Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone worried that 'the clock is ticking'?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Life is short so I think it's important to make the very most of it. Especially in your youth, age 17-30 period in particular is when people are at their prime, their most energetic and active. Therefore does anyone ever get worried that they're wasting time, the clock is ticking and they're not experiencing as much of life as they could? eg I do OK with women but often have spells of several months without sex, during these periods I'm feeling I'm missing out, when I go out and go home alone another missed opportunity. People start losing their libido in their 40s normally; I'm already worried that at this age I've not experienced as much as I should have (read: not had enough sex). Similarly do people get worried when stuck in a dead-end or long-hours job, or a monotonous lifestyle, or not travelling enough, that they're not making the most of life? Or are you content with the same old thing and my concept of making the most of stuff not bother ya?

ps. Before anyone lectures me that there's more to life than sex, I really don't know of anything more pleasurable and satisfying. No money, friends, family, etc can beat it a mon avis!

Comments

• Options
    There is little that is pleasurable about simple shagging some bloke after a night out and never seeing them again. Sex is at it's best when it's between 2 people who care for each other. So no I don't feel I'm missing out when I'm single and I don't get.

Spending time with my friends and the people I care for, having a laugh, doing the things I've always wanted to do is what life is about and when I can't for whatever reason, be it money, distance etc then yeah I start to feel I'm missing out on life in some way.
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Life is short so I think it's important to make the very most of it. Especially in your youth, age 17-30 period in particular is when people are at their prime, their most energetic and active. Therefore does anyone ever get worried that they're wasting time, the clock is ticking and they're not experiencing as much of life as they could? eg I do OK with women but often have spells of several months without sex, during these periods I'm feeling I'm missing out, when I go out and go home alone another missed opportunity. People start losing their libido in their 40s normally; I'm already worried that at this age I've not experienced as much as I should have (read: not had enough sex). Similarly do people get worried when stuck in a dead-end or long-hours job, or a monotonous lifestyle, or not travelling enough, that they're not making the most of life? Or are you content with the same old thing and my concept of making the most of stuff not bother ya?

It's an interesting question, and I imagine that a lot of people experience the same dilemma. I can't imagine that anybody wants to think of themself as stagnating and missing the boat in life.

As for me I did a heck of a lot of stuff in my childhood, teens and early twenties so I don't feel I've missed out on anything much. Apart from being rich that is! :banghead:

But I'm happy with what I've done in my life, and I wouldn't wish for a single day back. I'm now just recently 30, so by your reckoning I'm just leaving my prime! :) lol

For me my late twenties were the most constructive period of my life and now pushing into my thirties things are as good as they have ever been.
  • Options
    Some of my friends over 40 are some of the most active, passionate and fun loving individuals I know (and that includes sex).
    Therefore does anyone ever get worried that they're wasting time, the clock is ticking and they're not experiencing as much of life as they could?

No. If there's something that I want to do, I'll try to do it. If I can't, I'll accept that I can't do it for now and find ways I can in future. But I don't see the point of worrying over things that aren't in my control. I'm now a lot happier for it.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    There is little that is pleasurable about simple shagging some bloke after a night out and never seeing them again. Sex is at it's best when it's between 2 people who care for each other. So no I don't feel I'm missing out when I'm single and I don't get.
    Most people here seem to agree with you..I'm the opposite. Nothing for me beats going to a bar or club, meeting a nice girl, having a couple of drinks with her, pulling, taking her back, a fun-filled night..maybe I'll see her again, maybe I won't, but when it's a new girl and things happen that quickly it's just so fun, exciting, thrilling..also keeps me feeling confident in myself. Grass is always greener syndrome but if I'd slept with 60 girls like g_angel007 claims he's had I'd probably feel on top of the world!
  • Options
    Most people here seem to agree with you..I'm the opposite. Nothing for me beats going to a bar or club, meeting a nice girl, having a couple of drinks with her, pulling, taking her back, a fun-filled night..maybe I'll see her again, maybe I won't, but when it's a new girl and things happen that quickly it's just so fun, exciting, thrilling..also keeps me feeling confident in myself. Grass is always greener syndrome but if I'd slept with 60 girls like g_angel007 claims he's had I'd probably feel on top of the world!

Don't take this the wrong way but your life and satisfaction seems quite driven by your penis. :)

There's so much more to life..don't get me wrong, sex is nice and can be really amazing, but there is so much more out there. Other ways of getting a buzz.

I dunno, maybe it's an age thing. I used to enjoy going and and meeting randoms (not sleeping with them though) but it doesn't even enter my head now.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way but your life and satisfaction seems quite driven by your penis. :)

There's so much more to life.

:yes:

To answer the question - it's not something that bothers me right now.
  • Options
    I always think I'm missing out on a lot in life and worry like fuck that I'm wasting so much time but can't seem to come up with a solution to it.
  • Options
    Lol! Well, yeah maybe - I've kinda got everything else (great friends, decent job to pay all bills etc) fine so just take that for granted, whereas sex life is a lot more volatile, when I get it regularly I'm on top of the world that I've got everything I want in life, when I don't I feel it's that one thing missing.
  • Options
    it sounds like you're insecure then.

:yes:
  • Options
    Lol! Well, yeah maybe - I've kinda got everything else (great friends, decent job to pay all bills etc) fine so just take that for granted, whereas sex life is a lot more volatile, when I get it regularly I'm on top of the world that I've got everything I want in life, when I don't I feel it's that one thing missing.

If I had my 'amateur psychologist' hat on I'd say that you have some issues regarding acceptance and you need the affirmation that these encounters give you. But it doesn't exactly seem that you are suffering too much in the process so what ain't broke don't need fixing as they say! :) lol!

I say each to his own. Assuming you are not hurting these girls in the process, and they are also up for what you are offering, then it really is your business IMHO.
  • Options

There's so much more to life..don't get me wrong, sex is nice and can be really amazing, but there is so much more out there. Other ways of getting a buzz.

Loathe as I am to agree with you, I do in this instance. Yes sex can be amazing, gratifying, an incredible release and the perfect way to spend a night but what I miss most about being in a relationship is the constant companionship, the support, just being with someone. Maybe I'm a big softie but I miss that more than the physical side of it.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm a big softie but I miss that more than the physical side of it.

You do have a point though.
  • Options
    super147 wrote: »
    If I had my 'amateur psychologist' hat on I'd say that you have some issues regarding acceptance and you need the affirmation that these encounters give you. But it doesn't exactly seem that you are suffering too much in the process so what ain't broke don't need fixing as they say! :) lol!

I say each to his own. Assuming you are not hurting these girls in the process, and they are also up for what you are offering, then it really is your business IMHO.
    Yes mate absolutely.. as I've discussed on here I've apparantly entirely got the symptoms of being 'insecure' but doesn't bother me as I'm a pretty happy/content person in general.. even when missing the sex part I'm generally fine whereas a lot of people around me seem frequently miserable for god knows what!

And no course I'm not hurting any girls..surely if they're coming home with me having just met they know what they're letting themselves in for. I suppose it could go wrong if they then assume I'm after a serious long-term relationship just 'cos we've slept together but that ain't happened (yet)!
  • Options

Which do you prefer though? A relationship where you can have sex along with the feelings of being wanted, those little hugs that cheer you up, cuddling in bed etc, or the "thrill" of a one night stand which end of the day is just 2 people using each other to get their end off, often when drunk and wake up wondering why the hell did I do that last night?
  • Options
    what I miss most about being in a relationship is the constant companionship, the support, just being with someone. Maybe I'm a big softie but I miss that more than the physical side of it.
    Hmm.. I wouldn't be a fan of 'constant companionship' just because I need my own space at times, I like time to myself, have got my own flat and love it. Just being with someone, wrapped in each other's arms is of course lovely but you can have that closeness without a serious relationship. The 'support' thing, being there for each other, I dunno I can't think of stuff where I need someone's 'support'. Am sure my mindset will change eventually, maybe when I meet someone I love rather than lust.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    Which do you prefer though? A relationship where you can have sex along with the feelings of being wanted, those little hugs that cheer you up, cuddling in bed etc, or the "thrill" of a one night stand which end of the day is just 2 people using each other to get their end off, often when drunk and wake up wondering why the hell did I do that last night?
    Good point..I'd get bored of just having all that with the same one person, all my relationships haven't lasted that long just because I've got bored very quickly, as said things may change if I find true love, but right now my friends getting married in their early 20s and stuff I find that pretty scary that they want to be tied down to just 1 person for the rest of their life already!
  • Options
    I find that pretty scary that they want to be tied down to just 1 person for the rest of their life already!

There's nothing wrong with that. My parents got married when they were young (mum was 23 and dad was 26) and they're still happily married 20 years later.
  • Options
    Hmm.. I wouldn't be a fan of 'constant companionship' just because I need my own space at times, I like time to myself, have got my own flat and love it. Just being with someone, wrapped in each other's arms is of course lovely but you can have that closeness without a serious relationship. The 'support' thing, being there for each other, I dunno I can't think of stuff where I need someone's 'support'. Am sure my mindset will change eventually, maybe when I meet someone I love rather than lust.

I'm not into 24/7 relationships either. They don't have to be like that. I have my own flat and need my own space. I see my bf once or twice a week, that's fine by me. Not all women want to be with their boyfriend every day and night.
  • Options
    Good point..I'd get bored of just having all that with the same one person, all my relationships haven't lasted that long just because I've got bored very quickly, as said things may change if I find true love, but right now my friends getting married in their early 20s and stuff I find that pretty scary that they want to be tied down to just 1 person for the rest of their life already!

I don't see that there's anything wrong with settling down early 20's if you find the right person, but not everyone does. I wasn't ready in my early 20's to settle down and whilst I've always been one for being in relationships, I've had a lot of short relationships where I've got bored very quickly. I've also been through phases where I've had one nighters and whilst they make me feel great at the time, a few days later I always feel like I've lost my self respect and I get insecure.

From a personal "I'm in a lovey dovey happy place" perspective...there's nothing better than being in a relationship with someone who understands your every need, that you don't have to explain how you're feeling to because they just know, someone who can make you feel special, wanted, needed, that person who just to hear their voice brightens up your day and you know whatever is happening when you're with them everything will be ok. But it's taken me 4 - 5 years of knowing him, having dated him for 2 of those previously to be able to feel ready and in a place to accept the feelings I have for him because I wasn't ready to settle down and be commited to anyone.
  • Options
    I'm not into 24/7 relationships either. They don't have to be like that. I have my own flat and need my own space. I see my bf once or twice a week, that's fine by me. Not all women want to be with their boyfriend every day and night.

And to be honest, I wouldn't want a girlfriend that wanted that. I need my space and I wouldn't want to have a girlfriend who didn't want time to themselves either. Not being comfortable in your own company is not an attractive feature.
  • Options
    but if I'd slept with 60 girls like g_angel007 claims he's had I'd probably feel on top of the world!

:lol:

Nah - this isn's something that makes me feel on top of the world. Hell, I can hardly remember most of them, to be honest!!

If I sleep with somebody I'm not in a relationship with, it's just something that happens. I certainly don't make or feel like it's a big deal, or whoop and cheer that I've 'scored another notch' :no:

I just find sex fun, it's no big deal and if it happens, it happens :)

In the long term, I'm thinking I would possibly like a relationship - but I rarely find somebody that I can see that happening with. Now I am permanently back in London (well, fingers crossed), we'll see what happens. I'm either going to end up sleeping with a load more randoms... or maybe find somebody to spend some time with. We'll see.

Oh - and for the record, I'm 28, so a little older than many users of this place.
  • Options
    youth is wasted on the young!
  • Options
    Getting your leg over every other weekend with somebody different is alright for some people, but I don't think everybodys like that. I can honestly take or leave casual sex like I can take or leave spaghetti bolognese, if it's there on a plate for me then I'll take it like the next boy but it won't prey on my mind if I don't have it for a few weeks.

I'm know very emotionally immature and I think I'm a better person to be around when I'm single and there's nobody special on the scene. That's it really, I'm 23 but I'm really still quite naive about how healthy relationships work and how to be assertive within a relationship.

I could probably do with a bit more life experience though, but sleeping around isn't really the way to go and get it.
  • Options
    Ricardo if you slept with 60 girls I think you'd feel a bit of a waste, you'd start wondering "is this it? is this all i'm capable of?" spending time with a gorgeous girl and playing with each others emotions, teasing is the most fun, go places, have romantic evenings and "fun-filled" nights, so much more fun than sex with some dirty ho!

I think you're probably going to receive a flaming for the last comment in that paragraph mate... You REALLY need to think more about what you're typing. So, a girl who has a one night stand is a dirty ho, huh? :yeees: I'm not going to enter into some argument with you - but you do yourself absolutely no favours on here with your ill thought out, even flippant derogatory comments against women. :rolleyes:

Being the person who HAS slept with 60 women, I don't even feel that number is high. I certainly don't feel a waste, nor that it is all I am capable of, mainly because I haven't been sleeping with people as a way to "prove myself", or improve my self esteem. If somebody *is* doing that, then they really need to address their situation. I've been single for coming up 7 years now (apart from a few 2-3 month flings here and there), and so if I've met somebody and it's been on the cards, then the person I have been with and I have both made the decision to have sex.

Sure, relationships can be great, but that's not what I have been wanting for the past few years.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »

Sure, relationships can be great, but that's not what I have been wanting for the past few years.

Same.
  • Options

If I sleep with somebody I'm not in a relationship with, it's just something that happens. I certainly don't make or feel like it's a big deal, or whoop and cheer that I've 'scored another notch' :no:

You liar! :p

I'm not really fussed if i go without sex, or a relationship or whatever. Way i see it is i'm gonna be this attractive for many years to come so whats the hurry :chin: :D
  • Options
    I think you're probably going to receive a flaming for the last comment in that paragraph mate... You REALLY need to think more about what you're typing. So, a girl who has a one night stand is a dirty ho, huh? :yeees: I'm not going to enter into some argument with you - but you do yourself absolutely no favours on here with your ill thought out, even flippant derogatory comments against women. :rolleyes:
    You are my new personal hero.
  • Options
    MLY wrote: »
    Way i see it is i'm gonna be this attractive for many years to come so whats the hurry :chin: :D
    That's another thing that's bugging me.. I'm generally most attracted to girls age around 17-20 (at a stretch 15-16 but no way would I do anything with them now!), that's when I think they're most attractive, fun/playful..and I didn't really get to experience much fun with them when the time was right - never went out during 6th form as I was in a boring village and couldn't drive, had my first kiss at uni. I've entirely missed out the Hollyoaks or Home & Away style period of fun teenage relationships.
  • Options
    Sleeping around is piss easy
    Easy for some mate! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Bars and clubs in London are too competitive, there's more guys than girls, some are really aggressive..so at best 1 in 10 times I go out do I manage to pull, of them maybe half are willing to come back home but not that many are up for sex given we just met.

And yes I'm totally aware of 'grass is always greener' syndrome, if I had slept with 60 girls there'd probably be something else I'm not content about..in fact a couple of the biggest 'studs' I know of are manic depressives.
  • Options
    Bars and clubs in London are too competitive, there's more guys than girls, some are really aggressive..so at best 1 in 10 times I go out do I manage to pull, of them maybe half are willing to come back home but not that many are up for sex given we just met.

You're trying to hard, just go out without the expectation of pulling. You'll have more of a chance of actually pulling then because you'll come across as a cool, calm and relaxed guy instead of some desperate hobo checking out the "talent."