Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

charity fraud???????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if you knew somebody who had claimed money off people for a charitable cause but then they kept the money and did not donate any of it at all, is that fraud?

i know someone who is/has done it and i want to report them having donated money to that cause myself. they have the money to hand over to the charity but they are just keeping it.

money grabbing **** :mad:

Comments

• Options
    Obtaining money by deception and probably some type of fraud charge
  • Options
    I would say its more decpetion than fraud. But could be quite difficult to prove unless the person keeps accurate accounts of income and the money passed on.
  • Options
    they collected it in the work so its a bit hard to ascertain how much money was donated and who donated it.

its very frustrating.

if i was to report it, who would i go to? the police?
  • Options
    Yep
  • Options
    they collected it in the work so its a bit hard to ascertain how much money was donated and who donated it.

its very frustrating.

if i was to report it, who would i go to? the police?

Under these circs I would be tempted to speak with the person myself.

A) because it might be enough to make the person see what they are doing is wrong, without the involvment of the old bill.

B) The police would really struggle to prove anything without any accounts or record of money collected. In all fairness I cant see anything coming of it under these conditions.

You would contact the police if you thought thats the best option, however try thinking about how else you might sort this issue out.

:thumb:
  • Options
    the piggy wiggys do do something though- did you hear about that woman who scrounged £2.50 off someone's doorstep claiming it was for find maddy, when really it was for find me some more scag fund? She got done, so I don't see why anyone else wouldn't.
  • Options
    It is obtaining financial advantage by deception, and it is a very serious criminal offence.

I wouldn't bother confronting them, I'd shop them straight in to the rozzers. People who nick from charities are the lowest of the low; if any of my friends did that I'd never speak to them again.
  • Options
    Yeah agreed with the above - what a skank - report them, its definately a crime to obtain money by deception.

Loser!!

-Jess-
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    People who nick from charities are the lowest of the low

What about people who nick for charities - ie. charity muggers? In my opinion, they're not much better if at all.
  • Options
    what is a charity mugger?
  • Options
    if you knew somebody who had claimed money off people for a charitable cause but then they kept the money and did not donate any of it at all, is that fraud?

i know someone who is/has done it and i want to report them having donated money to that cause myself. they have the money to hand over to the charity but they are just keeping it.

money grabbing **** :mad:

I would make sure you know the facts before going to the police. They may just be waiting till they have all the money collected in.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    what is a charity mugger?

Charity muggers or 'chuggers' are the people who stand on the streets with clipboards and smile like they've double dropped asking you if they could just have a minute of your time...
  • Options
    ^^ P.O.T.W. :D

As for charity robbers, there's now a fat, charity robbing cunt, living somewhere in Birmingham, with a sore head. Hurrah !

You know those bins you often see in supermarkets for donations of pet food ? Well there's one in our Sanisbury's for a cat charity and we usually drop something in there. Didn't put anything in last week so put in a big bag of cat nibbly and some adult and kitten food pouches on our way out.

Popped over to the customer care counter as one of the deals hadn't come up on the receipt, funnily enough for the cat food, turned round to leave and said fat cunt and his fatter wife were lifting MY nibbly and cat food out of the charity bin, into their bags and leaving.

Quick chase, confronted fat boy, told me to fuck off and 'did i wanna make something of it ?' so i said yeah and shoved fat, robbing ass out of my face (not advocating violence here, but it did make me feel better) where by he slipped and banged his head on one of those change counting machines.

Took the cat food off him, put it back in the bin and reported him to security. Fucking prick.
  • Options
    A guy on my street of upbringing did this and served some jail time. The crime is known as 'conning'.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »

As for charity robbers, there's now a fat, charity robbing cunt, living somewhere in Birmingham, with a sore head. Hurrah !

You know those bins you often see in supermarkets for donations of pet food ? Well there's one in our Sanisbury's for a cat charity and we usually drop something in there. Didn't put anything in last week so put in a big bag of cat nibbly and some adult and kitten food pouches on our way out.

Popped over to the customer care counter as one of the deals hadn't come up on the receipt, funnily enough for the cat food, turned round to leave and said fat cunt and his fatter wife were lifting MY nibbly and cat food out of the charity bin, into their bags and leaving.

Quick chase, confronted fat boy, told me to fuck off and 'did i wanna make something of it ?' so i said yeah and shoved fat, robbing ass out of my face (not advocating violence here, but it did make me feel better) where by he slipped and banged his head on one of those change counting machines.

Took the cat food off him, put it back in the bin and reported him to security. Fucking prick.

My hero! :heart:

I hope everyone was applauding you :yes:

And as for obtaining money by deception, that will be dealt with severely by police :yes:
  • Options
    Also report it to the charity concerned and charity commission. They tend to take a dim view and will push the police to deal with it.
  • Options
    What about people who nick for charities - ie. charity muggers? In my opinion, they're not much better if at all.

that's nonsense. you think charities shouldn't be allowed to employ people to fundraise for them? you might not like being stopped by them but their not nicking anything.
  • Options
    beanbag wrote: »
    that's nonsense. you think charities shouldn't be allowed to employ people to fundraise for them? you might not like being stopped by them but their not nicking anything.

There's a difference between mugging people and asking them for money.
  • Options
    haha, that's not what charity mugger means. they dont actually mug anyone for charity! its just the name people give to those fundraisers who stop you on the street and try to get you to set up a direct debit to a charity.
  • Options
    beanbag wrote: »

It's not the charities I take exception to, it's the people who hassle me for £5 a month when they themselves are getting £8 an hour. I once asked one whether he thought that this was remotely hypocritical. He said no. What an arse. If they were doing it out of the kindness of their hearts then I might be remotely inclined to at least hear what they have to say. However, since they are taking a lot more from the charities than I imagine that they bring in, I consider them scum. And so should you all.
  • Options
    Large charities employ agencies to fundraise for them, and if the agencies don't bring in donations then they don't get paid. The agencies are paid commission, therefore if the agency staff don't get people to sign up they don't get paid either.

NSPCC, and the other major national charities, employ agencies to do their fundraising for them because it is much much cheaper for them to do this than do their own fundraising. After all, if they do it themselves and get nothing then they lose money, but if they pay someone commission to do it and they get nothing then they don't.

So actually they're making money for charities, rather than costing charities money.

If you object to people being paid to raise funds for charities then, by extension, you disagree with anyone being paid for their work if their employer is a charity. That'd be me and GWST both out of jobs then :chin:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Large charities employ agencies to fundraise for them, and if the agencies don't bring in donations then they don't get paid. The agencies are paid commission, therefore if the agency staff don't get people to sign up they don't get paid either.

NSPCC, and the other major national charities, employ agencies to do their fundraising for them because it is much much cheaper for them to do this than do their own fundraising. After all, if they do it themselves and get nothing then they lose money, but if they pay someone commission to do it and they get nothing then they don't.

So actually they're making money for charities, rather than costing charities money.

If you object to people being paid to raise funds for charities then, by extension, you disagree with anyone being paid for their work if their employer is a charity. That'd be me and GWST both out of jobs then :chin:

That's tough love I'm afraid :D

Seriously, like I said, it's not charities or giving (per se) I take exception to. It's the way chuggers hassle you. Especially when you're quite clearly a student and have no money which they seem to do all the time in Bristol and Winch. Perhaps it will be more acceptable when I'm dressed nicely in London town come a month or so.
  • Options

You're great! Both for putting the cat food in there to begin with (I love cats) and for your act of fat-man-deserved-abuse :-)

Hooray!

:hyper:
  • Options
    I'm surprised by the amount of bad comments in this thread. Someone on these boards falsely claimed money for a charity and they've pocketed it and it seems they have no intention of giving it in to the charity it was raised for. Ah well, what can you do. Theres scum like that about.

In that case then it should be reported to the charity that one of their collectors is not cashing in their money.

That's what I would do, but, if you don't feel like doing that, then you just have to hope that everntually that niggling bit of guilt that that person should feel about stealing the money from both the charity and the givers will eventually win out, because it's a morally reprehensible act in the entirity.
  • Options
    That's tough love I'm afraid :D

Seriously, like I said, it's not charities or giving (per se) I take exception to. It's the way chuggers hassle you. Especially when you're quite clearly a student and have no money which they seem to do all the time in Bristol and Winch. Perhaps it will be more acceptable when I'm dressed nicely in London town come a month or so.
    You sound like a right miserable sod.
  • Options
    What an absolute bellend for doing that.

Has anyone spoken to them about this?

ETA - Well done Rubberskin! x
  • Options
    I'm surprised by the amount of bad comments in this thread. Someone on these boards falsely claimed money for a charity and they've pocketed it and it seems they have no intention of giving it in to the charity it was raised for. Ah well, what can you do. Theres scum like that about.

er, who?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    er, who?

Look in Jake's thread on the last page.
  • Options

woohooo! Go you! :heart::D :thumb:
  • Options
    And the person did actually explain how it happened, I know they will pay the money over in due corse.

Some people just love to stick the knife in at any given oppournity.

Their birthday was a few days ago, what's to stop her giving her money from that?

Or borrowing? It wasn't her money and it's no one else's fault but her own that the money was taken from her account when she knew she had outgoings.

Ignorance doesn't stand up in court and it certainly doesn't stand up in this situation. Nothing about knives, it's about being selfish and completely thoughtless.

Why didn't she donate the money after her holiday or keep it seperate like it already was? She's STILL not gave it back.

The funny thing is that she's not even apologised.
This discussion has been closed.