from too. We just phoned the vets and asked them what we should do, so I'm taking her in tomorrow to get some anti biotics and probably a lampshade. They're just holes though, not huge wounds.

    That's good then :) she'll be alright, just try and stop her from licking it for the time being.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think I've ever been so scared! My dog kept running up to me to get me to stop it and the look on her face was heart breaking. She was yelping and squealing too. Hopefully she'll be ok though. I'm just annoyed more than anything.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i would give the police a call, it wouldnt have been good if it had been a small child
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,269 Skive's The Limit
    Territt wrote: »
    i would give the police a call, it wouldnt have been good if it had been a small child

    Just because a dog attacks another dog does not automatically make it dangerous to people. My mate used to have some rescued fighting dogs and they soft as shite with people. They can make the distinction between people and their own kind.

    This is an accident and a case of dogs being dogs as far as I can see. I can't see what would be gained by reporting it, especially with the RSPCA being a bunch of cunts.

    If the women has offered to pay for vet bills then I think that's where you shoudl leave it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Territt wrote: »
    i would give the police a call, it wouldnt have been good if it had been a small child

    That's what I thought. I've fussed it before though and it's been lovely. They said she's fine with dogs but just not bitches. It's just the fact that it turned so nasty and punctured her twice that's worrying.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    This is an accident and a case of dogs being dogs as far as I can see. I can't see what would be gained by reporting it, especially with the RSPCA being a bunch of cunts.

    But there's a difference between playing and being vicious. It had to have it's jaws prized off. If there hadn't been someone to pull it off i dunno what would have happened. She probably would have had alot more injuries. It's a bit more than playful dog behaviour. I'm not going to report it but it's still worrying.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What Skive said.
    Just because a dog attacks another dog does not automatically make it dangerous to people.

    Indeed. Both of my dogs used to fight with each other, but never did anything like that with adults.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,269 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote: »
    That's what I thought. I've fussed it before though and it's been lovely. They said she's fine with dogs but just not bitches.

    Which in all likelyhood is the truth. There's no evidence at all that it would be a threat to people.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    It's just the fact that it turned so nasty and punctured her twice that's worrying.

    All dogs have the capability to do that.


    If the owner was being blatently irresponsible then it would be worth reporting but from what you say it wa accident on the owners part. It would be a shame to punish both the owner and the dog for that.

    If the RSPCA get involved they can make peoples lives hell. Is it worth that?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote: »
    That's what I thought. I've fussed it before though and it's been lovely. They said she's fine with dogs but just not bitches. It's just the fact that it turned so nasty and punctured her twice that's worrying.

    so they were already aware their dog had a temper, yet it wasnt muzzled.


    Tbh, id take your dog to the vets and forward the bill to the other dogs owners.

    Dogs do fight sometimes and that cant be helped, but if a dog is prone to just attacking another dog and the owners are aware and dont muzzle it, then thats bad.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,269 Skive's The Limit
    so they were already aware their dog had a temper, yet it wasnt muzzled.

    To be fair she said it ran out of the gate and so seems to be a lapse of concentration on the owners part. I wouldn't expect the dog to be muzzled in it's own garden.

    It seems like an accident to me and being that accidents do happen I would leave it at the promise of vet bill payment.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so they were already aware their dog had a temper, yet it wasnt muzzled.


    Tbh, id take your dog to the vets and forward the bill to the other dogs owners.

    Dogs do fight sometimes and that cant be helped, but if a dog is prone to just attacking another dog and the owners are aware and dont muzzle it, then thats bad.

    Well they were aware she didn't like bitches because she was attacked by one but she'd never been this nasty before. We'll give them the bill and ask them to muzzle it. I've never seen it out for a walk though but its always on the garden. They only have a low gate though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A similar thing happened to my old dog, though a man actually set his dog on mine on purpose :rolleyes:
    The best thing to do is just monitor her and keep an eye on her tonight until you get to the vets tomorrow.
    But you can't really blame the dog, it's more the owners you have to be annyed with for not keeping a better eye on it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not the dogs fault because it's been attacked by a bitch, which has made it agressive. They ought to get some serious training for it though. Might get that woman off it's me or the dog in ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aye, my dog was nearly killed by an evil giant dog this time last year, and is still on painkillers cause it messed her up so bad. The police aren't interested in dog-on-dog attacks, I wouldn't bother.

    In fairness to the owners of the other dog, though, they did pay all of my pups vet bills (v steep), and every time we've seen it since it has been muzzled.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've just realised that the dog was an american pit bull aswell! I thought it was but it was white with faint black spots so i wasnt sure. Whats the deal with pit bulls because people say they're banned??
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think they are banned and are known (I think) to be dangerous.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 prohibits four types of dog:

    * the Pit Bull Terrier
    * the Japanese tosa
    * the Dogo Argentino
    * the Fila Brasileiro
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My last dog got badly bitten while he was playing with another dog and it did incurr a vets bill as he had to have antibiotics and stitches. I wouldn't bother reporting it but if you get a vets bill I'd ask them to pay half personally. That should serve as a warning that they need to take a look at their dogs behaviour.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My dad's been ill recently, and my dog has turned very protective of him, which in its way is nice, however once whilst out walking my dog was protecting him against this other dog and that turned nasty. We paid the vets bills for the other dog and dad is avoiding seeing the dog whilst he's still ill.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well we took her to the vets this morning, the vet shaved the bit on her neck to see if it needed stiching but it said it would be alright and it was already scabbed over quite abit. She's had some injections and has got antibiotics to take. Going to take the bill over tomorrow then my dad said he will go round and see them about the dogs behaviour.
    One of our old dogs used to get attacked by a dog and my dad ended up sending it flying with his foot because the guy wouldn't do anything. Plus he's concerned about little kids.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Police won't do anything about a dog on dog attack although if you think it's a pit bull then you could report it saying your concerned, but remeber dogs like bull terriors aren't illegal
Sign In or Register to comment.