Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Underage Sex

Do people think having sex underage is socially acceptable?

According to one poster, having sex underage makes someone a slut and that society hates girls that have sex before 16, so just wanted to see what other peoples opinions were.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its illegal. Enough said. Unless of course you advocate breaking the law.
    rickramone wrote:
    Its illegal. Enough said. Unless of course you advocate breaking the law.

Yeah but we all know most people do break that law.
    I think it's ok as long as they are sensible about it and not like 11 years old or something
    Hmm, I'm not sure. I lost my virginity a couple of months before my 16th birthday, purely because I wanted to do it while it was illegal... there was some sort of status achieved by beating that 'target'. I probably wouldn't have done if that limit wasn't there, or if it was higher. At the time I thought it was great, I thought I was old enough and could handle it. Now I see 15 as very young!
    Well its so common these days. A guy in my 6th form whos 17/18 was sleeping with a 12 year old...the police found out but didn't do anything. Which i thought was wrong. I think most of the time people having underage sex don't really know what they're doing. But if they be sensible about it and aren't drastically young then its not such a big deal.
    We were talking about this in some recent sociology lectures and seminars - apparently 1 in 3 girls have had sex before the age of 16, and just above 2 in 3 but the age of 18.

I look at 15 year olds nowadays and I see them as being really young, but I also remember thinking I was the bees knees and mature as hell when I was that age.

I think if there was more explicit and open education about sex and all the ins and outs (excuse the pun) and ups and downs of it, I'd be happier with people having sex younger.

I also wonder sometimes if young people having sex at that age nowadays actully feel that affected by it. I grew up with the impression that sex was something special, to be shared with someone I loved, and lost it aged 17 to someone I cared about. If I'd lost it drunk or due to peer pressure I'd have been heartbroken and felt terrible. But sex is such a throwaway product these days that maybe this generation don't see it that way. Many people over 20 or whatever don't attach sex to emotion, could it be that young people are growing up with that attitude and therefore underage sex doesn't have any serious implications? Other than STIs etc, or course.
    I don't neccessarily think that having sex when you are underage is unacceptable. It's all of the other things that become much more likely when partners are below the age of consent that I don't find acceptable, such as having sex before you are ready, having potentially unsafe sex by not protecting yourself properly, giving in to peer pressure etc.

If you are having sex for the right reasons and you are fully informed and happy with the decision then I don't care, no matter what age you are.

I don't care either... I mean, I agree wholeheartedly. ;)
    Looks like people here are condoning pedophilia!
    rickramone wrote:

Why is an underage girl (or boy for that matter) having sex anything to do with paedophiles?
    rickramone wrote:

Go away Rich Kid, Chalfont is missing its village idiot and it needs you to return.

There is nothing wrong with underage sex so long as both parties are happy, unpressured, and willing. After all, the age of consent is only arbritrary anyway.
    rickramone wrote:
    pedophilia!

Sex with feet?

Where?
    Kermit wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with underage sex so long as both parties are happy, unpressured, and willing. After all, the age of consent is only arbritrary anyway.
    There is everything wrong with it. Also ask the opinions of the parents concerned. So you think two 11yr olds having sex is acceptable? No wonder our society is in the state its in!!!!
    rickramone wrote:
    There is everything wrong with it. Also ask the opinions of the parents concerned. So you think two 11yr olds having sex is acceptable? No wonder our society is in the state its in!!!!

i couldnt care less about my parentws concerns in come cases
    rickramone wrote:

What the heck are you wittering on about?

Your argument boils down to this: if I sleep with a fifteen-year-old English girl I'm a nonce, but if I sleep with a fifteen-year-old Dutch or Spanish girl I'm not.

Righty-o.
    Sex under the age of 16 is illegal. I won't encourage anyone to break the law, but if people are going to do it before then, I can't really stop them. I haven't got much more to say on the subject than that, other than to say I wouldn't label it as "acceptable" or "unacceptable".
    Kermit wrote:
    Go away Rich Kid, Chalfont is missing its village idiot and it needs you to return.
    I feel sorry for the people of Chalfont now. :(
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Sex under the age of 16 is illegal. I won't encourage anyone to break the law, but if people are going to do it before then, I can't really stop them. I haven't got much more to say on the subject than that, other than to say I wouldn't label it as "acceptable" or "unacceptable". I feel sorry for the people of Chalfont now. :(

I have to say your opinion is your opinion and thats fair enough, but i've never met anyone thats said i'm gonna wait until i'm 16 because before then it's against the law.

Maybe it's just where i live!
    LacyMay wrote:
    I have to say your opinion is your opinion and thats fair enough, but i've never met anyone thats said i'm gonna wait until i'm 16 because before then it's against the law.
    That's almost certainly true.
    I just don't get the opinions of some people that if you have sex before your 16 then you must be a slag, because any decent girl would wait until they were over 16 or whatever.

Obviously you do get like 11 year olds that are shagging about and that apart from being slightly worrying, is a bit slaggish. But i resent the general tag girls get.
    because obviously when you wait till its legal to have sex, it must hurt less, nd be less worry, and that you magically become more mature, its all twaddle really, thing is while everyone and their dog at 15 thinks they are gods mature gift to mankind (and they usually are not), it still doesnt magically change anything when you turn 16
    I know a fair few people my age who sleep around, unprotected. My friend also knows a guy and a girl who are 15 and have been sleeping together for 6 months after being together for a year, using protection, and getting checked for STDs 'just in case', even though there's basically a nil chance of either of them having anything.

It's all numbers - I wouldn't give a lot of 40 year olds the right to have sex, the way many adults behave about it.
    Firstly I reckon that a lot of the younger people probably just say they are having sex rather than actually having it.

Second I don't believe that it's largely socially accepted in the wider sense, though within a particular social group it might be. I would guess that the older the group you question, the less likely they would be to think of underage sex as acceptable.

Assuming that we're talking about underage sex where neither party is preying on the other, I don't see a massive problem with it assuming both people are mature enough. Oftentimes though I'd expect that a lot of people under 16 - and quite a few older people than that - are just not ready, whether they think they are or not. You can see that just from some of the threads in this very forum.
    LacyMay wrote:

Maybe it's just where i live!
    Personally I couldn't have cared less what the law said when I was underage.

But I do know at least a couple of guys who decided to wait until their girlfriends were 16 before having sex with them.
    I suppose all circumstances are different i.e. how mature the individuals concerned are. I wouldnt condone it, of course it goes on and nothing is being done to exactly stop it, as a previous poster said from experience, nothing was done when the police got wind of it going on.

Obviously if one of the members is a lot older then they should really know better, even if it wasn't classed as 'paedophillia'
    rickramone wrote:

I agree with this! :yes:
    Naomi_UK wrote:
    I agree with this! :yes:

Why?

How many eleven-year-olds are having informed sex? Not many.

Are you trying to say that a Dutch or Spanish teenager is somehow magically different to a British teenager?

When it comes to the age of consent, its just arbritrary. Some people are ready at 14, some people aren't ready at 19.
    Kermit wrote:
    When it comes to the age of consent, its just arbritrary. Some people are ready at 14, some people aren't ready at 19.
    Do you think the age of consent of 16 is at the right level, or should be it be higher/lower/scrapped? I'm curious...
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Do you think the age of consent of 16 is at the right level, or should be it be higher/lower/scrapped? I'm curious...

Personally, I think it should be higher. However, if it was higher, would it or would it not make more 'underage' people have sex anyway?
    stargalaxy wrote:

If you're going to randomly choose a date, 16 is as good as any other I reckon.

I just don't think it means a huge amount.

If you're ready to have sex at 15, or even 14, you will do. If you're not ready until 18 you won't.

One thing that lowering it would do is remove the pressure to lose it as soon as its "legal". At 14 most people won't want sex, and won't be having sex.
    Sofie wrote:
    Personally, I think it should be higher.

Why do you think that?

I don't think it would make any difference, and would simply criminalise a lot of innocent teenagers who just want to have sex.

The age of consent should be there to protect young people from predatory older people, not to prevent them from having sex with their peers. That is the purpose of the age of consent.