Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

England V Germany

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jesus, England are shite.

Robinson is fucking terrible. Honestly, ANY English keeper would do a better job.

Richards is superb. Build a team around him.
  • Options
    However, why McClown stuck Richards, the best England player on the pitch in my opinion, in the centre when Ferdinand came off is quite beyond me. He was causing havoc down the wing so to then stick him in the centre is pure idiocy.
    I didn't watch the game cos I was busy but Richards has being outstanding at centre back for Man City this season, all the talk before the game was picking him there to start with so wouldn't judge Mclaren on that!!
    Oh and I'll be very dis-appointed if we get to the next major tournament and James is in the net, that guy is far worse than Robbo and we are in trouble if we have to play him!! I just don't trust the guy, every time the ball goes near him my hearts in my mouth expecting him to fuck up!! Robbo has his moments but overall is usually a lot more safe and assured! Please don't play James is my plea to Mclaren, if he's gonna drop Robbo then let someone else have a go, James has being there and being dropped, don't bring the donkey back!!
  • Options
    From the BBC:

England are investigating Manchester City keeper Kasper Schmeichel's international status to see if there is any chance of him forsaking Denmark for Steve McClaren's side. (Daily Mirror)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    From the BBC:

England are investigating Manchester City keeper Kasper Schmeichel's international status to see if there is any chance of him forsaking Denmark for Steve McClaren's side. (Daily Mirror)
    Would be good for the future maybe but a few good games for Man City doesn't make him international quality just yet, but if he prooved over time to be consistently good then all the better for England if he can play. Think he is still only young (late teens, early twenties without having a look)!!
    We still have Ben Foster and Scott Carson who are decent young keepers for the future but not ready I don't think to be thrown into a big international tournament, a mistake in the net at that level could ruin a player in my opinion!!
  • Options
    He is only about 20. TBH, I don't think he's really for something like that right and like you said, a few good games doesn't make him international quality yet. Maybe if he's still as good next season (and has played pretty much all games for City) then McLaren should consider it.
  • Options
    Definately should consider it if he wants to play for England, good keepers are hard to come by and they can win/lose you games with flashes of brilliance/stupidity.
  • Options
    Oh and I'll be very dis-appointed if we get to the next major tournament and James is in the net, that guy is far worse than Robbo and we are in trouble if we have to play him!! I just don't trust the guy, every time the ball goes near him my hearts in my mouth expecting him to fuck up!! Robbo has his moments but overall is usually a lot more safe and assured! Please don't play James is my plea to Mclaren, if he's gonna drop Robbo then let someone else have a go, James has being there and being dropped, don't bring the donkey back!!

A good Leeds fan, always staying loyal to the oldies! :thumb:
    Robinson did fuck up big time last night, but I agree, still by far a better keeper than James.

I don't reckon Kasper Schmeichel would play for England, his father played for Denmark and I reckon he will too. Although if I'm wrong, then yeah he's definately worth considering. Very promising at the moment.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    A good Leeds fan, always staying loyal to the oldies! :thumb:
    Robinson did fuck up big time last night, but I agree, still by far a better keeper than James.
    Loyal to most of them anyway :)

But yes Robbo did fuck up but he is the best keeper England have!!
  • Options
    Loyal to most of them anyway :)

cough harry kewell's a CUNT cough

:D
  • Options
    Someone on a Man City website I'm a member of met him one time, and asked him if he'd ever consider playing for England. He said no.

I think James deserved to be in goal last season tbh. It's not so much about Robinson being crap, it's to let him know that unless you perform, you will be dropped for the person who's in form for their club. There are far to many England players who have been used to playing no matter what in the past, and so have consistantly underperformed. Beckham (hardly played) started ahead of Wright-Phillips (on fire this season). Owen and Smith (hardly played and not match-fit) started ahead of Johnson (playing well even if he hasn't scored yet), Bent (fully fit), Derbyshire (playing well). And then he brings Crouch on, who isn't even eligable for the first game. It's not as if he's not fully aware of Crouch's abilities and how he can be played.
  • Options
    I don't think that Schmeichel is actually that good. He's got potential, but three top-flight games makes an England keeper not. Especially as he's fucking Danish.

The problem is that we have no stand-out keepers at the minute- Robinson is alright, Carson is alright, James is good for 88 minutes and can be relied on to drop two clangers, Foster's second-choice behind a geriatric Dutchman, Kirkland is too brittle.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I don't think that Schmeichel is actually that good. He's got potential, but three top-flight games makes an England keeper not.

He wasn't even great at Falkirk last season, it's all hype just because of his name. His first big fuck-up is only a matter of weeks away, then he'll be forgotten about.
  • Options
    Spitting image of his da though.

Does look a bit volatile though, reckon he'll turn out like a David James sort of keeper, shows real promise and talent but is just a bunffoun sometimes.
  • Options
    He really does flap at things though, I think he'll be one of these players who you hear about every season when a rubbish team like Man City start the season well that get hyped up ad-nauseum then fade away into nothingness.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    He really does flap at things though, I think he'll be one of these players who you hear about every season when a rubbish team like Man City start the season well that get hyped up ad-nauseum then fade away into nothingness.

Yeah whatever. We had one of the best defences in the Premier League before this season (so much so that Nicky Weaver was touted for England too), and we've spent £10m improving it. Micah Richards has a 100% tackle success rate for the season, which is just insane. Incidentally, it's obvious watching Man City that their new signings haven't gelled properly yet, so from an attacking perspective, the football can only get better. Portsmouth didn't stay up there all last season, yet people still rightly recognised how well David James performed. If he does well, everyone without big-four-only vision will recognise it.

Kasper's nowhere near good enough for international football yet though, and he's still very much our second choice keeper. He certainly looks to have good technique and generally comes to claim things well, but he's obviously going to make mistakes. Luckily for him, he's got some quality defenders to help him out when he does, like Richards against Man Utd when he spilled it.
  • Options
    If he does well, everyone without big-four-only vision will recognise it.
    Cos Robbo's in one of the big 4 teams??

I personally think Man City will do ok this season, but don't think they'll end up in the top four, UEFA cup at the most! I'd be happy to be prooved wrong though especially if it was at the expense of their Manchester rivals :)
  • Options
    Cos Robbo's in one of the big 4 teams??

Well if there was an English keeper in the top 4, you might have a point.

There are tonnes of examples of England having an "if he's fit, he plays" attitude, or sometimes even an "if he can run, he plays" attitude. Some players over the past few years have been untouchable because of the managers refusal to pick a player that's in form from a smaller club as anything other than a squad member.

If Brazil had had England's attitude, Rivaldo and Ronaldo would still be playing instead of Ronaldinho and Robinho. If Argentina had England's attitude, Crespo would still be ahead of Tevez in the pecking order. If Spain had England's attitude, then Raul would still be being picked ahead of Torres. How many English strikers have to have 20 goal seasons before Michael Owen is ousted as automatic first choice? How many goals from midfield did Shaun Wright-Phillips have to score for Man City before he would play something other than a supporting role for Sir David? How long does Wayne Bridge have to be out of the Chelsea team before we decide that how well he played for England a few years ago isn't a valid method of selection for a national team? I don't feel that players get a chance unless one of the established players is injured, even in a friendly, and more importantly, even when the established player's current form is shit. If they eventually do manage to make it onto the pitch, it's invariably at the period in the game where another 5 players have been replaced, and the team has lost all of its shape.

And I guess that's more the point. Not the team they come from (though I think there is an attitude that if someone doesn't play for a top club, they're not proven at the top level, and not good enough for more than a bit-part in England) but players being picked on reputation rather than form. And it's just proved itself in Jamie Carragher quitting international football because he feels that the likes of Rio and Terry are automatically picked if they're fit (and it's not as if Ferdinand in particular hasn't had periods of dodgy form in the past few years).

And of course when circumstances dictate that a less high profile player is picked in a competitive match from the start, he often surprises everyone by actually being able to do the job (Trevor Sinclair, Danny Mills, Nicky Butt, Owen Hargreaves).
  • Options
    I understand your point in some cases but we do not have an English keeper better than Robbo IMO. I do not want James in the net whether he's performing for his club or not, although the goal he let slide under him at the weekend shows he isn't great!!

Shaun Wright-phillips made his own bed by moving to Chelsea as a bit-part squad player, now he has to lie in it, one good season for Man City doesn't mean he should start for England, yes if he'd have gone to Chelsea and carried on his good form playing week in and out then he would have had an argument!! Now hes getting picked for Chelsea then he should be back in contention!!

Another Left back as good as Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge??? Its just a shame there both fighting for the same spot at club level also!!

Personally what I think did it for Carragher is not even getting into the squad when that big lump of shit Wes Brown started at right back, think that would piss anyone off to be fair!!
  • Options
    Another Left back as good as Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge??? Its just a shame there both fighting for the same spot at club level also!!

When Bridge starts playing club football you might have a point about him for England. But for now I think Shorey's earned his chance.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    When Bridge starts playing club football you might have a point about him for England. But for now I think Shorey's earned his chance.
    But if Coles fit then Shorey wouldn't get a sniff anyway, maybe be good for him being in the squad but he's not gonna get a chance while Coles fit and if coles injured then Bridge will be playing club football and is more experienced and the better option IMO!!
  • Options
    Shaun Wright-phillips made his own bed by moving to Chelsea as a bit-part squad player, now he has to lie in it, one good season for Man City doesn't mean he should start for England, yes if he'd have gone to Chelsea and carried on his good form playing week in and out then he would have had an argument!! Now hes getting picked for Chelsea then he should be back in contention!!
    First things first, why does an excellent season not warrant an England starting place? Especially when there wasn't another right winger in any sort of form? Secondly, he scored 11 goals from the wing for two season in a row, and had a fair few assists too. This was at a time that Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't even getting double figures for goals and assists combined, yet everyone was banging on about how he was one of the best wingers in the world. See this is exactly the sort of problem I'm on about. You won't even consider him until he does it for Chelsea too. Well I'm afraid the managers of Brazil, Argentina, France, Holland, and any other half decent country would seem to agree with me.

The other irritating thing is that if a player does get selected for England, and has a bit of a mare, even if they only got half a game or less, everyone jumps on their back and says that half a game proves that they're not good enough "at this level." "This level" often being against an international team that is far worse than anything you'd find in the Premiership.
    Everyone actually playing in the premiership should be ahead of Bridge in the pecking order on the basis that they're actually playing football rather than sitting on their arse. How is there any incentive to play well if you're gonna be selected no matter what?
  • Options
    Well first things first also, whenever I saw SWP's play he looked more like he was falling over the ball than actually dribbling, he got past players with lucky ricochets off defenders and his own legs, he had pace but his final ball 5 times out of 10 was an absolute joke, he wasn't good enough at that point IMO to warrant an England place, he had a few chances and didn't perform that great so why should he be in the England team??

I've said this before but i'll say it again; If a player is performing for his club then he should get a chance, if then he doesn't perform then why should he stay in the side?? Fat Frank for example, plays sweet for Chelsea, stick him in an England shirt and hes crap so he should be dropped, he shouldn't be their on merit cos hes playing well for Chelski!!

Oh and where did I say I won't consider him unless he did well for Chelsea?? I said he made his own bed by moving to Chelsea, he went for the big boys, the big bucks and it backfired when he hardly played a game just as he WAS coming into contention for England, IMO he should have stayed at Man City and I'm sure he would have had a lot more chances with England! And I also reckon he would have gone to the World Cup, or is it different with SWP's?? Would you have taken him to the World Cup??

Kind of agree about Bridge but unless cAshleys injured then he won't play anyway, and if cAshley is injured he will be playing regular football for Chelsea, he has shown in the past he is good enough so hes there for back up to cAshley just like he is at Chelsea!! If he was starting for England then fair enough you have a valid point but he's not!!

ETA - I do think now SWP's (if he carrys on playing regular for Chelsea) should get his chance, from what I've seen of him so far this season, he is 10 times better player than he was at Man City, his dribblings improved, his strengths improved and his final ball has improved!!
  • Options
    Well first things first also, whenever I saw SWP's play he looked more like he was falling over the ball than actually dribbling, he got past players with lucky ricochets off defenders and his own legs, he had pace but his final ball 5 times out of 10 was an absolute joke, he wasn't good enough at that point IMO to warrant an England place, he had a few chances and didn't perform that great so why should he be in the England team??
    Haha, yeah he got lucky 11 times a season. :rolleyes: His crossing has improved at Chelsea, but the fact is that when he was at Man City, he was the most effective English right winger (statistically proven). And if we're talking about technical ability, he was better than most of the crap English clubs churn out. And he never had a few chances at Man City. He scored with a 40 yard run on his debut against the Ukraine, then was second fiddle to Beckham for every game England had. It's not just him. Kevin Nolan, Gareth Barry, Joey Barton, Andy Johnson, the list goes on. England always start with exactly the same players, even in a friendly. Why do these players never get a start?
  • Options
    Haha, yeah he got lucky 11 times a season. :rolleyes: His crossing has improved at Chelsea, but the fact is that when he was at Man City, he was the most effective English right winger (statistically proven). And if we're talking about technical ability, he was better than most of the crap English clubs churn out. And he never had a few chances at Man City. He scored with a 40 yard run on his debut against the Ukraine, then was second fiddle to Beckham for every game England had. It's not just him. Kevin Nolan, Gareth Barry, Joey Barton, Andy Johnson, the list goes on. England always start with exactly the same players, even in a friendly. Why do these players never get a start?
    Haha, the times I saw him play he could of got lucky 11 times with 1 run with the way the ball bounced off his legs, call that dribbling?? Cos I certainly didn't!! His final ball the majority of the time was crap, absolutely shocking!! The only argument he had for getting picked (at that time) was his pace, his dribbling and crossing was poor, very poor, whereas Beckham did have and still has one of the best right foots in the game!!
    At that time SWP's could skin a man but then his cross went into the stands, entertaining watching him running at people but frustrating watching him waste cross after cross after cross!!

His crossing from what I've seen so far is a lot lot better than when he was at Man City, now he could be good enough for England, the fact of the matter is he wasn't when he was at City!!
  • Options
    When SWP was at Man City he wasn't as good or as effective as Beckham, but now Beckham's not so effective SWP can't get a look-in at Chelsea. Players should be selected on form not club, and Chelsea reserves cannot possibly have the form required for England.

Shorey won't play ahead of Ashley Cole, but he is playing regularly and well and should be ahead of players like Bridge, who struggles to get a game for Chelsea reserves.

The reason why England don't use other players in friendlies is because the manager is vilified if things are tested and they don't work. Eriksson was sacked primarily for his friendly record.