Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

i make an idiot out of myself

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went for a quiz night with my friends and some people I dont know. I just made a complete tit out of myself 'trying' to be funny or whatever I dont know.

One of the questions was 'what do you call people in the 90+ age group?' and i said dead really loudly.

Then another was 'there was a volunteer group that went around America crime stopping..What were they called?' and I said KKK.

Everyone at the table laughed but I was just known as the thick one. Like all the attention went on me for a 'stupid' answer. I feel really embarassed

Comments

• Options
    How do you know they weren't laughing with you?
  • Options
    I don't really. I'd rather be the quiet intelligent one rather than the giggling wreck thicko type. I feel really shit over it and it's no big deal I know. Just I was looking forward to tonight and instead I make a tit of myself.

When I'm shy I either dont talk at all or just say stupid things.
  • Options
    It probably seems more of a thing to you, than to other people. They may not have even noticed, let alone remembered. You got that horrible cringy feeling? I hate that.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Those you said seemed funny to me. I wouldn't really laugh at the second to be honest, but as no one was offended it's all good. I don't think you made a tit of yourself or anything.
  • Options
    It probably seems more of a thing to you, than to other people. They may not have even noticed, let alone remembered. You got that horrible cringy feeling? I hate that.

yeah i have it right now :blush:
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    yeah i have it right now :blush:

Aw, don't worry about it. At least you weren't one of those pedantic people who argue over every point and are super competative at something as friendly as a pub quiz!
  • Options
    yeah i guess, at one point a question was asked and i burst out giggling cuz i thought of a what a deemed as 'funny' answer in my head..i looked like a nut..ahhh welll..onwards and upwards. meh!!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm sure i won't have had too much attention paid to it. You seemed very clever to me anyway :)
  • Options
    haha, that pub quiz machine was fun =)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    haha, that pub quiz machine was fun =)
    It so was. Think we were way too clever for it though seen as we nearly emptied it!
  • Options
    dudette, noone will have noticed the things you find cringy and play over again in your mind- truely. Have a bit of confidence in yourself -- you are a beautiful blosoming young lady, and I'm sure people found you charming.
  • Options
    Don't worry about it...i've said some really, really, really stupid things before and those aren't anywhere near as stupid as some of the things i've said.
  • Options
    I went for a quiz night with my friends and some people I dont know. I just made a complete tit out of myself 'trying' to be funny or whatever I dont know.

One of the questions was 'what do you call people in the 90+ age group?' and i said dead really loudly.

Then another was 'there was a volunteer group that went around America crime stopping..What were they called?' and I said KKK.

Everyone at the table laughed but I was just known as the thick one. Like all the attention went on me for a 'stupid' answer. I feel really embarassed

You first answer is kinda funny but your 2nd could have gotten you into some hot water

Like they said on Charlie Brown ....better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid then to open your mouth and prove them right .. :)

Not saying this is the case but sometimes less is more. But I'd say they'd all forgotten about it by now.
  • Options
    That's funny :)
    That's proper offensive :no:
  • Options

Don't worry, I expect everyone knew you were taking the piss, so nobody thought you were the 'thick one'.

I'm rubbish at pub quizzes though, even in the history questions :o
  • Options
    Yeah I was aiming for ironic racism but only me and my close friends can do that without it being misconstrued. Ahhhhhhh still cringing but I'll get over it. Think I was in a bit of a state cuz of the appointment with the therapist so over-excited to get out the house.
  • Options
    It's alright, I thought Tunisia was in Europe till about three hours ago and got cruelly mocked and laughed at.

Better to come out with random stupid stuff just like that than be one of these people who operate a 5-10 second time delay when you're trying to have a conversation with them.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    It's alright, I thought Tunisia was in Europe till about three hours ago and got cruelly mocked and laughed at.

That's nothin'.

My friend at work, who is from Malawi, and thought she knew EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY IN AFRICA, only just found out that there's a country called Eritrea and that it was in Africa. I laughed. Especially since she asked if it was small, and our friend (who is ALSO from Malawi) said it was bigger than her home country ;o.

Oh, and my sister once seriously asked me if bananas were made from milk.
  • Options
    Yeah, as others have said, they probably didn't think much of it. Even if you are the quiet inteligent one, it was at a pub and I'm sure people got quite a kick out of it. Like Scrote said, they were probably laughing with you. I know I would have been! Sounded like a good funny time, all light hearted.

Dead was hilarous, even sitting across the room if I heard that, would probably get a good giggle out of it.
  • Options

You sound like a good laugh IMO.
    Better than being miserable hun.
  • Options

I thought Torquay was in eastern Europe :blush:
  • Options
    It's alright, I thought Tunisia was in Europe.

As did I. However, my geography is terrible.
  • Options
    For the longest time, i thought that Detroit (in the US) was a state, rather than a city. :P

Oh, and wayyyy back when i was like, 8, we had to draw a map of Australia, and i got Adelaide and Melbourne mixed up - i thought that Melbourne was in South Australia and that Adelaide was in Victoria (its the other way around, btw)...it wasn't long before my teacher corrected me believe me!!!! :P

But seriously, how the hell Americans can possibly keep track of 50 states is far beyond me. :P
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Nobody's worse in geography matters than me.
    A couple of years back, I asked someone where she was from and she said Kaisariani.
    Later, I tried to find out if that was an island or a village somewhere.
    You know what I found out? Kaisariani is a (pretty big) part of Athens -where I've lived all my life.
  • Options
    Yay I'm not alone. :)

There was this confusing 'bubble buster' question at the end which described types of husbands like the new age husband and the definition then he asked what a 'heeler husband' was.

So I opened up my gob to the people on my table and said wasnt there that Aretha Franklin song..'Son of a healer man?'. Apparently it's PREACHER not healer :blush:

But that we had to write down our individual answers on a piece of paper so I just put 'a husband who buys his wife a lot of high heeled shoes'. Didn't realise they would get read out at the end.
  • Options
    But seriously, how the hell Americans can possibly keep track of 50 states is far beyond me. :P

I can name all 50 states and their State Capitals, if you give me enough time to think of the shitty wee states hardly anyone has heard of.
  • Options

They don't - for the most part. So long as you know your own, you're good.
  • Options
    In the quiz we had to name all the countries that end with E.

I managed France and Chile then gave up.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I can name all 50 states and their State Capitals, if you give me enough time to think of the shitty wee states hardly anyone has heard of.
    We once spent a timed essay (we used to get left alone to do them because our teacher had to teach another class during one period and then ours the next period) period in History trying to remember all 50 US States and we managed it, after like an hour.

Our teacher wasn't happy with our essays though :o
  • Options
    if i had a pound for every time id said/done something stupid that i thought was funny and it made me look a right tit then i would be pretty wealthy right now, id be excentric instead of a nutter lol